Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

3 hours ago, Hermit said:

It's actually clever. Sanders can't be president so no longer a threat. It is a nice attempt to rile those who wanted to vote for Bernie into resenting Biden, and whether or not that works, ,that will cause others in the Democrats to growl about 'Disloyal Bernie bros' nevermind that more Bernie supporters voted for Clinton in 2016 than Clinton Supporters voted for Obama in 2008.

Give the bastard props, Trump knows how to sow hate and division.

Trump understands greed, envy, hatred, and fear. He built his whole career on using those emotions to manipulate ignorant, gullible, or vulnerable people. He understands literally nothing else, though. I find keeping in mind that those emotions are also the core of Trump's own personality makes his actions more comprehensible.

2 hours ago, Cygnia said:

I have to say, as vile and pathetic as their beliefs are, in this era of so many public figures trying to weasel out of acknowledging they have similar beliefs, it's oddly refreshing to find people who wear them openly. But what they spout and how they operate, how they recruit impressionable young people with low self esteem, is textbook for every kind of extremist group today. Nothing original.

From the file of Good Things to Know:

White House’s science policy office on Tuesday ranked “ending the Covid-19 pandemic” atop the list of President Donald Trump’s top first-term accomplishments.

It's number one on their list of "Science and Technology Accomplishments from the First Term".

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/10/27/white-house-science-office-ending-pandemic-432827

My gosh, is there a bottom to Trump's well of self-delusion???  I am utterly flabbergasted.

28 minutes ago, archer said:

From the file of Good Things to Know:

White House’s science policy office on Tuesday ranked “ending the Covid-19 pandemic” atop the list of President Donald Trump’s top first-term accomplishments.

It's number one on their list of "Science and Technology Accomplishments from the First Term".

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/10/27/white-house-science-office-ending-pandemic-432827

1 hour ago, unclevlad said:

My gosh, is there a bottom to Trump's well of self-delusion???  I am utterly flabbergasted.

I'm not.  It took 244 years, but we've finally gotten from "I cannot tell a lie" to "I ended the pandemic that I literally caught two weeks ago and by the way it's a hoax".

And flabbergasting is half the reason he's gotten this far--the failure of imagination on the part of his victims, who were flabbergasted when he stiffed them on a contract, who were flabbergasted when he openly and repreatedly lied, and who will be flabbergasted when he loses the election and holds on to power anyway.  That's what we get for having trust and moral compasses.

1 hour ago, ScottishFox said:

I'd have to pick a time period after we rolled out the 1964 Civil Rights Act. 

The 80s and 90s were pretty great as I recall.

The last great thing I can recall is the year same sex marriage became legal across the country.  June 26, 2015.  I believe that's also the month Trump declared his candidacy for president.  

3 hours ago, Old Man said:

I'm not.  It took 244 years, but we've finally gotten from "I cannot tell a lie" to "I ended the pandemic that I literally caught two weeks ago and by the way it's a hoax".

And flabbergasting is half the reason he's gotten this far--the failure of imagination on the part of his victims, who were flabbergasted when he stiffed them on a contract, who were flabbergasted when he openly and repreatedly lied, and who will be flabbergasted when he loses the election and holds on to power anyway.  That's what we get for having trust and moral compasses.

"Refuge in Audacity" can be an entertaining trope, especially when used in screwball comedies.

As a political strategy, though, I find it quite distasteful.

On 10/25/2020 at 11:56 PM, archer said:

During the 2016 presidential campaign, Trump made it a habit to stay at Trump properties whenever possible. When he got a Secret Service detail assigned to him, like they do when someone becomes a serious contender, the Secret Service rented rooms at the Trump properties in order to stay close to him.

That was entirely legal.

After Trump was sworn in, he's made a habit of staying at Trump properties with his now expanded Secret Service detail also staying...with Trump continuing to get paid for renting them rooms.

That's a direct violation of the Constitution which doesn't allow the president to turn a profit off of being president and is definitely an impeachable offense.

The first time he did that was less than two weeks after being sworn into office. I screamed bloody murder at the time.

He's also repeatedly rented out Trump properties to the government so that he could hold presidential functions there. Not incidentally "someone somewhere in government happening to do business with a Trump business". This is the president deliberately scheduling events to happen on his own property, presenting a bill to the government, and accepting payment in direct violation of the Constitution.

