Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

10 hours ago, Old Man said:

It’s not a very well written article; every citation described has been against the rules at one point or another.*  And the author glaringly omits the fact that hundreds of people continue to flout the rules every day, something that can literally be checked by going outside and looking at all the people who are gathering at beaches and parks without masks. 

To be fair, it’s been hard to keep track of all the changes as the state and four mayors try to implement effective and enforceable rules with relatively little economic damage. But Hawai’i is hardly alone in that regard. 

* Especially being homeless. God damn does Hawai’i hate its homeless people. 

Yeah, that's my impression as well. 

“While on routine patrol, I observed a female exercising inside Waipio Neighborhood Park,” one officer wrote. “Female was stopped and cited for park closure.” - well, the parks were closed to everyone from Aug 6 - Sep 10th.

"Officers have issued citations to individuals walking alone outside and to homeless people who live outdoors." - those don't appear to be legit if that's exactly what happened.

"Officers have issued citations to parents at the beach with their own children" - The beaches were closed to everyone from Aug6 - Sep 10th. At this point, the rules still say, "Group activities are NOT allowed with any number of people regardless of household."

@ScottishFox Thanks for that link. It's often very difficult to get local news of an area which is published on sites which I don't know even exist.

4 hours ago, archer said:

"Officers have issued citations to individuals walking alone outside and to homeless people who live outdoors." - those don't appear to be legit if that's exactly what happened.

I suspect these are lack-of-mask citations but there’s not enough detail in the article to know. 

Envelope containing ricin was found in White House mail addressed to Trump. Ricin can cause respiratory problems and death, there's no antidote.

Of course it never got close to the president since all White House mail is screened off-site.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/package-containing-ricin-was-intercepted-in-the-white-house-mail-11600543252

Apparently it was mailed from Canada.

On 9/20/2020 at 5:14 PM, Cygnia said:

I'll be the cynic with the tin foil hat and wonder out loud about it being a false flag

"It is 8PM, and this is the BBC news on the hour.

Leading off, British Prime Minister Winston Churchill denied allegations in the German press that the recent firestorm in Hamburg was the work of Bomber Command. "We know what their target was for tonight," the Prime Minister said, in what many regard as a nod to his base. 

Around Kursk, fighting continues between Soviet Russian forces and anti-government militias. Russian sources continue to present alleged German prisoners as evidence that the German army is involved. In a statement from the Reichschancellor's press secretary, Joe Goebbels, the Russians are accused of violating the privacy rights of their, in his words, "so-called prisoners."

From Washington, our correspondent files the following report on continuing Congressional investigations into responsibility for the recent battleship-destroying explosions at Pearl Harbor."

No disrespect, but I'm a little tired of "false flags."

2 hours ago, Dr. MID-Nite said:

To the surprise of....no one...Reps are already backpedaling on the SC nomination issue. I'm.....shocked. Sigh.....

They probably got some of their first polls back since Ginsburg's death and found that having a vote was vastly unpopular among voters who weren't already on their side.

I half expect them to back off on the vote before the election, in order to appease voters, while claiming it makes no difference since Trump is sure to win.

Then do what I expected them to do from the first and have the hearings and vote in a lame duck session after the election if Trump loses or the election is tied up in the courts.

US presidential debate schedule:

Sep. 29 First presidential debate at Case Western Reserve-Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, Ohio

The six topics for the first debate will be “The Trump and Biden Records,” “The Supreme Court,” ”Covid-19,” “The Economy,” “Race and Violence in our Cities,” and “The Integrity of the Election.” Topics are subject to change if some new issue suddenly emerges.

Oct. 07 Vice presidential debate at The University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah

Oct. 15 Second presidential debate at Adrienne Arsht Center for the Performing Arts, Miami, Florida

Oct. 22 Third presidential debate at Belmont University, Nashville, Tennessee

https://apnews.com/25091d52b20550cd0e4e008515758499

14 minutes ago, ScottishFox said:

I'd rather watch the proposed 4 hour single debate hosted by Joe Rogan. 

So far Rogan and Trump are on board.

On average Joe has a higher monthly viewership than CNN and I prefer the long interview format over the 4-minute spots with guests screaming talking points at each other.

I doubt if Joe can stand for 4 hours, much less keep his thoughts straight for 4 straight hours. I know I couldn't do either.

Trump doesn't mind slumping over a podium and using it to support himself, he does that at most of his rallies. And he doesn't have to worry about trying to make sense: everyone expects him to make stuff up and lie continuously.

====

Personally, I'd rather have multiple long-format debates with both candidates sitting.

No advance warning about what topics would be brought up.

The question would be asking the candidate to start off explaining the nuances of some public policy issue. Then explain how his philosophy of governance would generally deal with that and similar matters. Then ask him to come up with a policy proposal to be incorporated into his campaign and be a promise to the voters that he would work to enact if elected.

And none of the questions would be based on things which are part of the candidate's stump speech, campaign website, or legislation he had already proposed at some point.

The woman who sent the letter with ricin was caught trying to cross the Canadian border back into the US while carrying a loaded gun and a knife.

The letter apparently said, “If it doesn’t work, I’ll find better recipe for another poison, or I might use my gun when I’ll be able to come.” And the letter had her fingerprints on it.

Apparently she isn't very subtle.

https://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/517602-woman-who-allegedly-sent-ricin-to-white-house-included-threatening

55 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

I kind of wonder whether Trump blathering for an extended period would be bad or good for him. On the one hand it would underline that his thinking is incoherent. On the other hand his listeners might get so confused as to think he actually won the debate.

They'll think that no matter what.  OR, they'd write it off as entrapment.

1 hour ago, Matt the Bruins said:

Alligators are probably pretty hard to find in Canada.

Now, sure. But alligators were once common in Canada's Arctic.

1 hour ago, Hermit said:

Give Global Warming another 20 years

*Tips chapeau* You're welcome, Quebec

If you plan to move north when Tennessee turns to desert, you'd better start learning French.

2 hours ago, archer said:

I doubt if Joe can stand for 4 hours, much less keep his thoughts straight for 4 straight hours. I know I couldn't do either.

Oh, I was thinking it would be in the usual Joe Rogan podcast format.  You have both guys at the table and you just talk for a few hours.

Maybe 90 minutes - each - without the other guy there discussing policies and governing approaches and what not and then an hour with both guys present where they can challenge each other on hot topics.