Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

1 hour ago, DShomshak said:

Isn't that the long-time accusations conservatives have made against Democrats? That they create and nurture a class of people dependent on government handouts and so will keep voting for the party that provides them?

IOKIYAR.  The same goes for (corporate) welfare and shockingly high budget deficits.

3 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

Hmm... I'm not so sure this bill isn't worth passing into law. Its underlying principle is equality for all, and non-segregated display of goods is an inroad to general public awareness of and acceptance for both diversity and integration.

Or maybe wildly ridiculous governmental overreach. Tomato, "tomahto"

And that's coming from a Bay Area, Northern California, local government progressive. 

This is a mechanism to fine business for display arrangements on children's clothing that don't conform to gender neutral content. I can't even begin to point out the innumerable ways this is a waste of time and effort. I'm as friendly a constituent as you are likely to find in North America and I find this pretty close to offensive. 

I think it's a good idea, if properly implemented.  Clothing retailers are notorious for charging much more for "girls'" clothes than for "boys'" clothes, even when they're the exact same item.  My only hesitation is that retailers might be inspired to display their clothes options in such a way as to make it impossible for parents to find anything, but I'd like to think they won't be inclined to shoot themselves in the foot like that.

Gender neutral toy displays should have been implemented decades ago.

of course, me and my mother still have an argument over whether or not, she accidentally bought and made me go to school wearing girls' pants when I was 9.  The peer review was against her, so.

On that angle, maybe when shouldn't make it more confusing, and leave a kid to misery, because their mother got confused in what section they were in.

Now not really a problem with the toy angle.

1 hour ago, Badger said:

of course, me and my mother still have an argument over whether or not, she accidentally bought and made me go to school wearing girls' pants when I was 9.  The peer review was against her, so.

On that angle, maybe when shouldn't make it more confusing, and leave a kid to misery, because their mother got confused in what section they were in.

Now not really a problem with the toy angle.

My Mom was letting me choose my casual wear since I was very little. That meant that I started dressing preppy at about age 4 (when I apparently demanded my first Izod polo). I wore a uniform to my private elementary school, so I only experienced "peer review" after I moved to Las Vegas, and started attending public school.

Segregated toy sections in stores have always bugged me. I give out Hot Wheels cars to the trick-or-treaters on Halloween, and my experience is that the boys and girls both like them. There's nothing wrong with a boy playing with dolls, nor is there anything wrong with a girl playing in the dirt with trucks. 

12 minutes ago, Hermit said:

Huh.. I may have been too hard on the Youth turn out

I was with the article up till the end when they pulled the 'media-elite' conspiracy theory crap.  It's the same logical fallacy that the writer(s) are accusing others of.  Not a conspiracy theory guy, never will be as they all fall apart when faced with a reasonable sense of scrutiny.  It makes much more sense that many media people just aren't good at their job and/or spout talking points that somebody else screwed up.  I heard more than one person on the major networks say that Sanders DID bring the youth vote and STILL got beat...that's the part that should actually be troubling for his campaign.

3 minutes ago, Starlord said:

I was with the article up till the end when they pulled the 'media-elite' conspiracy theory crap.  It's the same logical fallacy that the writer(s) are accusing others of.  Not a conspiracy theory guy, never will be as they all fall apart when faced with a reasonable sense of scrutiny.  It makes much more sense that many media people just aren't good at their job and/or spout talking points that somebody else screwed up.  I heard more than one person on the major networks say that Sanders DID bring the youth vote and STILL got beat...that's the part that should actually be troubling for his campaign.

Fair concerns. My own thought was that I had been too harsh on the Youth period. Which doesn't mean the youth are enough, clearly.

7 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

Biden vs. Sanders: Comparing the candidates on how their policies would affect Canada

This "outsider" perspective from CBC news may also help clarify where each candidate stands on specific issues with both international and domestic ramifications.

Okay, thanks for that article. It is, as you point out, not a perspective many Americans get  a chance to look at.

I'm always mixed on the youth vote.  Obviously, their opinions matters, because future wise they have the most to gain/lose.  

But, often times, in my experience, they have absolutely no clue what is going on.   Sometimes worries me, my future is dependent on them.

Edit: Not that others aren't clueless, but the youth are always going to be at a much higher rate.  Especially the 18-25 (I think a couple of years in the working world does force some to learn what is going on)

I'm also mixed on the youth vote. As you say, they lack experience. OTOH they often possess an enthusiasm, even passion, which we tend to lose as we get older. When that's channeled in a positive direction it can be a great motivator for constructive change.

I think of Greta Thunberg as an outstanding example. Whether or not you agree with her position, she's energized and focused the debate over climate change among young people as nothing else has. And that's forced the old fogeys to take notice.

You vote for the things that are important to you at that time, these things change over time.   How informed you are is fairly relative,   Voting decisions from all different ages bother me.  Being older may mean your wiser, but also means you're more set in your ways, generally more conservative and often just as close-minded.

Biden is a lock for four of the primaries today.  Sanders' best shot is Washington and maaaaybe Idaho.

What's irritating to me is that almost no swing states have been involved in these primaries.   Texas went on Super Tuesday.  Arizona, Ohio, and Florida are still a week away.