Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

3 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

I just stopped by a YouTube posting by Fox News of a recent rant by Tucker Carlson, to leave a few remarks in the comment section. The prospect of making some veins pop in the foreheads of their deluded readership should make me feel petty. It doesn't. :D

Did you ask when Carlson is going to quit to be with Bill OReilly now that people are saying he is a serial rapist? That would have caused a storm.

CES 

56 minutes ago, archer said:

Deputies accused of being in white supremacist secret societies cost L.A. County taxpayers $55 million in payoffs to victims.

Members are accused of using intimidation, threats, and violence to keep other police officers in line.

https://news.yahoo.com/deputies-accused-being-secret-societies-230851807.html

Hmm. Well, where I am, the Queensland Police (policing in Australia is organized at the State/Territory level) were legally proven to have been protecting organized crime to a level that borders on franchising.

But I can't see even the Joke tolerating this.

8 hours ago, Ragitsu said:

My state passed with a flying color. Also, hey...go Hawaii!

Lol Hawaii has only vote by mail, and voter participation is usually close to last out of all states.  I'd love to know how these Brookings kooks are coming up with their numbers.

So, are Texas and Florida exempt from paying the National Guard?

Is this the California being punished by being denied assistance for the wildfires only in reverse?

I'm asking for people outside the echo chamber here - have you heard of any incidents like this from other Presidents?  Denying/providing federal resources purely for the sake of voting?  Is this a 'normal' thing, or is it literally as abnormal as I thought?

I'm not even going to suggest the denial of the coronavirus was a political machination as a 'blue state' issue until we have corroboration, just those two that come straight from the horse's mouth.

10 hours ago, assault said:

Hmm. Well, where I am, the Queensland Police (policing in Australia is organized at the State/Territory level) were legally proven to have been protecting organized crime to a level that borders on franchising.

It happens. The high point of my father's journalistic career was when he exposed our country sheriff as a mobster and sent him to jail for life.

Who watches the watchmen, and all that.

Also, a year or two back I heard an interview with someone who

d been in the racist skinhead

white Power movement and got out -- Chris Somethingorother, gha, it's been too long -- who said the group's leaders started telling members to stop bearing up random minority people and become cops, lawyers or business people instead. Positions of power where they can commit their crimes under cover of law.

Dean Shomshak

3 hours ago, TrickstaPriest said:

I'm asking for people outside the echo chamber here - have you heard of any incidents like this from other Presidents?  Denying/providing federal resources purely for the sake of voting?  Is this a 'normal' thing, or is it literally as abnormal as I thought?

It's disgustingly political and politically disgusting.

https://thehill.com/policy/technology/510777-facebook-removes-post-from-trumps-page-it-said-featured-false-claims-about

Facebook removed a post from President Trump because it contained “false claims” about the coronavirus. The post included a video of Trump on "Fox & Friends" Wednesday morning saying schools should resume in-person classes because young people are "almost immune" to COVID-19.

“If you look at children, children are almost — I would almost say definitely — but almost immune from this disease. So few — they’ve gotten stronger...Hard to believe. I don’t know how you feel about it, but they have much stronger immune systems than we do, somehow, for this. And they don’t have a problem. They just don’t have a problem...But the fact is, they are virtually immune from this problem and we have to open our schools.”

Maybe Facebook should read the president's posts more often....

Edit:

Twitter is also sanctioning Trump. It's requiring that he remove his post containing the false information before he will be allowed to Tweet again.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/08/05/facebook-removes-trump-post-for-spreading-misinformation-on-coronavirus-392014

7 hours ago, TrickstaPriest said:

So, are Texas and Florida exempt from paying the National Guard?

Is this the California being punished by being denied assistance for the wildfires only in reverse?

I'm not even going to suggest the denial of the coronavirus was a political machination as a 'blue state' issue until we have corroboration, just those two that come straight from the horse's mouth.

Not sure what you are talking about.  Trump threatened to pull federal aid in fighting wild fires back in November, but like so many things with Trump nothing came of it.  Has he done something more recently?

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/08/04/trump-joe-biden-campaign-door-knockers-391454

Trump’s campaign says it knocked on over 1 million doors in the past week alone. Joe Biden’s campaign says it knocked on zero because they don't want to worry voters about getting COVID-19 from answering the doorbell.

That story says Trump campaign workers are using masks while knocking doors.

However, this other story says that at Trump campaign headquarters that you get made fun of for wearing a mask. And that there's pressure to not tell your co-workers if you test positive for COVID-19.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/07/10/trump-campaign-office-social-distancing-356439

This is shaping up to be a very different campaign with one side focusing on digital and electronic contacts and the other doing a more traditional campaigning to contact people in person (which in previous elections has been seen as more effective in moving voter opinions).

On 8/4/2020 at 8:15 PM, Ragitsu said:

Updated-Map_July-31.png?fit=1000%2C750px

My state passed with a flying color. Also, hey...go Hawaii!

49 states passed, so you dont live in AL.

Also how did NY get a C. They were atrocious early on. THEY did improve. But it was F- in April and like C  maybe C+ now, so the average out just doesn't compute.

2 hours ago, Badger said:

49 states passed, so you dont live in AL.

Oh, yes. I forgot that a "D" is now a passing grade.

2 hours ago, Badger said:

Also how did NY get a C. They were atrocious early on. THEY did improve. But it was F- in April and like C  maybe C+ now, so the average out just doesn't compute.

This map displays the ease/difficulty of voting by mail on a state-by-state basis and not how well each state handled COVID-19.

6 hours ago, Ranxerox said:

Not sure what you are talking about.  Trump threatened to pull federal aid in fighting wild fires back in November, but like so many things with Trump nothing came of it.  Has he done something more recently?

Maybe I'm just reacting to more things he's "threatening" to do too seriously.  But it's about this stuff:

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/08/05/lawmakers-demand-explanation-cut-national-guard-funding-392001