Now I can't speak for the Democrats or Republicans as to why they didn't act but Trump should have been impeached and removed from office shortly after being sworn in based solely on information which was readily available without any investigation.

And I complained here when the Ukraine email thing looked like it was heading toward impeachment because the Democrats didn't choose to include other charges which would have built a stronger case against Trump and have shown a pattern of reckless disregard for the law and the Constitution.

This article hadn't been printed yet when I was ranting about this story the other day. Far be it from the Washington Post to make it easy on me and print their story before I have to summarize it. :) 

https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/nation/during-trumps-term-millions-of-government-and-gop-dollars-have-flowed-to-his-properties/

President Donald Trump welcomed the Japanese prime minister at Mar-a-Lago...

Trump’s Palm Beach, Fla., club billed the U.S. government $13,700 for guest rooms, $16,500 for food and wine and $6,000 for the roses and other floral arrangements.

Trump’s club even charged for the smallest of services. When Trump and Abe met alone, with no food served, the government still got a bill for what they drank.

“Bilateral meeting,” the bill said. “Water.” $3 each...

The payments from taxpayers to Mar-a-Lago started in Trump’s first full month on the job, February 2017.

Jeff Zeleny is a reporter for CNN.

Seven people were eventually taken to the hospital because the Trump campaign arranged bus transportation for his supporters to the rally but apparently didn't arrange for the busses to come and take people back to their cars (or to town)...

In Nebraska at this time of year when the temperature was expected to drop into the twenties after nightfall.

I can't vouch for this particular event but it isn't unusual for people to have to arrive six hours before a president makes a rally appearance. The high yesterday was in the mid-30's and fell from there.

Fox News supposedly reported that some people showed up at 10 a.m. and that hundreds of people were still standing around out on that tarmac waiting for transportation three hours after the event ended. But I don't have video of that Fox report.

8 minutes ago, archer said:

Jeff Zeleny is a reporter for CNN.

Seven people were eventually taken to the hospital because the Trump campaign arranged bus transportation for his supporters to the rally but apparently didn't arrange for the busses to come and take people back to their cars (or to town)...

In Nebraska at this time of year when the temperature was expected to drop into the twenties after nightfall.

I can't vouch for this particular event but it isn't unusual for people to have to arrive six hours before a president makes a rally appearance. The high yesterday was in the mid-30's and fell from there.

Fox News supposedly reported that some people showed up at 10 a.m. and that hundreds of people were still standing around out on that tarmac waiting for transportation three hours after the event ended. But I don't have video of that Fox report.

Some of those people will still vote for T.

14 minutes ago, Ragitsu said:

Some of those people will still vote for T.

I wouldn't be shocked. 

But my God, Trump went there chasing after one Electoral College vote in one congressional district. And he strands hundreds of his hardcore supporters in the cold for hours so that their plight is the lede in the news out of the event.

And he put some of them in the hospital for his narcissism...and that's even before the COVID risk.

I can't wrap my head around the level of incompetence it would take inside a political campaign for this to have happened. 

3 hours ago, Dr. MID-Nite said:

I can't possibly listen to Trump for 60 minutes. The amount of brain cells I would lose...unacceptable.

He walks out on the interviewer. The video linked is 20 minutes, including intro and comments. They also interview the VP candidates. So, not too much Trump time in that one.

2 hours ago, megaplayboy said:

DO NOT PUT IT IN THE MAIL BECAUSE IT'S TOO LATE NOW. 

It's by post date here.

And then there's Boston . . .

What is up with this "Your replies have been merged?" thing? Those were two separate topics that are now irrevocably mushed together.

Make that three. No, four most likely.

19 minutes ago, Pattern Ghost said:

What is up with this "Your replies have been merged?" thing? Those were two separate topics that are now irrevocably mushed together.

You have to either wait five minutes between posts or wait until someone else posts otherwise your posts get merged together.

That was a change in a site update a few months ago.

Very irritating.

21 minutes ago, Pattern Ghost said:

I discovered that you have to back off and give the forum software some time before you post a second reply.

Edit: archer the ninja!

But unless you're sure your local laws are more flexible...drop it off if that's feasible;  if not, then see about voting in person.  The recommended cutoff for mailing it back was yesterday.

I'm just going...5 more days.  Then this phase will be over, at least.  The contestation phase seems likely to be long and ugly, tho.