Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

5 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

To me it's clear that the belief that an extra $600.00/week for four months is going to cause large numbers of people to quite their jobs, is coming from men who have never had to struggle to find and hold a job.

Clearly they have been gainfully employed their entire lives, and that is why they do not know how the unemployment insurance programme works. 

I admit, I'm amused at the prospect of a Republican President ushering in UBI. Sort of an only-Nixon-could-go-to-China thing.

I did read a bit in the National Review explaining the conservative view, that they do want the UBI checks, but only for the emergency. He compared it to the fire department, where you accept firemen charging into your house when it is on fire, but you wouldn't let them just quarter firemen in your house on a normal day.

If they don't want it to stick around, they should name it "the Purple Wage". Honors old-timey science fiction, while associating the UBI with a really squicky book. (Seriously, what was up with scifi back then and weird sex stuff?)

On 3/24/2020 at 4:26 PM, megaplayboy said:

Our lives are in the hands of fools and idiots.   Thank God (some of) the governors have some semblance of prudence and sanity.  

Count Mississippi governor Tate Reeves among the fools and idiots. Heard yesterday on All Things Considered: He addressed a suggestion that Mississippi needed to stay-home restrictions like China used to stop the spread of the coronavirus by proudly proclaiming, "Mississippi will never be China!"

Wow. Way to miss the point, Guv. Grade: Fail.

Dean Shomshak

On 3/24/2020 at 4:26 PM, megaplayboy said:

Our lives are in the hands of fools and idiots.   Thank God (some of) the governors have some semblance of prudence and sanity.  

Count Mississippi governor Tate Reeves among the fools and idiots. Heard yesterday on All Things Considered: He addressed a suggestion that Mississippi needed to stay-home restrictions like China used to stop the spread of the coronavirus by proudly proclaiming, "Mississippi will never be China!"

Dean Shomshak

OTOH Marketplace interviewed a hairdresser in Boise, Idaho who voluntarily closed her shop before any order came. She doesn't know how she'll make her mortgage payments or how her employees will get by, but she decided that staying open would endanger the lives of her customers and staff.

Grade: Pass, with honors.

Dean Shomshak

2 hours ago, Sociotard said:

If they don't want it to stick around, they should name it "the Purple Wage". Honors old-timey science fiction, while associating the UBI with a really squicky book. (Seriously, what was up with scifi back then and weird sex stuff?)

Back then it was possible for sex stuff to be weird.  Today we have Rule 34.

3 hours ago, DShomshak said:

Dean Shomshak

..and yet, I'm guessing Mississippi gets half it's goods/supplies from China.

8 minutes ago, Ragitsu said:

"real people"

May the (sane) governors tell the POS POTUS to stick it where the sun don't shine.

I still run into people on my friends' FB walls (meaning their friends and family) arguing that "the libs / welfare queens / etc" are all "stay at home lazy people" and should want to get back to work. 

I'm sure a lot of people want a paycheck, shockingly enough...

I wouldn't be so concerned about this, but I want people to be completely aware of what this administration is arguing for, right as we hit the pandemic eruption.  I took that screenshot myself.

I think some models suggest a gigantic US infection rate as of two weeks ago (given it takes a week so show symptoms, a week to get test results) based on the amount of critical+ people admitted to the hospitals - almost all of our testing is hospital testing, so for every 1 positive test we have, we likely have 5-10 who never went to the hospital for symptoms.

Of course, I'd love to know where we are in the range of "5 to 10"...

Regardless, it's about to get real ugly.  We only went to shelter in place what, three days ago?  Some other places haven't even done that.  The incubation period means there's a two week lag before we start to see any effect from the extreme social distancing.  So the case trajectory will continue to increase exponentially for two weeks.  I'm pretty sure it's too late for NYC and Detroit, where I'm starting to read about hospitals running out of space already.

All I know from my experience last year on unemployment.   Having to get 2 contacts every week, only getting 6 months, caused a lot of anxiety in itself.  Not that 2 contacts is hard on average.  But, every single week basis was stressful.  (especially being the introvert, having to psych enough courage up to approach strangers*)

*I'm sure, in a couple of stores, I went to, walking around "shopping" they probably thought I was robbing the place, when it was about nerves.