Jump to content

Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)


Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, archer said:

 

I've talked myself blue in the face trying to explain to people, in real life and online, that pointing out where evolution doesn't show you every answer to every last question at this point in time IS NOT proof that God created the universe.

 

I've resorted to repeating their arguments back to them then saying "I knew it! Fairies are responsible for everything!"

 

Sometimes I just get blank looks then I have to explain my fairies comment.

 

But sometimes I get a flicker of recognition from them that even if they disprove evolution completely (good luck), they haven't taken a single step forward toward proving that God created the universe.

 

Space aliens. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raëlism

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I feel this needs to be shared.  

If Doc Democracy or I start cursing or getting upset You'll know it is the election that has caused it,. I voted and helped take mum to vote. Had to walk the wheelchair down the hill as it would

Posted Images

Pre-debate coverage.

 

No social distancing inside the debate site. A number of people on camera not wearing masks or wearing the mask but not covering the nose while standing face-to-face with others.

 

No sign of people being escorted from the debate hall for not complying with the mask rules, as was promised would happen.

 

The Biden campaign plan is that directly after the debate, Harris is going to join Biden for them to campaign together.

 

I'd scrap that plan based on what I'm seeing of COVID spread inside the debate site.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

I'm trying to think of what war is being waged on Christianity, who the "other side" is, and what Donald Trump has done or possibly could do to "save" it. I'm coming up blank so far.

 

If Eric means Democrats, an awful lot of them and their voters identify as Christians, so that seems unlikely. Donald Trump hasn't done anything legislatively to bolster Christianity, and certainly not by his Christian conduct. And it's possible the "war" might just be a refusal by many people to kowtow to those who pay lip service to that religion.

 

My question has always been this: There’s this whole thing about abortion. But no one is willing to step up with daycare. Or the cost of healthcare. Or defund the military by a few million — against its trillions — to rebuild our public school system. You can’t save the children then forget about them. It’s not about being Christian; it’s code for racism and suppression of women.

 

I freely admit to spit-balling here. The “war on Christianity” is all a giant gambit based on Roe v Wade; if we have abortions, then women may not have children unintentionally and thus may finish their education, get jobs, and do better than men. It’s way, way more complex than I’m explaining here, and gets into health care, day care, education, etc. But that’s “the gist.” It’s not actually Christianity, it’s about oppression.

 

 

26 minutes ago, Hermit said:

Pence is so full of crap he's drawing flies now?

 

Oh, no. That was clearly a sign from his true master, Beelzebub, the Lord of the Flies himself.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Something which escaped my notice earlier in the day. Trump put out a video.

 

Not really interested in the content but in his appearance.

 

 

My wife has COPD, asthma, restricted breathing beyond that, and the lungs of a 90 year old according to her pulmonologist. So she tends to notice little things about people and their breathing. For example she noticed, before I did, how labored Trump's breathing was in that video he staged just as he was going to the hospital.

 

In this video, she noticed that Trump's lips are white...which is a sign of low blood oxygen. The lips go either white or blue when the person's oxygen drops below a certain level.

 

This is known as cyanosis and happens only when the blood oxygen goes below 85%.

 

A normal reading would be 97-99%. Someone is considered to be in distress if their reading drops below 94%.

 

This is a sign that he should be in the hospital or at least be on the way to the hospital because his lungs aren't functioning likely either because of infection or a blood clot in the lungs.

 

Blood clots are one of the known risks which come from being on steroids for your breathing problems.

 

A blood clot in the lungs (aka a pulmonary embolism) can be fatal. Roughly 10% of people who get one die almost instantly.

 

Also note that he has a two tone face, the upper half of his face is a different color than the lower half of his face. Either his makeup artist is having a bad day or something else is going on.

 

In any case, this doesn't seem to be a great sign about how the president is handling being ill.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, megaplayboy said:

I think he's going to pull out of the second debate at the last minute.  If he goes back into the hospital, he may never come back out.  

 

He'd be better off politically claiming right now that he beat Biden so badly in the first debate that there's no need of a second rather than waiting until later.

 

He's acting like he's scared of being in the hospital. And scared of being sick, in addition to being scared of appearing to be sick.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, archer said:

 

He'd be better off politically claiming right now that he beat Biden so badly in the first debate that there's no need of a second rather than waiting until later.

 

He's acting like he's scared of being in the hospital. And scared of being sick, in addition to being scared of appearing to be sick.

