Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

What I read about the alleged sex tape suggests it isn't even a very good one. Grainy footage of mixed-gender bed sharing in a South American Big Brother-alike "reality" show. Definitely disgusting. Yeah. Won't do the woman in question's career any harm, I think.

The mind boggles, though, at the double standards of a man who admits he fancies his daughter and once owned the rights to Miss Universe.

Speaking of noise, the sex tape controversy could work out in his favor by distracting from some of the othaer revelations last week. There's plenty of evidence now that the Trump Foundation was routinely used as a tax-evading slush fund for Donald's personal expenses and legal settlements.

Kind of a dirty thing the author did to someone with mental problems.

I agree, that's not appropriate.

This is wrong. You don't take advantage of someone's vulnerability like that author does. Really unpleasant, and seems lacking in ethics. There are other ways to make the point without exposing this woman's issues to the nation in this way.

It was only 916 million.  :P

I'm not really sure  how much this will influence voters. There was already a story that he'd be better off financially if he'd stuck all of the money his father gave/loaned him into an index fund and not invested it. I think most people have already decided how much they care about his business acumen by this point.

If he's smart, he can spin it to showing that even The Donald has had a hard time thanks to those evil establishment types, which is something his base will sympathize with.

Did Trump fire his handlers again? Just... wow. 

To recap:

He's not a misogynist because the witness is disgusting, has a sex tape, and was probably sponsored by the Democrats as a desperation weapon to use against him.

His opponent isn't fit to be president because her loyalty is only to herself and big business. Also she probably cheated on her husband.

It's been a joke the entire campaign but do we seriously need to worry about trade or military action if someone like Merkel tweeted "Just met President Trump.  Thoroughly unpleasant man.".?

It's sunday morning and the Times got a page of Trump's taxes where he lost a billion dollars and that's why he hasn't had to pay his taxes for the last twenty years

CES

And Rudy Giuliani is praising Trump's "financial genius" for using the loophole in the tax laws that way. Which he only could do because he lost $916 million.

The spin on that one could generate a tornado.

Trump compares PTSD and mental illness to weakness

I am worried about myself, because lately I am feeling a real, visceral anger about this man.  I should probably cut my political news time at this point.

First topic: Why do you give him so much power over your emotions? It is a legitimate question. Trump has turned out to thrive on the antagonism created by his stupid comments. Don't feed into that.

Second topic: Yes. I agree. I think everybody should cut their political news time, look at as many facts as possible about all of the candidates, and stop listening to the neverending spin. As I was driving around, I was switching between the local news station and the local NPR station. Distilling down to the core; Local News: Liberals are evil bastards that are spinning media events to their advantage, all while their party is splitting due to political infighting. NPR: Conservatives are evil bastards that are spinning media events to their advantage, all the while their party is splitting due to political infighting. I've never had much trust in the media. I've always likened my distrust of media as being less than trusting that a known murderer, armed with a knife, having declared his intention to kill me, will actually spare my life. News, and Political news specifically, is simply anathema to any sort of peaceful society.