Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

13 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

I saw an interview with an Iowa delegate who claimed, "When we play it safe, like Hillary Clinton, we lose. When we take a chance, like Barack Obama, we win." I have to wonder how widespread that sentiment is among Democrats now.

I lean that way myself. The phrase that comes to mind is "light a fire under their asses" ..inelegant, but I think it fits when it comes to motivating voters.

It's why if I had any input in the choice of Democratic candidate, I'd go with Sanders. His vision and message are clear, passionate, and diametrically opposed to Trump's. In fact, aside from being male, old, white, and a political outsider, Sanders is in every way Trump's opposite. And those first few might actually help him in today's politics. ;)

25 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

It's why if I had any input in the choice of Democratic candidate, I'd go with Sanders. His vision and message are clear, passionate, and diametrically opposed to Trump's. In fact, aside from being male, old, white, and a political outsider, Sanders is in every way Trump's opposite. And those first few might actually help him in today's politics. ;)

I would change old to like really, really old and, since he's a career politician, remove political outsider altogether.  He's absolutely the last democrat I'd pick.  He won't excite moderate dems and he'll scare away or just be ignored by many independents.  Trump will crush him.

7 minutes ago, Starlord said:

I would change old to like really, really old and, since he's a career politician, remove political outsider altogether.  He's absolutely the last democrat I'd pick.  He won't excite moderate dems and he'll scare away or just be ignored by many independents.  Trump will crush him.

Fair point of view; but three of the four Democratic front-runners, as well as the incumbent President, are 70+. Bernie has always been outside the party apparatus, even if he's practiced politics most of his adult life. And if anyone should have scared away moderate Republicans and independents, it's Donald Trump. I don't think middle-of-the-road is going to excite anyone in today's political climate. And IMHO Sanders is the only Dem in the running now who's actually close to exciting.

11 minutes ago, Starlord said:

Trump's acquittal speech is on now.  It's making me physically ill...i'm not kidding.  Imagine Trump as an engine...now rev the engine a 1000% past redline.

Nicely done, democrats...he's stronger than ever now.

IMO the Democrats had no choice -- if they didn't take action they'd be accused of standing for nothing. Trump's base isn't growing, and weren't going to leave however the trial went. We have to see how this all plays out come election day.

But I'm with you on Trump's braying. I can't listen to anything that comes out of that smug, smirking, orange mouth for more than a minute without wanting to throw up. :sick:

They should have stuck with censure from the House...and should have known the senate would not allow witnesses and eventually acquit him.  IMO, more and more people are beginning to gain sympathy for Trump as a victim who is just getting picked on at this point.  And boy did he play the victim in his acquittal speech

2 hours ago, Starlord said:

They should have stuck with censure from the House...and should have known the senate would not allow witnesses and eventually acquit him.  IMO, more and more people are beginning to gain sympathy for Trump as a victim who is just getting picked on at this point.  And boy did he play the victim in his acquittal speech

I'm concerned for that mostly because his talk of 'traitors' in his speeches.  Frankly he's been consistently speaking as a president willing to have his opposition physically harmed and arrested since the campaign trail.  A lot of the 'faithful' people who support him are encouraged by that.  There is a real want of a leader that will throw 'everyone else' in jail.  Even other citizenry.  Mind, I don't know if he will go to that extend, he just talks like he will.  He tows the line, tests the waters, and sees how far he can go.

Whether the rest of the country will allow that or not is a real question, and the chief opposition to that would be the entire rest of the Federal government.  I dislike the FBI and CIA, but in a dark twist those apparatuses are the only thing preventing that kind of dictatorial takeover, and only as long as they oppose the current power structure.  It wouldn't be the first time, at least from rumors, that something like that has been considered here.

So as much as people loathe the current democratic apparatus, I have no illusions on what kind of struggle is going on here.  The Republican party has been receding because of a large, young, nonreligious body.  They must take over the country, in ideology or literally, if they are to continue to exist, long term.  (Ideology has been the typical apparatus)

And of course, true, any opposition will be happy to shove them out of the door.

A member of the Utah State House of Representatives has filed a resolution to censure Senator Mitt Romney after his vote to convict the President for abuse of power. The Representative in question is a Republican, of course. 

The GOP here in Utah suddenly has a lot of nasty stuff to say about our junior Senator. "Disloyal" is a word that has come up a lot.

As far as I'm concerned, if state Republicans think that loyalty to the Party is more important than loyalty to the truth, or even loyalty to the nation, then screw 'em.  Senator Romney is better off without 'em. 

24 minutes ago, Pariah said:

The GOP here in Utah suddenly has a lot of nasty stuff to say about our junior Senator. "Disloyal" is a word that has come up a lot.

That's exactly what I'm concerned about.  That kind of attitude exists in both parties, but I'm genuinely afraid because of how many violent extremist groups align with 'right wing' bodies.  The fact that we have leadership that openly encourages/flaunts that behavior is extremely concerning to me.

But I would like to think our country knows better.

38 minutes ago, Pariah said:

I hope you're right.

It's a dealbreaker.  Saying you'd rather destroy your enemies (literally) than cooperate is functionally country-ending.  There's no such thing as a free nation in those circumstances.

I don't mean in the 'we are not satisfied with our gov't' type of way.  I mean in the "autobahn workers protesting their treatment were thrown in concentration camps too" type of way:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ludlow_Massacre

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mountain_Meadows_Massacre

I'm preaching to the choir, here.  But try and remind people that a government without competition is not a friendly government.

(edit: you can tell I'm highly frustrated by what I've been seeing in the news lately, can't you >_>)

1 hour ago, Hermit said:

One has to wonder what would happen if Romney was thrown out of the GOP or left it, and decided to run as a third party guy? 

Minimal, most likely.  The GOP now hates him, the Dems will hate him again in 3 weeks.  And most people who are voting are going to vote for or against Trump (which means the Dem candidate).

He'd probably get the GOP who will never vote for Trump no matter what vote.  But, that might be taking votes from the Democrat candidate if anything.

1 hour ago, Pariah said:

A member of the Utah State House of Representatives has filed a resolution to censure Senator Mitt Romney after his vote to convict the President for abuse of power. The Representative in question is a Republican, of course. 

As far as I'm concerned, if state Republicans think that loyalty to the Party is more important than loyalty to the truth, or even loyalty to the nation, then screw 'em.  Senator Romney is better off without 'em. 

Umm, 99% of politicians first loyalty is to the party.  :winkgrin:

14 minutes ago, Badger said:

Umm, 99% of politicians first loyalty is to the party.  :winkgrin:

I agree.

That's the problem.

"However {political parties} may now and then answer popular ends, they are likely in the course of time and things, to become potent engines, by which cunning, ambitious, and unprincipled men will be enabled to subvert the power of the people and to usurp for themselves the reins of government, destroying afterwards the very engines which have lifted them to unjust dominion."

~ George Washington, Farewell address, September 17th, 1796