 

I think Trump's fear is , in a nut shell, being seen as weak. The more I learn about the guy, the more the consensus seems to be those trying to peer into his brain is that he worships strength, or more accurately, the appearance of strength. He seems absolutely terrified of being seen as vulnerable because he goes after the weak and vulnerable himself and expects others to act the same. Being sick? Weak. Being in a hospital? An admission he's weak. So get out there, puff up like a shaved primate, and act like it was nothing...

better to risk his life and the lives of others than risk his 'top dawg' position he's imagined in the world's hierarchy as he sees it.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, archer said:

“He’s literally saved Christianity,” Eric Trump told “What’s on Your Mind” host Scott Hennen“I mean, there’s a full out war on faith in this country by the other side.”

 

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/520090-eric-trump-claims-his-father-literally-saved-christianity

 

Who knew?

 

After Trump wins his next four years in office, do you think Eric will be in line for the next eight in the dynasty or will Ivanka get her turn first?

 

Based on how she's presented herself so far a few years of Ivanka would be a serious improvement.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

I'm trying to think of what war is being waged on Christianity, who the "other side" is, and what Donald Trump has done or possibly could do to "save" it. I'm coming up blank so far.

 

If Eric means Democrats, an awful lot of them and their voters identify as Christians, so that seems unlikely. Donald Trump hasn't done anything legislatively to bolster Christianity, and certainly not by his Christian conduct. And it's possible the "war" might just be a refusal by many people to kowtow to those who pay lip service to that religion.

I'll refer again to the episode of On the Media I linked to a couple pages back. Christianity does have a longstanding persecution complex. (Though many Christians resist it; and one might argue that to see Jesus as persecuted is a deep misunderstanding of the Sacrifice of Christ.) Now, Christians *are* persecuted in some parts of the world, but the USA is not one of those places.

 

For comparison, I heard "Islamism" explained like this: A Muslim is a person who believes in and practices Islam. An Islamist is a person who believes Islam should hold institutional dominance over the rest of society. You can be a Muslim without being an Islamist (and many Muslims are).

 

The sort of Evangelicals who rage at a supposed "war on Christianity" may or may not be Christians; that is between them and God. But they sure seem to be "Christianists," more interested in institutional power than the saving of souls. Which from my outsider's perspective seems doctrinally dubious, given Jesus' repeated scorn for worldly power.

 

Dean Shomshak

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, archer said:

In this video, she noticed that Trump's lips are white...which is a sign of low blood oxygen. The lips go either white or blue when the person's oxygen drops below a certain level.

 

This is known as cyanosis and happens only when the blood oxygen goes below 85%.

 

A normal reading would be 97-99%. Someone is considered to be in distress if their reading drops below 94%.

 

This is a sign that he should be in the hospital or at least be on the way to the hospital because his lungs aren't functioning likely either because of infection or a blood clot in the lungs.

 

My dad never developed this symptom, and he was hospitalized for pneumonia a month before he died and had a drainage tube surgically inserted into his lung to draw off pint after pint of bloody fluid from infection. If memory serves, his blood oxygen bottomed out in the mid 80s while he was in the ICU, which had him wheezing and the nurses quite concerned. I'm frankly amazed that Trump is on his feet if his oxygen/lung function has dropped lower than that. Those must be some GOOD drugs they have him on.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Matt the Bruins said:

 

My dad never developed this symptom, and he was hospitalized for pneumonia a month before he died and had a drainage tube surgically inserted into his lung to draw off pint after pint of bloody fluid from infection. If memory serves, his blood oxygen bottomed out in the mid 80s while he was in the ICU, which had him wheezing and the nurses quite concerned. I'm frankly amazed that Trump is on his feet if his oxygen/lung function has dropped lower than that. Those must be some GOOD drugs they have him on.

 

My wife was on Rituxan for a couple of years for her ultra-rare ear condition.  This year she reacted to the medicine, developed acute onset CVID and her body decided to eat a couple of pints of blood.

 

She developed none of the symptoms classically associated with low oxygen (blue lips, pale, etc.) and instead seemed to get weak, sluggish and act kind of drunk.  After I carried her to bed she kind of crawled in place unable to move herself to her usual sleeping spot.  I called 911.  Her resting heart rate was up to 145 and her blood oxygen was in the toilet.  Paramedics said she'd have been dead by morning.  They ended up giving her 3-4 units of blood at the hospital.

 

I'd be shocked if Trumps numbers were that bad based on how my wife looked with similar numbers (she was a little lower - right at 80 - but dropping).

 

On the plus side - We're about a month post cochlear implant and she's doing WAY better off all the crazy immuno-suppressants and she's finally off the immuno-globulin infusions and blood thinners she had to take while her immune system built back up.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...