Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

1 hour ago, Ternaugh said:

The Trump campaign has created a hotline to report voter fraud. What could possibly go wrong? https://slate.com/culture/2020/11/trump-campaign-fraud-hotline-pranked-hamburglar-gravity-falls-tiktok.html

Right, this is the behavior I more or less expected of the campaign, and why I haven't taken any of their assertions to heart.  Trump's style has always been "making it up as I go", and nothing his administration says or does has ever said "I took the time to figure this out in any fashion".  Unless it's been handed to them by the entire Republican party on a platter.

There's probably some voter fraud going on.  There could even be bad actors sneaking into the system.  That's why I'm happy to have an investigation.

But they are saying "The democrats are cheaty cheaty cheaters big fraud everywhere".  That's not the messaging of a well-reasoning party with evidence of anything.  That's conmen trying to stay on top of the water, and grasping at straws.  Be vague enough and anything you say is true, or at least feels true... right?

It's frustrating to me and I continue to push against that.  It's not just an accusation.  It's literally going to tear this country apart.  No one will ever forgive any of this, even though campaign-wide massive cheats are incredibly unlikely.  All just so Trump can stay in office.

So the Trump campaign has gone from "I'm fighting for you" to "I'm fighting for you but I'm really fighting for me and I'll destroy any chance of reconciliation and cooperation this country will ever have for 100 years just so I can stay President for one more term".

Did I mention how they (Trump's campaign) leaked ~164k names, addresses, and last 4 SSNs of likely Republican-voters in my area again?  😕

I'd like to know how and why they had a database like that to begin with.  I know people who came close to getting burned by that.

22 minutes ago, TrickstaPriest said:

Right, this is the behavior I more or less expected of the campaign, and why I haven't taken any of their assertions to heart.  Trump's style has always been "making it up as I go", and nothing his administration says or does has ever said "I took the time to figure this out in any fashion".  Unless it's been handed to them by the entire Republican party on a platter.

I was just going to say, they had a pandemic response plan handed to them on a platter. They threw it out.

(But, of course, it wasn't the Republican party that handed them that platter, so of course they threw it out.)

1 minute ago, Pariah said:

I was just going to say, they had a pandemic response plan handed to them on a platter. They threw it out.

My question is why didn't they have this voter fraud hotline or website set up... in advance?

Why again, did Trump never attempt to open a commission, an investigation, anything to prepare for 'record voter fraud', in advance?

Why didn't, when he first started talking about it weeks ago, actually organize something other than trying to encourage 'active participation' that will obviously be either unlawful or disruptive?

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/pro-trump-protesters-rally-outside-arizona-ballot-counting-facility/

He did this to my area.  Then Alex Jones showed up to fan flames.  It's a wonder no one got shot.

2 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

This move is completely consistent with the whole Deep State conspiracy narrative.  

There is bad stuff our government has done and is doing.  But I know people who've done ballot counting and other election services.

Pulling election fraud across multiple states in the country?  Without any major evidence of it ever coming up?

If there are bad actors in the system, or even bad people from the campaign, it would be surprising to me that they 'all happen to be' democratic campaign people.  It would surprise me if there are thousands of them, everywhere, without anyone somehow noticing any weird shit.

Does that equalize things?  No.  That's why I think more eyes on the situation is not bad.

But it makes the message a hell of a thing to swallow from Trump's campaign.  They aren't interested in solving anything and won't do anything other than try and incite more violence.  They sure as hell won't fix anything.

Imagine what it would be like to have something like this coming from an actual competent campaign?  The whole country would be in pieces in a single term.  Trump has pretty much laid the groundwork for that.

1 hour ago, TrickstaPriest said:

There's probably some voter fraud going on.  There could even be bad actors sneaking into the system.  That's why I'm happy to have an investigation.

But they are saying "The democrats are cheaty cheaty cheaters big fraud everywhere".  That's not the messaging of a well-reasoning party with evidence of anything.  That's conmen trying to stay on top of the water, and grasping at straws.  Be vague enough and anything you say is true, or at least feels true... right?

