Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

5 hours ago, Ragitsu said:

Speaking of which, Andrew Yang promoted universal basic income. It seems as though that program (or something akin to it) will also enjoy greater popularity.

Yup. I had my doubts about how it would work if folks might just jack up the prices, but was intrigued. Now, after this? I'm sold.

6 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

The loss of traditional blue-collar jobs in the United States, and elsewhere in the world, has much more to do with automation than foreign countries and immigrants. But Trump always understood that it's much easier to focus people's anger and fear on other people than on machines.

Well, that and machines equals Rich People, and imigration equals Poor People....

Just now, Lord Liaden said:

Hang in there, America. You may still join the rest of us in another election. Maybe two. :(

I think many of us feel that the damage done to our Court systems, Political bodies, and country period is going to take decades to fix now. I hope it's just one or two elections as you suggest might be, but it's hard to be optimistic. 

5 hours ago, Hermit said:

I think many of us feel that the damage done to our Court systems, Political bodies, and country period is going to take decades to fix now. I hope it's just one or two elections as you suggest might be, but it's hard to be optimistic. 

Trump putting ultra-conservatives in a higher court would be devastating.

3 minutes ago, Ragitsu said:

Trump putting ultra-conservatives in a higher court would be devastating.

I'm kind of mixed, given my political bent.  In some ways yes, in other ways, I feel that level on the liberal side would be devastating too.

I'm not getting a win, regardless.

6 minutes ago, Badger said:

I'm kind of mixed, given my political bent.  In some ways yes, in other ways, I feel that level on the liberal side would be devastating too.

I'm not getting a win, regardless.

If they're on the level of repealing Roe v. Wade, it's bad.

27 minutes ago, Ragitsu said:

If they're on the level of repealing Roe v. Wade, it's bad.

Yeah, not saying it isn't, just saying for me there are several issues on both sides that other side would like to screw over.  Eventually, I am going to get very disappointed no matter what happens.  (assuming a moderate can get in, which both sides agree they don't want)

6 minutes ago, Badger said:

(assuming a moderate can get in, which both sides agree they don't want)

Problem is, in the United States (of America 😇), the Overton Window has shifted far to the right; what is deemed "insanely far left" here by some is actually reasonable day-to-day policy in other countries. Universal healthcare is a prime example of what I have in mind: "communism", apparently.

1 hour ago, Ragitsu said:

Comporting one's self with "proper decorum" while shredding hard-fought civil liberties is perfectly possible.

I agree; but decorum isn't character. Some of history's greatest villains had social grace and charm to burn. But it's just a mask they wore to cover what they really were.

That's why Congressional vetting for Supreme Court justices is such an important step. It's supposed to place candidates under close scrutiny, to test if they have the moral fiber to make respect for the law and its intent the primary factor in their deliberations. Overt politicization has made that process deeply suspect.

8 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

Hang in there, America. You may still join the rest of us in another election. Maybe two. :(

Nothing will change in my lifetime without violence now.  The Power Elite are too entrenched to remove by any other means now. This much is clear. I'd love to be proven wrong....I really would....but I'm not counting on it.