Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

The thing is, Trumps response to the Coronavirus has been defined by underreaction, rather than overreaction. He's letting governors take most of the lead on this. I am willing to bet $20 to the charity of your choice that Trump will not suspend Habeas Corpus, suspend the Posse Comitatus act (yes, he can in response to a pandemic, per HR 5122), deploy the Marines (they aren't prohibited by Posse Comitatus), or do anything else he can legally do resembling martial law.

Trump may be concerned that his anti-big government, pro-Second Amendment base of support would see such moves as exactly the impositions they've always feared the federal government would make if it could. I'm sure he's more than happy to let the state leaders take any heat from that.

3 hours ago, Old Man said:

Why not the IMPOTUS himself?  2400mg to start ought to do it.

Careful. I don't like the President. Bad things happen when we fantasize about political figures dying. Maybe just visits from the secret service, maybe inspire an actual homicide. 

Careful. 

2 minutes ago, Sociotard said:

Careful. I don't like the President. Bad things happen when we fantasize about political figures dying. Maybe just visits from the secret service, maybe inspire an actual homicide. 

Careful. 

I've reminded some people (no one I know, just people at security conferences) that, as much as you wanted to wax nostalgic of 'why doesn't anyone do anything about this', how do you think a person in question would behave if someone attempted something like that (and statistically, failed)?  That's liable to have a much worse outcome for everyone.  Even if someone succeeded, the blowback would not be great.

Our current president is frustrating as hell.  But that's one outcome I do not wax on for.