Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

I just want to smack people sometimes.

'Lock her up!': Anti-Whitmer coronavirus lockdown protestors swarm Michigan Capitol

Between 300 and 4000 people attended the event, and a lot of them didn't bother to stay in their cars (as event organizers asked them to do) or wear masks or stay away from each other. Many had "Don't Tread On Me" flags and Trump flags. A couple had Confederate flags. A couple had rifles.

Governor Whitman's comments about the rally included the following:

"I respect your opinions," Whitmer said, adding, "I just urge you, don't put yourself at risk and don't put others at risk either."

She said she was "really disappointed" to see people congregating outside and not wearing masks. She also pointed to the Confederate flags that were waved at the rally and mentioned that one individual was even passing candy out to children. Additionally, she said untold numbers of people may have touched gas pumps to get to Lansing, potentially spreading infection.

"We know this rally endangered people," she said, adding that such activity "will put more people at risks and could prolong how long we need to be in this posture."

Morons

Freedom intrinsically requires limitations imposed by itself on itself; unchecked freedom degenerates into unfettered chaos. Eventually, that same unregulated "freedom" is going to be violated by someone with a bigger stick than you that decides they have the freedom to cave your skull in and take your Walkman.

59 minutes ago, Ragitsu said:

Freedom intrinsically requires limitations imposed by itself on itself; unchecked freedom degenerates into unfettered chaos. Eventually, that same unregulated "freedom" is going to be violated by someone with a bigger stick than you that decides they have the freedom to cave your skull in and take your Walkman.

"My Right to Swing my fist ends where your nose begins" to quote a US govt. Teacher who I am sure was quoting someone else, but it always stuck with me how she was careful to  phrase it  ie we've got to think of the other person in the use of our freedoms and how it might step on theirs.

16 minutes ago, Hermit said:

"My Right to Swing my fist ends where your nose begins" to quote a US govt. Teacher who I am sure was quoting someone else, but it always stuck with me how she was careful to  phrase it 

Oh yeah, I've also heard that expression. Anyhow...it is incumbent upon those that cherish freedom to stand up to the tyranny of the ego before facing all other dictators.

He's everybody's since, the Dems have used these last 6 months to botch everything as badly as one party can.  As literally given the state of Biden, the only way I could feel remotely comfortable with him in a crisis, is if he delegated all responsibilities to individual dept heads, and Cabinet staff.  And absolutely no chance, that wouldn't to its own corruption they may meet or exceed what we are seeing now (bitter sarcasm).  

Not much to do, but come back here in 2024, and count the survivors.

NOte: on Biden:  The only way we have a chance, would be if the Dems pulled an end around at the convention, and pull in someone else kickng and screaming over Biden.  And, we have to stop and weigh the ends justifying the means over such a move.  (maybe it is worth it, but it needs to be discussed, if happens)

10 hours ago, Badger said:

It will start to get harder to insist on people to stay in.  I do figure by mid-May at latest, people are liable to get stir crazy enough, to do something.  Hopefully, things will lighten up before people get to that level.

We already have scumbags willing to try to blow up hospitals and derail trains.

20 hours ago, Ragitsu said:

In such condition there is no place for industry, because the fruit thereof is uncertain, and consequently no culture of the earth, no navigation nor the use of commodities that may be imported by sea, no commodious building, no instruments of moving and removing such things as require much force, no knowledge of the face of the earth, no account of time, no arts, no letters, no society, and which is worst of all, continual fear and danger of violent death, and the life of man, solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short.

Hobbes; Leviathan

15 minutes ago, Tom said:

In such condition there is no place for industry, because the fruit thereof is uncertain, and consequently no culture of the earth, no navigation nor the use of commodities that may be imported by sea, no commodious building, no instruments of moving and removing such things as require much force, no knowledge of the face of the earth, no account of time, no arts, no letters, no society, and which is worst of all, continual fear and danger of violent death, and the life of man, solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short.

Hobbes; Leviathan

Never would I have imagined agreeing with Hobbes.

18 hours ago, Badger said:

He's everybody's since, the Dems have used these last 6 months to botch everything as badly as one party can.  As literally given the state of Biden, the only way I could feel remotely comfortable with him in a crisis, is if he delegated all responsibilities to individual dept heads, and Cabinet staff.  And absolutely no chance, that wouldn't to its own corruption they may meet or exceed what we are seeing now (bitter sarcasm).  

Not much to do, but come back here in 2024, and count the survivors.

I get to choose between a candidate who 'isn't all there' or a candidate who's threatening to end adjourn (temporarily?) the Houses of Congress if they don't appoint who he wants.

edit: for proper details

Even if Joe Biden really "isn't all there" (possible but not certain), I'm confident he will appoint competent, knowledgeable, capable people to assist and advise him, and that he'll listen to their advice. Donald Trump definitely isn't all there, but he listens only to echoes of the voices in his head.

I'm more inclined to believe Biden will end up appointing the corrupt.  Or, at least, those who cant resist the power grab, with the fact they will pretty much have unlimited control of their depts., with Biden unlikely to do much of anything on his own.  

Politicians? OF course, they will be corrupt and power-hungry my bad