Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

56 minutes ago, Starlord said:

Trump has voted by mail 3 times in the last 3 years and as recently as April 2020 in the FL primary.  On one of these ballots he got his birth date wrong.

More to the point, it looks like he's literally denying mail in voting in states where it's apparent he'll do worse because of mail in voting.  And now he's trying to use the oval office to file suit to block mail in voting in Nevada.  Which may be the start of doing that elsewhere (except where it'll help him, of course).

So...

14 hours ago, Ragitsu said:

Oh, yes. I forgot that a "D" is now a passing grade.

This map displays the ease/difficulty of voting by mail on a state-by-state basis and not how well each state handled COVID-19.

Never mind Covid is kind of stamped on my mind.

And D is always passing, you just dont actually admit to what you got to your parents.😉

8 hours ago, dmjalund said:

Do you have a deep hole near your front door?

I used to have one when the state decided to expand the road width. Took 2 years to get that right, myself.

Ok more like a Ww1 trench replica by the side of the road. That took a while to fill up. Still would be careful if a recent snowstorm or you will never be heard from again.  

1 hour ago, Badger said:

I used to have one when the state decided to expand the road width. Took 2 years to get that right, myself.

Ok more like a Ww1 trench replica by the side of the road. That took a while to fill up. Still would be careful if a recent snowstorm or you will never be heard from again.  

Sounds handy for Ewok body disposal.

28 minutes ago, archer said:

I have to say that left Trump out-debated right Trump.

That's because Left Trump is our Trump; Right Trump is from the Bizarro World. He tried to pull that ouroboros debate crap, but was promptly slapped down by the OG at 0:56 and then 1:16.

I just hope people are aware that there's more to this election than "get rid of Trump". He's a consequence of the problem...not the problem itself. We can't go back to "the way things were before Trump" because that is what got us Trump to begin with. Establishment control of the country....lack of awareness or concern for the issues of most of the populace....and a feeling that the system is rigged (because it is).

The public radio program On the Media had a quite interesting program today (Aug. 9) about the rise of Poland's Law and Justice Party, and its use of conspiracy theory and tailored history to further its nationalist aims. A scary case study in the rise of illiberal democracy and populist nationalism -- but there is still some hope. Law and Justice looks shaky -- yes, its presidential candidate won the last election, but narrowly, despite full exploitation of captive state media, against a liberal candidate brought in only a few weeks before the election. If Fukuyama's liberal "end of history" is no longer a sure thing, neither is populist neo-fascism.

Well worth hearing.

Dean Shomshak

On 8/8/2020 at 8:17 PM, Dr. MID-Nite said:

I just hope people are aware that there's more to this election than "get rid of Trump". He's a consequence of the problem...not the problem itself. We can't go back to "the way things were before Trump" because that is what got us Trump to begin with. Establishment control of the country....lack of awareness or concern for the issues of most of the populace....and a feeling that the system is rigged (because it is).

Unfortunately, they probably dont

8 hours ago, Starlord said:

Trump has demonized the media so much....denied the facts so much....that the only "truth" is what he "believes"....and Americans eat it up. Anti intellectualism at its finest. I've never in all my years thought about leaving the country, but a Trump re-election might do it.

4 hours ago, Dr. MID-Nite said:

Trump has demonized the media so much....denied the facts so much....that the only "truth" is what he "believes"....and Americans eat it up. Anti intellectualism at its finest. I've never in all my years though about leaving the country, but a Trump re-election might do it.

Given how much the United States of America's policies influence the rest of the world, you may want to substitute "planet" or "dimension" for "country".