Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

On 3/17/2020 at 5:49 AM, Lord Liaden said:

Reads like Romney's just suggesting a single $1,000 supplement. No one's going to refuse extra money, but for most people it's a drop in the bucket if the disruptions drag out several weeks or more.

It sounds a bit like the stimulus Australia used successfully in 2008. Basically, rather than hand out cash for corporate executives to waste on hookers and blow, the payments went to ordinary people through the tax system.

They then spent the money, supporting small businesses, who spent the money, supporting bigger businesses, and so on, until it got to the hookers and drug dealers, keeping everybody happy.

This was one of the reasons why Australia cruised through 2008/2009 with only limited problems. The other, more important one, was Chinese demand for our exports.

By itself $1000 won't do much, but multiply it by millions, and there's a lot of extra cash floating around the grassroots bits of the economy.

Bernie Sanders is going to be more than 300 delegates behind Biden after tonight, with roughly half the total delegates selected.  It's nearly impossible for Sanders to catch up, and we all remember how messy, fractured and contentious the extended primary was, and how that poisonous atmosphere continued into the Democratic convention.  Only 75% of the Sanders primary voters supported Clinton in the general election, and half of those who didn't voted for Trump.  I don't want a repeat of ANY of that.  Bernie needs to quit, and soon.  

Image result for i have spoken meme

13 hours ago, Pariah said:

Rand Paul: America's answer to a question nobody asked.

Senate coronavirus vote delayed after Rand Paul pushes doomed amendment

Over the years he's done one or two things I've liked, but I feel he always loves the attention and thinks he's the guy who knows something everyone else doesn't .  He's that guy you know who think he's the 'cool maverick', when actually he's just a Rebel Without a Clue.

54 minutes ago, Starlord said:

Over the years he's done one or two rhings I've liked, but I feel he always loves the attention and thinks he's the guy who knows something everyone else doesn't .  He's that guy you know who think he's the 'cool maverick', when actually he's just a Rebel Without a Clue.

he's the guy who got beaten by his neighbor over a bush.

CES

3 minutes ago, assault said:

So basically that guy who is too "opinionated" to get along with anyone else? A true Randite hero.

But how the heck did he scam becoming a Senator?

I think the state he represents is Kentucky. I assume he got help from his dad, and the Republican machine in that state. The only thing that stands out in his record is a consistent vote against any social help programs like the ACA, Disability cost of living raises, SNAP expansion. Essentially he is famous for voting against any effort to help anyone.

CES   

31 minutes ago, csyphrett said:

I think the state he represents is Kentucky. I assume he got help from his dad, and the Republican machine in that state. The only thing that stands out in his record is a consistent vote against any social help programs like the ACA, Disability cost of living raises, SNAP expansion. Essentially he is famous for voting against any effort to help anyone.

CES   

How old is he? Can he run for President yet?

Yes, I am aware of who his father is. Please assume a certain degree of sarcasm.

I stated it before, but I just can't get over this surge for "status quo" Biden. Bernie at least was a vote for change. At this point in my life, I'm totally sick of business as usual...and it looks like another fours years of that. I definitely have a better appreciation for how the French and Russians felt prior to their revolutions. Basically, all anyone cares about is getting rid of Trump...which means the power elite's plan has succeeded. We'll let all the BS from the last 4 decades slide just because Trump's clown show has been such a great distraction. I can't be the only one sick of the oligarchy, but it sure feels like it...

Americans voted for change, in 2016. Perhaps that scared many of them, and now they want to go back to the familiar.

I don't believe Biden is the man to lead America into the challenges we all face in this century. But I'm starting to think he might be the best available choice for right now. The next POTUS will be spending a lot of time and energy repairing the damage Trump has done domestically and internationally. Biden is familiar, respected, and not a blithering idiot. Given his age, I would be very surprised if he chose to run for a second term. Perhaps America needs someone like him to lay the groundwork for a more progressive candidate in 2024.

To me, it's not an ideal situation, and I believe the Sanders agenda is closer to what America needs long term. But I have hope that Biden can be more than "anyone but Trump."

14 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

Americans voted for change, in 2016. Perhaps that scared many of them, and now they want to go back to the familiar.

I don't believe Biden is the man to lead America into the challenges we all face in this century. But I'm starting to think he might be the best available choice for right now. The next POTUS will be spending a lot of time and energy repairing the damage Trump has done domestically and internationally. Biden is familiar, respected, and not a blithering idiot. Given his age, I would be very surprised if he chose to run for a second term. Perhaps America needs someone like him to lay the groundwork for a more progressive candidate in 2024.

To me, it's not an ideal situation, and I believe the Sanders agenda is closer to what America needs long term. But I have hope that Biden can be more than "anyone but Trump."

I don't agree with all of AOC's ideas, but she's had Bernie's back and is young and with many progressives, popular.

3 hours ago, Hermit said:

I am a big Bernie supporter and even I think he should probably drop out at this stage, though I also understand why he'd want to get a few promises uttered out of Biden and crew before he does.

That said, Did Bernie cost Hillary the Presidency?

Hillary cost Hillary the Presidency.  Time she get to the stage of acceptance.

10 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

Got to be brutally honest, got zero hope in Biden.  

5 minutes ago, Starlord said:

4 Senators sell stocks after January Coronavirus briefings

The following should resign immediately:

Richard Burr, Republican, North Carolina

Kelly Loeffler, Republican, Georgia

James Inhofe, Republican, Oklahoma

Dianne Feinstein, Democrat, California

The 1% didn't get there by being altruistic. They got there with opportunism and a lack of empathy. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for them to resign.