Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

If his numbers climb after last night's performance then we're in even deeper trouble than we thought.

Forget Watson - we need a panel of political scientists, historians, and supreme court judges sitting around a table with buzzers fact checking in real time.  Any time someone says something irrefutably false they get a buzz.  Three buzzes and you need to swap out with your running mate for the rest of the debate.

I was thinking that Hillary needed to have cards printed with his tweets and quotes. "Here is your tweet dated something something 2006, Donald, where you said you hoped to profit from any housing crisis." That's what it would take. Otherwise he's just going to lie harder, safe in the knowledge that virtually no voter will fact check him later.

Trump's core supporters have repeatedly shown they aren't impressed by facts. He says what they feel, which is apparently more important to them. I remain to be convinced that facts would sway enough undecided voters to make the difference.

I recommend looking up Stephen Colbert's sketch on "Trumpiness" on YouTube. It identifies this phenomenon surprisingly clearly.

If his numbers climb after last night's performance then we're in even deeper trouble than we thought.

Forget Watson - we need a panel of political scientists, historians, and supreme court judges sitting around a table with buzzers fact checking in real time.  Any time someone says something irrefutably false they get a buzz.  Three buzzes and you need to swap out with your running mate for the rest of the debate.

I've got to ask, what happens when Pence and Kaine get 3 buzzes (which should be at about the halfway point of the scheduled debate)

Hillary was sharp, poised and well-prepared. Trump was incoherent, sputtering and sniffing and frequently interrupting her. He bungled several topics, including the birther issue, his treatment of women, his tax returns and business affairs, and foreign policy. The only time he made a positive foray was on trade.

Hillary was sharp, poised and well-prepared. Trump was incoherent, sputtering and sniffing and frequently interrupting her. He bungled several topics, including the birther issue, his treatment of women, his tax returns and business affairs, and foreign policy. The only time he made a positive foray was on trade.

But trade, and its (highly debated) effect on jobs, matters more to a lot of American voters than those other issues, particularly in the battleground states, several of which lie in the so-called "rust belt" of manufacturing-heavy economies, where many believe they've lost jobs to globalization.

I've got to ask, what happens when Pence and Kaine get 3 buzzes (which should be at about the halfway point of the scheduled debate)

That's when they release the lions into the arena.

I was thinking 'suspend debate and reschedule.  Keep trying until at least one side can make it through an entire debate without getting buzzed out' ... but I can back Old Man's plan.

But trade, and its (highly debated) effect on jobs, matters more to a lot of American voters than those other issues, particularly in the battleground states, several of which lie in the so-called "rust belt" of manufacturing-heavy economies, where many believe they've lost jobs to globalization.

Exactly - "They took our jobs! I'll bring them back! And give them to true, legal Americans!" is the heart of Trumps platform.  I'd like to think that the majority of his supporters fall into the camp of 'oh brother, he's opening his mouth again but ... it would be really nice to reopen those steel mills.'.

THe problem is that he's about as unlikely to be able to deliver on his campaign promises as any other candidate in political history (from head of the PTA up) - and I'm ok with that.  What I'm not OK with is how he'll represent the USA on the international stage while failing to deliver - the debate proved that even when he's trying hard he can be rattled. He WILL be rattled.

Presidents can't afford to get rattled.

It seems Hillary is being held to a higher standard of honesty by the public than the Donald. Not that she hasn't done things that are questionable or suspicious, if not actually illegal; but the number of statements Trump has made during this campaign which simply don't match verifiable facts are hard to tally by this point. I suspect it's become primarily a matter of self-perpetuating perception of the candidates, rather than their objective reality.

I just wish Jeb Bartlet was running. :(

http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/28/politics/army-tweet-donald-trump/index.html

Apparently the US Army officially tweeted that Donald Trump lies every 3 minutes and 15 seconds...

Accidentally. But it's still funny.

How can we believe the accuracy of the US Army if Trump knows more than their Generals do?  :)