Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

On 5/12/2020 at 4:33 PM, Badger said:

Yeah, I'm not much on funerals.  I figure funerals are more for the living, and I am not one of those that gets a particular comfort out of funerals.  I guess, I think of it more as a family duty, that they were there for me, so I can be there for them one more time.  Somwething like that.

Well, you know what they say: If you don't go to other people's funerals, they won't go to yours.

3 hours ago, wcw43921 said:

"The Obama-Biden plan that has been referenced was insufficient, wasn't going to work," said White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany.

"Beyond that, we did a whole exercise on pandemic preparedness," she added. "In August of last year, we had an entire after-action report put together. In other words, the Obama-Biden paper pocket was superseded by President Trump-style pandemic preparedness."

As in, "One day, like a miracle, it'll be gone." :rolleyes:

I'd forgotten there even is a current White House press secretary. Perhaps she can only stomach uttering such drivel a few times a year.

Are you [REDACTED] kidding me?!

Michigan closes down Capitol in face of death threats from armed protesters against Governor Whitmer

Seriously, what the actual [REDACTED]?! Since when is it okay to make death threats against government leaders you don't like? That's not okay. Not ever.

At this point, I wouldn't blame Gov. Whitmer if she called in the National Guard.

This is the action of a small fringe of the Michigan populace -- polls show the majority support Whitmer's lockdown measures. But the current political climate is tolerating this kind of activity, and Donald Trump is actually fueling it with his "Liberate Michigan" tweets. Four years ago every level and branch of government would have condemned such expressed sentiments in the harshest terms, and the people running the websites encouraging such violence would have had their asses dragged into court for inciting hatred and armed insurrection.

21 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

This is the action of a small fringe of the Michigan populace -- polls show the majority support Whitmer's lockdown measures. But the current political climate is tolerating this kind of activity, and Donald Trump is actually fueling it with his "Liberate Michigan" tweets. Four years ago every level and branch of government would have condemned such expressed sentiments in the harshest terms, and the people running the websites encouraging such violence would have had their asses dragged into court for inciting hatred and armed insurrection.

A crackdown on the various flavors of armed nutjobs out there--white supremacists, sovereign citizens, various militias--is long overdue.  Put a federal/state/local task force on it and shut them all down.  Run them to ground.  It's gone beyond tiresome and ventured into the real of the frightening and threatening.

15 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

I'd forgotten there even is a current White House press secretary. Perhaps she can only stomach uttering such drivel a few times a year.

She's entirely too good at what she does to be safely ignored, IMO. She's the best propagandist press secretary the administration has had.

Watch this carefully:

12 hours ago, megaplayboy said:

A crackdown on the various flavors of armed nutjobs out there--white supremacists, sovereign citizens, various militias--is long overdue.  Put a federal/state/local task force on it and shut them all down.  Run them to ground.  It's gone beyond tiresome and ventured into the real of the frightening and threatening.

Long overdue but unlikely to happen, even discounting that Trump finds them useful. Back in the Obama administration -- I think it was during the Bundy Ranch standoff -- I heard that the FBI has a policy of never going after these far-right extremists for fear of provoking a worse, more violent backlash. They call it "Weaver fever": Many believe the Ruby Ridge standoff against Randy Weaver, followed by the Branch Davidian standoff, led to the Oklahoma City bombing.

Now, I think coddling the fringe in this way only encourages them: It looks weak: Their anger feeds on itself, while perceived weakness increases contempt and confidence that they can get away with violent acts. So we might as well have it out and deal with any resulting insurrection, because -- as the Anti-Defamation League essay A Dark and Constant Rage points out -- this political poison has been around for decades. It isn't going away on its own.

Dean Shomshak

5 hours ago, DShomshak said:

Long overdue but unlikely to happen, even discounting that Trump finds them useful. Back in the Obama administration -- I think it was during the Bundy Ranch standoff -- I heard that the FBI has a policy of never going after these far-right extremists for fear of provoking a worse, more violent backlash. They call it "Weaver fever": Many believe the Ruby Ridge standoff against Randy Weaver, followed by the Branch Davidian standoff, led to the Oklahoma City bombing.

Now, I think coddling the fringe in this way only encourages them: It looks weak: Their anger feeds on itself, while perceived weakness increases contempt and confidence that they can get away with violent acts. So we might as well have it out and deal with any resulting insurrection, because -- as the Anti-Defamation League essay A Dark and Constant Rage points out -- this political poison has been around for decades. It isn't going away on its own.

Dean Shomshak

Yeah, I think that was a huge mistake.  If they fight back hard, come back at them 3x harder.  If posting to Daily Stormer and "protesting" while carrying an AR gets you put on an FBI watchlist, maybe fewer people will be inclined to do that sort of thing.  

7 hours ago, megaplayboy said:

Yeah, I think that was a huge mistake.  If they fight back hard, come back at them 3x harder.  If posting to Daily Stormer and "protesting" while carrying an AR gets you put on an FBI watchlist, maybe fewer people will be inclined to do that sort of thing.  

As long as they can be confirmed to acting maliciously (and in this case I certainly think they can be).

I understand some people's trepidation in having the federal government bust organizations like that... but frankly they have been giving a number of local terrorist organizations a 'free pass'.  It is interesting to hear what the (possible) rationale is for doing so, at least.  As you say... it hasn't worked out.

44 minutes ago, TrickstaPriest said:

I understand some people's trepidation in having the federal government bust organizations like that... but frankly they have been giving a number of local terrorist organizations a 'free pass'.  It is interesting to hear what the (possible) rationale is for doing so, at least. 

Melanin. 

On 5/15/2020 at 9:05 PM, Lord Liaden said:

four years ago was an entire mirror mirror type inversion ago.

My sentiments exactly.

Besides, accumulated wealth isn't in and of itself Evil.  To my mind, it's a sort of ability.  And as a wiser man than myself---Albus Dumbledore--once said, “It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are far more than our abilities.”

Trump, to my mind and the minds of others, has chosen poorly.  Thing is, it's always others who suffer, and will continue to suffer for his choices.