Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

Of course, if the Democrats do take the Presidency and the Senate, they could take the nuclear option and just appoint two additional Supreme Court justices. It would be unprecedented, of course, but there's nothing that says that number has to be nine.

That's the thing about starting down the path of saying "the rules don't matter," whether it's the rules of propriety or the Constitution, or anything in between.

Here we are, after decades of undeclared wars, rule by executive order, and an ever-expanding Executive Branch, and now the President can apparently do whatever he wants as long as his party holds one branch of Congress; the Senate Leadership can save Supreme Court Justice picks until his party has the Presidency; and so on.

Sure, they're all called out in media, but it doesn't matter. Because the rules don't matter. Not really. Not when it comes down to it. What matters is what We The People do to the folks who break the rules.

And apparently, we don't do anything to them any more, so long as they're "on our team."

Which is great, because I'm fully in support of this totally Constitutional way to remake the Constitution ;):

https://harvardlawreview.org/2020/01/pack-the-union-a-proposal-to-admit-new-states-for-the-purpose-of-amending-the-constitution-to-ensure-equal-representation/

The old way of doing things in government in the United States was well thought-out for two-and-a-half centuries ago, and stood the test of time remarkably well; but it's becoming clear that it's no longer adequate for the world we live in today, which the Founding Fathers could never have imagined. If America is to thrive through the current century, some bold actions to change the system may prove necessary.

4 hours ago, Cygnia said:

It seems the only thing making these avowed gun-rights activists politically active is any perceived infringement on the Second Amendment. Boys, if you don't stand up for all other citizens' rights, by the time the government actually comes to take your guns away you'll already have lost everything worth fighting for.

It doesn't read to me like it's the gun rights activists that are the problem, rather that a militia group or groups plan to use the rally as cover to act out. Now, you could point out that militia groups are very likely for gun rights, but I think we have multiple groups, with Group A being normal protesters and Group B being radicals looking to capitalize on the event.

8 minutes ago, Pattern Ghost said:

It doesn't read to me like it's the gun rights activists that are the problem, rather that a militia group or groups plan to use the rally as cover to act out. Now, you could point out that militia groups are very likely for gun rights, but I think we have multiple groups, with Group A being normal protesters and Group B being radicals looking to capitalize on the event.

Given what I've seen with the Bundys and the people they attract, they're for their gun rights, not the rights of others to carry.

34 minutes ago, Pattern Ghost said:

Agreed, and I apologize if I gave the impression I was lumping all of them together. But speaking generally, I stand by my original assertion.

6 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

But speaking generally, I stand by my original assertion.

There's certainly no shortage of single issue voters when it comes to gun rights. Or on a lot of other hot button issues. I personally see that mindset as both myopic and perfectly natural. Politicians thrive by pushing all those buttons and sowing divisiveness.

On 1/14/2020 at 12:59 PM, L. Marcus said:

It wouldn't be the first time that happened, right?

Numbers have changed, but it has been 9, since the 1860s, I believe.  

Not something that I would support, if done we will be adding 2 more justices every time, they change parties of power.  DC joke-filled enough as it is.

The one major change I do support is passing a new Apportionment Act, substantially increasing the membership of the House of Representatives(and, by doing so, increasing the size of the electoral college and diluting the population distorting effect of adding two electors per state for the Senate).  It reduces the likelihood of a "fluke" EC win and popular vote loss while making the House more representative of the diversity of the population.  Third party candidates would also have a more meaningful chance of winning, running in smaller congressional districts.  And I'd package it with provisions for non-partisan, independent redistricting commissions to cut way down on partisan gerrymandering.  

On 1/15/2020 at 4:35 AM, Cassandra said:

Last nights Democratic Debate proved one thing above all.  

Tom Steyer is actually a character created by Donny Most.  Welcome back, Ralph Malph!

One of the Dem's weaknesses, seems to be they under the quixotic impression that debates are actually helping them.

33 minutes ago, megaplayboy said:

The one major change I do support is passing a new Apportionment Act, substantially increasing the membership of the House of Representatives(and, by doing so, increasing the size of the electoral college and diluting the population distorting effect of adding two electors per state for the Senate).  It reduces the likelihood of a "fluke" EC win and popular vote loss while making the House more representative of the diversity of the population.  Third party candidates would also have a more meaningful chance of winning, running in smaller congressional districts.  And I'd package it with provisions for non-partisan, independent redistricting commissions to cut way down on partisan gerrymandering.  

well along those lines, while I support the EC, I would be for a change in it.  Where, the state winner, gets the 2 Senate votes, but each Representative vote goes to the winner of the perpective district.  I feel it at least be truly indicative of the people (fluke turns in close elections would still be possible, it happens).  But, my goal on that would be, so cases of districts who tend to lean the opposite of their state, will have more of a motivation to come out and vote.