Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

3 minutes ago, Iuz the Evil said:

At a local level, the emotional response is absolutely off the hook. I have zero (0) local cases, community transmission or otherwise. Schools just closed to April 14. Events closed through April, which will be absolutely devastating to the tourist based economy. Nonprofits closing to March 29. 

Okay, fine. Shut it all down. Whatever makes people happy. 

Yeah,  I don't have to go back to work till Tuesday, watching the last 2 days, has pretty much made disgusted with humanity.  I definitely need the break from them.  

I keep hearing the theme from Platoon, when I go out.  :whistle:

7 hours ago, TrickstaPriest said:

Yeah.  I'm sorry you have to deal with that.  I have seen the mental gymnastics, most of it involves blaming the media.  That's not an argument I hold for 1 second, and the sheer impact on the Dow Jones is the best numerical indicator I can point to that "sorry, the President doesn't know what he's doing."  If he knew what he was doing, that simply wouldn't have happened that badly.

The media isn't great.  It never is.  But the 'waiting until the last second to do anything' seems to be our calling card.

Yeah, I have to admit I am disgusted with the media attempts at creating hysteria on this.  But, that has nothing to do with Trump's mismanagement.  I've got more than enough disgust to go around on this issue. :(

11 hours ago, Iuz the Evil said:

At a local level, the emotional response is absolutely off the hook. I have zero (0) local cases, community transmission or otherwise. Schools just closed to April 14. Events closed through April, which will be absolutely devastating to the tourist based economy. Nonprofits closing to March 29. 

Okay, fine. Shut it all down. Whatever makes people happy. 

IIRC, you live in Sacramento.  I live a short way away in Modesto and work in a hospital lab.  At our hospital we have about a dozen rule out coronavirus cases.  Of the cases that we have sent out for testing, none have come back positive.  But here is the stinger, only three have come back so far.  We have been forced to send them to the health department for testing, and the health department has been incredibly slow getting back results.

I suspect that Sacramento is in the same boat we are, full of hospitals with lots of possible coronavirus cases and waiting on slow to come test results.  IOW, don't be surprised if the number goes from zero to a lot very quickly once testing ramps up.

15 minutes ago, Ranxerox said:

IIRC, you live in Sacramento.  I live a short way away in Modesto and work in a hospital lab.  At our hospital we have about a dozen rule out coronavirus cases.  Of the cases that we have sent out for testing, none have come back positive.  But here is the stinger, only three have come back so far.  We have been forced to send them to the health department for testing, and the health department has been incredibly slow getting back results.

I suspect that Sacramento is in the same boat we are, full of hospitals with lots of possible coronavirus cases and waiting on slow to come test results.  IOW, don't be surprised if the number goes from zero to a lot very quickly once testing ramps up.

Heh, I live in Napa actually. The local Department of Public Health is one of the Divisions I'm over in our Agency. We had no resident cases last I looked (8pm Friday), through local government testing or private sector including local hospitals and folks with local zip codes tested in adjoining Counties, that have been tested positive. Could change for sure, but current rate is zero. 

2 hours ago, death tribble said:

So Trump bans people from Europe (26 Countries) coming to the States. Did he forget that Ireland and Britain are actually part of Europe ? Possibly. Or is it that he has a golf course in Scotland ?

I am sure it has nothing to do with how displeased Trump and others in his administration are with the EU's proposed tax changes to address the digital economy.

The Canadian PM is under self-isolation because his wife was diagnosed with COVID-19 shortly after her return from a trip to the UK.

I saw only unprepared reading. He seems like a deer caught in the headlight every time he reads one of those prepared statements, as if he can't take five minutes to read it over a few times before addressing the nation. I think the delivery as much as the content of his speeches is contributing to the market crashes and public unease. Every time he speaks, we have a run on the stores here.