Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

50 minutes ago, ScottishFox said:

Oh, I was thinking it would be in the usual Joe Rogan podcast format.  You have both guys at the table and you just talk for a few hours.

Maybe 90 minutes - each - without the other guy there discussing policies and governing approaches and what not and then an hour with both guys present where they can challenge each other on hot topics.

I'm afraid I can't see Trump agreeing to let Biden talk for 90 minutes uninterrupted.

39 minutes ago, archer said:

John McCain's widow, Cindy McCain to endorse Biden.

Considering how close the election in AZ looks, that could make a difference.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/09/22/cindy-mccain-to-endorse-joe-biden-420099

I'm surprised it took her this long. John McCain and Joe Biden were close friends for many years, despite their political differences. Products of a different era in politics.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/22/climate/climate-change-future.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

Opening paragraph if it's paywalled for you:

America is now under siege by climate change in ways that scientists have warned about for years. But there is a second part to their admonition: Decades of growing crisis are already locked into the global ecosystem and cannot be reversed.

Which many of us recognize.  It was interesting to see it today, tho, after our comments here yesterday.

13 hours ago, archer said:

John McCain's widow, Cindy McCain to endorse Biden.

Considering how close the election in AZ looks, that could make a difference.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/09/22/cindy-mccain-to-endorse-joe-biden-420099

10 hours ago, wcw43921 said:

Scooped by Archer, WCW...

I only hope it makes a difference, but I'm not counting on it.  

Getting away from daily events for a moment, Freakonomics Radio looks at America's political parties as a duopoly or rival businesses, like Coke and Pepsi or Schick and Gillette. Though I would still argue there are deep and meaningful differences between the parties and what they are trying to achieve beyond their self-perpetuation as fundraising machines.

September 2, 2020

America's Hidden Duopoly (Ep. 356 Rebroadcast)

We all know our political system is "broken" — but what if that's not true? Some say the Republicans and Democrats constitute a wildly successful industry that has colluded to kill off competition, stifle reform, and drive the country apart. So what are you going to do about it? See omnystudio.com/policies/listener for privacy information.

Drat, the "Listen" link didn't paste in. I'll try to get it.

Dean Shomshak

Let's try this:

• America’s Hidden Duopoly (Ep. 356) - Freakonomics

freakonomics.com/podcast/politics-industry

America’s Hidden Duopoly (Ep. 356) October 31, 2018 @ 11:00pm. by Stephen J. Dubner. Produced by Greg Rosalsky. Listen now: Download. In the most recent two-year election cycle, the political industry generated roughly $16 billion in revenue. Meanwhile, customer satisfaction — that is, from voters — is at a historic low.

6 minutes ago, DShomshak said:

I would still argue there are deep and meaningful differences between the parties and what they are trying to achieve beyond their self-perpetuation as fundraising machines.

I argued that before Trump won the 2016 Republican nomination.

Thanks for the link. 

50 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

I agree that the Republican and Democratic parties have been extremely successful at advancing their own interests. Until recently. We're in our present situation because they both committed the one unpardonable sin for corporate entities: alienating their client base.

I think that you misunderstand who their client base it. 😏

Reports that the Trump campaign plan for losing is to say the election was fraudulent, then tell State Legislatures in states with Republican majorities to ignore the votes and appoint Republican Electors to the College.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tommybeer/2020/09/23/report-trump-campaign-actively-discussing-radical-measures-to-bypass-election-results/#797ac2654800

The Constitution does say that Electors get chosen how the State Legislature decides (Governors might not even get a veto). That said, it also says the Federal Government can pass laws that overrule that. And we DO have those laws. I'll look them up later.

3 hours ago, Sociotard said:

Reports that the Trump campaign plan for losing is to say the election was fraudulent, then tell State Legislatures in states with Republican majorities to ignore the votes and appoint Republican Electors to the College.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tommybeer/2020/09/23/report-trump-campaign-actively-discussing-radical-measures-to-bypass-election-results/#797ac2654800

The Constitution does say that Electors get chosen how the State Legislature decides (Governors might not even get a veto). That said, it also says the Federal Government can pass laws that overrule that. And we DO have those laws. I'll look them up later.

The fraud assertion is largely a given.  The threat to collude, to have the states reject the results...that's beyond terrifying.

I expect Trump to win the in-person voting by a large enough margin for him to declare victory.

Then mail-in ballots will roll in over the next several days reversing that outcome.

Then cries of foul play and a legal kerfuffle the likes of which we have never seen.  I don't think either side will accept the election outcome regardless of who wins.

I'd go further, right now, our allies are RIGHT to not trust us, or at least our government. I don't think they should ignore everything that comes out an American's official's mouth, but I certainly find it shameful that right now our best boast is "At least we're not  Russia or China".  If Trump gets another four years, I advise the EU to prepare a replacement for NATO as best they can because I don't think it will last.