Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

Well, I was hoping for Tammy Duckworth, and my wife wanted Valdez Demings.  Susan Rice and Karen Bass would also have been fine choices.  The Republicans have attacks lined up against Rice and Bass, but I don't think that you should let your opponents choose who can and cannot be your VP pick.

When Kamala Harris was running, Al Things Considered interviewed her (along with a bunch of other Dem candidates), and she advanced a rather interesting argument that used infrastructure to talk about structural racism and social justice.. To wit: If roads don't get maintained properly, they are more likely to damage vehicles. For a fairly prosperous person, this is no big deal. For a poor person, it's catastrophic. It can mean choosing between paying rent or paying for car repair, or losing a job because you can't get to it for a few days. And of course, guess which groups are disproportionately poor? So, administrations that are stingy about road repair help to entrench poverty; spending money on road repair can help, well, de-entrench poverty.

It's not a heroic attitude toward social reform. "Fix the roads!" doesn't speak of villainy confronted and virtue established. But to me it suggests someone who's thinking analytically about what practical steps can be taken to relieve social ills.

Dean Shomshak

4 hours ago, wcw43921 said:

Here's a proper announcement, then--

Biden Selects Kamala Harris As His Running Mate

As someone from the right and hearing the chatter. It is as if, Biden consulted with Trump himself.  This might be the one choice that was most hoped for on the right fo get the pick. (maybe, maybe Stacey Abrams, would have been a better pick for Gop, but debateable)

9 hours ago, Ragitsu said:

Not a good person; then again, neither is Biden. Ahhh...I enjoy being reminded that the choice is between raccoon vomit and porcupine diarrhea.

What did I JUST say?!? 

A warning has been issued - further posts like this (from anyone) will result in moderation or banning from the forums entirely.

I think the biggest things Harris has to overcome are her lack of transparency as a DA, and the perception of her as someone who flip flops on issues. I'd never heard any of the issues in the above article raised before, aside from the truancy thing. (Which the article had right: She was trying to target a root cause, or symptom of one, in that case.)

She wouldn't have been my first pick, but I'm going to enjoy watching her destroy Pence in the coming debates.

1 hour ago, csyphrett said:

She is already being targeted as a kid of an immigrant so she is not a citizen because Oakland doesn't count as part of the country

CES 

I, seriously, read some jerk trying to argue that she couldn't be considered a "natural born" citizen because both of her parents weren't born inside the USA.

Where's my rolleyes emoji when I need it?

On 8/11/2020 at 10:07 AM, Starlord said:

Social media has exacerbated intolerance and hatred exponentially IMO.  It allows you to easily voice 'opinions', but without the courtesy, temperance and natural back and forth dialogue of a face-to-face setting.

And the very real threat of getting a knuckle sandwich if you've rightly talked yourself into one. The anonymity of social media gives people license to say things they wouldn't dare say face-to-face.

Given the ages of Donald Trump and Joe Biden, it's not entirely inconceivable to think that either Mike Pence or Kamala Harris will ascend to the Presidency before the 2024 election.

Of the four just named, I am reluctantly forced to conclude that Harris is probably the most qualified to lead the country.

(Your conclusion may be different, of course.)

21 hours ago, Cygnia said:

Thank you for this, I admit, Harris was not who I hoped for. Heck, she's not even on my short list at all, but it's nice to have these facts to be ready to combat some of the BS that will be flying at her from some of my relations. And it puts my mind a bit more ease as well

On 8/11/2020 at 10:19 PM, Badger said:

As someone from the right and hearing the chatter. It is as if, Biden consulted with Trump himself.  This might be the one choice that was most hoped for on the right fo get the pick. (maybe, maybe Stacey Abrams, would have been a better pick for Gop, but debateable)

The Left (which is the Center anywhere else but America today) generally approve of Harris. The Right were never going to vote for Biden no matter who his running mate is. Neither side is going to listen to what the other says about it. The Middle won't be swayed by this issue alone, assuming there are significant numbers of them left regarding the POTUS.

This was a beneficial choice for the voters Biden is going after, and won't damage him significantly with others IMHO.

spacer.png

I just saw this meme start popping up.  The vetting of Kamala Harris is EXTREMELY important, especially given the conditions that Pariah mentioned a few posts ago.  This meme presents the opportunity for an interesting discussion about the difference between hypocrisy and being allowed to change one's mind over time after ingesting more information and life experience.  The self-righteous hordes of Cancel Culture love descending en masse upon statements that public figures have made in the past.  As you can see this meme (unlike the vast majority of political memes) is factually true, according to snopes - https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/kamala-harris-police-statements/?fbclid=IwAR1zcdyd3W1N8nj6CV1ZnTjjPeik2UAuM_t1E4gwUZbODly_5JuriiN45II

However, it also true that in 2008 Donald Trump was a registered democrat and a friend of the Clintons, having defended them publicly on many occasions.  In 2017, the President signed an Executive Order to buy and hire American, while at the same time he and his family were using and consistently hiring foreign labor for their various companies.  These are just two examples out of many I could use.  At what point are you a hypocrite or did your thinking just evolve (or devolve)?  Anyway, an interesting thing to think about IMO.