Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

4 hours ago, Old Man said:

Assassin disguised as FedEx driver guns down family of federal judge assigned to Epstein case

Guess they couldn't be bothered to make it look like a suicide this time?

I would investigate her cases involving the Grape Street Crips first. Seems likelier to have led to that attack than Epstein, which was probably coincidental (although a link is not impossible, of course).

9 hours ago, Old Man said:

Assassin disguised as FedEx driver guns down family of federal judge assigned to Epstein case

Different they.  E[stein's (alleged) killing would have been to stop him from giving names.  The case the judge has been assigned is about money.  Different parties, different goals, different methods.

24 minutes ago, csyphrett said:

Possible suspect has been found. THey don't know if he did it or not, but he had a case in front of the judge and hated women according to his internet footprint. If the bullet in his head matches anything at the Judge's house, we might have a winner

CES

OH, found dead was he? And with the murder weapon? Case closed! Did the detectives suddenly all buy motor boats?

If a Star Trek style future is in the cards for us, then we'll still have to survive World War III/The Eugenics Wars. I can imagine an "Eugenics Wars" analogue occurring once genetic engineering really takes off (perhaps development will be spurred on thanks to the fears of a second pandemic?). Of course, this suffering will be for naught if there aren't sufficiently advanced benevolent sentient/sapient lifeforms able (and willing!) to pay Earth a visit.

32 minutes ago, pinecone said:

"Looks like" no question. Lol They found him so fast! Almost like they knew where to look.

Pattern Ghost would know better than me since he's a policeman, and I am just a delivery driver/hobby writer, but in every case I have looked at over the years, eighty percent of crimes like this is people who have a connection to you. I think it used to be ninety percent but gun violence where strangers start shooting at each other over who gets the last candy bar has skewed the numbers. 

So the first thing they are going to look at is anybody who knows the judge. That is going to limit the search to everyone inside of her city/state at the time of the attack. Then all the females, children, minorities except gay men and trans men, cripples who can't walk are out. Out of that list that remains, they are going to look at family members and people who are in her court.

The dead suspect is a white man who hates women who was arguing in her court. Apparently they found the body when they were working their way down the list of suspects. 

Now whether he was part of a movement, or a lone gunman like the guy who shot up the Republican baseball team, is up to the police to find out.

If they hadn't found any white males to fit the bill, they would start thinking this was a stranger crime, and start thinking he would do it to another judge

CES    

1 hour ago, Ragitsu said:

If a Star Trek style future is in the cards for us, then we'll still have to survive World War III/The Eugenics Wars. I can imagine an "Eugenics Wars" analogue occurring once genetic engineering really takes off (perhaps development will be spurred on thanks to the fears of a second pandemic?). Of course, this suffering will be for naught if there aren't sufficiently advanced benevolent sentient/sapient lifeforms able (and willing!) to pay Earth a visit.

I’d feel better about that if I were certain it would all lead to the formation of a Federation and a Starfleet. Right now that seems way less likely than Planet of the Apes, though. 

On 7/18/2020 at 9:22 PM, Cancer said:

My voters' pamphlet arrived today for the primary election on Aug 4.  There are 29 candidates for governor.  Twenty-nine.

Make sure to spend a few hours researching each one so you know what you're voting for.

Now repeat this for each candidate for each role in the election.

It's not shocking why people resort to party-line voting - awful as that is.

15 hours ago, Old Man said:

It's not like they really tried during the Epstein murder.  That was so clearly murder this situation just seems like more of the same.

3 hours ago, Ragitsu said:

My motto is, "One crisis at a time." I'm going to focus my speculation on dealing with what's in front of us -- that's more than enough for now.

I've said it for many years: Liberty, equality, justice, will never be "won." Their establishment and preservation are a never-ending struggle. The veneer of civilization is thin, and it doesn't take a lot to scrape it off and expose the barbarian underneath.

I remember when 9/11 occurred, I was saddened and disgusted, but not surprised. Same with just about every tragedy and outrage I can remember over my adult life. I guess I never assumed there is a "here" where something could never happen. When you do that, the chance of it happening just goes up.

47 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

I've said it for many years: Liberty, equality, justice, will never be "won." Their establishment and preservation are a never-ending struggle. The veneer of civilization is thin, and it doesn't take a lot to scrape it off and expose the barbarian underneath.

I remember when 9/11 occurred, I was saddened and disgusted, but not surprised. Same with just about every tragedy and outrage I can remember over my adult life. I guess I never assumed there is a "here" where something could never happen. When you do that, the chance of it happening just goes up.

It's not about winning per se. It's about being better than we are right now...and I'm sure we can agree that humanity can be a LOT better than it is.

7 hours ago, Old Man said:

I’d feel better about that if I were certain it would all lead to the formation of a Federation and a Starfleet. Right now that seems way less likely than Planet of the Apes, though. 

I did have a dream where Khan and Dr. Zaius became allies. Seems they'd hate each other with their supremacy complexes, though.