Jump to content
Simon

Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Cygnia said:

The Unemployment Insurance top-up is  a fixed $600. But what if that leads to the payment exceeding what they were earning in the first place? The poors will all quit and go on unemployment enjoyment! There seems to be some misunderstanding of the way that unemployment insurance works at play here, so I'm sure that it will all be sorted out soon enough. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Lawnmower Boy said:

The Unemployment Insurance top-up is  a fixed $600. But what if that leads to the payment exceeding what they were earning in the first place? The poors will all quit and go on unemployment enjoyment! There seems to be some misunderstanding of the way that unemployment insurance works at play here, so I'm sure that it will all be sorted out soon enough. 

 

To me it's clear that the belief that an extra $600.00/week for four months is going to cause large numbers of people to quite their jobs, is coming from men who have never had to struggle to find and hold a job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

 

To me it's clear that the belief that an extra $600.00/week for four months is going to cause large numbers of people to quite their jobs, is coming from men who have never had to struggle to find and hold a job.

Clearly they have been gainfully employed their entire lives, and that is why they do not know how the unemployment insurance programme works. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, if I personally didn't need to buy stuff to survive, I probably wouldn't be working.

 

But, then, I'd be most happy, only leaving the house 1 per 1-2 weeks. so, I am an outlier.  :whistle:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

During a time of diminished supplies (mostly attributed to panic buying rather than an actual nationwide shortage) and scattershot resupplying, politicians find an ample reserve of pork. They are resourceful creatures, aren't they?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I admit, I'm amused at the prospect of a Republican President ushering in UBI. Sort of an only-Nixon-could-go-to-China thing.

 

I did read a bit in the National Review explaining the conservative view, that they do want the UBI checks, but only for the emergency. He compared it to the fire department, where you accept firemen charging into your house when it is on fire, but you wouldn't let them just quarter firemen in your house on a normal day.

 

If they don't want it to stick around, they should name it "the Purple Wage". Honors old-timey science fiction, while associating the UBI with a really squicky book. (Seriously, what was up with scifi back then and weird sex stuff?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/24/2020 at 4:26 PM, megaplayboy said:

Our lives are in the hands of fools and idiots.   Thank God (some of) the governors have some semblance of prudence and sanity.  

 

Count Mississippi governor Tate Reeves among the fools and idiots. Heard yesterday on All Things Considered: He addressed a suggestion that Mississippi needed to stay-home restrictions like China used to stop the spread of the coronavirus by proudly proclaiming, "Mississippi will never be China!"

 

Wow. Way to miss the point, Guv. Grade: Fail.

 

Dean Shomshak

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/24/2020 at 4:26 PM, megaplayboy said:

Our lives are in the hands of fools and idiots.   Thank God (some of) the governors have some semblance of prudence and sanity.  

 

Count Mississippi governor Tate Reeves among the fools and idiots. Heard yesterday on All Things Considered: He addressed a suggestion that Mississippi needed to stay-home restrictions like China used to stop the spread of the coronavirus by proudly proclaiming, "Mississippi will never be China!"

 

Wow. Way to miss the point, Guv. Grade: Fail.

 

Dean Shomshak

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OTOH Marketplace interviewed a hairdresser in Boise, Idaho who voluntarily closed her shop before any order came. She doesn't know how she'll make her mortgage payments or how her employees will get by, but she decided that staying open would endanger the lives of her customers and staff.

 

Grade: Pass, with honors.

 

Dean Shomshak

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sociotard said:

 

If they don't want it to stick around, they should name it "the Purple Wage". Honors old-timey science fiction, while associating the UBI with a really squicky book. (Seriously, what was up with scifi back then and weird sex stuff?)

 

Back then it was possible for sex stuff to be weird.  Today we have Rule 34.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DShomshak said:

 

Count Mississippi governor Tate Reeves among the fools and idiots. Heard yesterday on All Things Considered: He addressed a suggestion that Mississippi needed to stay-home restrictions like China used to stop the spread of the coronavirus by proudly proclaiming, "Mississippi will never be China!"

 

Wow. Way to miss the point, Guv. Grade: Fail.

 

Dean Shomshak

 

..and yet, I'm guessing Mississippi gets half it's goods/supplies from China.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It has been said that you can judge a society by how it treats its children and criminals. I suppose "elderly" can now be added to that (already minuscule) list.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

8 minutes ago, Ragitsu said:

"real people"

 

May the (sane) governors tell the POS POTUS to stick it where the sun don't shine.

 

 

I still run into people on my friends' FB walls (meaning their friends and family) arguing that "the libs / welfare queens / etc" are all "stay at home lazy people" and should want to get back to work. 

 

I'm sure a lot of people want a paycheck, shockingly enough...

 

I wouldn't be so concerned about this, but I want people to be completely aware of what this administration is arguing for, right as we hit the pandemic eruption.  I took that screenshot myself.

 

I think some models suggest a gigantic US infection rate as of two weeks ago (given it takes a week so show symptoms, a week to get test results) based on the amount of critical+ people admitted to the hospitals - almost all of our testing is hospital testing, so for every 1 positive test we have, we likely have 5-10 who never went to the hospital for symptoms.

 

Of course, I'd love to know where we are in the range of "5 to 10"...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regardless, it's about to get real ugly.  We only went to shelter in place what, three days ago?  Some other places haven't even done that.  The incubation period means there's a two week lag before we start to see any effect from the extreme social distancing.  So the case trajectory will continue to increase exponentially for two weeks.  I'm pretty sure it's too late for NYC and Detroit, where I'm starting to read about hospitals running out of space already.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...