I am hardly surprised; they're the party of "Molehill? What molehill? That is a tiny mountain."

1 minute ago, TrickstaPriest said:

There is bad stuff our government has done and is doing.  But I know people who've done ballot counting and other election services.

Pulling election fraud across multiple states in the country?  Without any major evidence of it ever coming up?

If there are bad actors in the system, or even bad people from the campaign, it would be surprising to me that they 'all happen to be' democratic campaign people.  It would surprise me if there are thousands of them, everywhere, without anyone somehow noticing any weird shit.

Does that equalize things?  No.  That's why I think more eyes on the situation is not bad.

But it makes the message a hell of a thing to swallow from Trump's campaign.  They aren't interested in solving anything and won't do anything other than try and incite more violence.  They sure as hell won't fix anything.

Imagine what it would be like to have something like this coming from an actual competent campaign?  The whole country would be in pieces in a single term.  Trump has pretty much laid the groundwork for that.

You're arguing reality.

First thing to recognize is that Trump never argues reality because it's not on his side.  He argues with innuendo and rumor, or with straw men.  No evidence just proves a cover-up, but what else do you expect from the Deep State?  The fact that there is no evidence of fraud proves there is fraud.  The Deep State itself isn't a claim;  it's an axiom, or a point taken on faith, depending on one's philosophical preferences.  The Deep State is not challengeable because it is True.  So any attempt to discredit any of these is simply crashing against that Truth, in the minds of those who've bought into his circular argument.

That might only be a small part, tho.  A large part has also been demonization, and this goes well beyond Trump.  Once you've dehumanized the opponent, well of course anything and everything is possible for them.  No proof?  CLEVER BUGGERS, AREN'T THEY!!!!

Speaking of which, political science professor John Mark Hansen made these points in his Nov. 5 opinion piece for the New York Times:

nion | Republicans Claim Voter Fraud. How Would That Work ...

www.nytimes.com/2020/11/04/opinion/trump-voter...

tl;dr: What would one actually need to do to manufacture tens of thousands of fraudulent ballots and so swing an election? Hansen concludes it requires it's... well, unrealistic. You'd need thousands of people, none of whom slip up or squeal, who are willing to risk jail. Because there are actual safeguards against just such shenanigans, almost as if, you know, election officials had thought about this.

Last night's "60 Minutes" segment about vote-counting had Philadelphia's top election official -- a Republican -- pointing out that they are live-streaming the vote count, so anyone with an internet connection can watch.

The outraged Trumpists don't seem to know any of this. But I think I can see the emotional pseudo-logic. They don't know the procedures to assure ballot integrity. They don't personally know the people who count the ballots. Therefore, anything is possible.

It's like the "God of the Gaps" argument used by some apologists for Christianity: "Science can't explain [fill in the blank], therefore God did it, which proves God exists." It's bad science, bad theology and worse logic, but it fills an emnotional need.

Conspiracy theories like Trump's claims of election fraud seem to rely on "gap demons": You don't know something, therefore devils are doing it.

EDIT: Oops, UncleVlad just made the same point, better.

Dean Shomshak

2 minutes ago, DShomshak said:

Last night's "60 Minutes" segment about vote-counting had Philadelphia's top election official -- a Republican -- pointing out that they are live-streaming the vote count, so anyone with an internet connection can watch.

The outraged Trumpists don't seem to know any of this. But I think I can see the emotional pseudo-logic. They don't know the procedures to assure ballot integrity. They don't personally know the people who count the ballots. Therefore, anything is possible.

It's like the "God of the Gaps" argument used by some apologists for Christianity: "Science can't explain [fill in the blank], therefore God did it, which proves God exists." It's bad science, bad theology and worse logic, but it fills an emnotional need.

Conspiracy theories like Trump's claims of election fraud seem to rely on "gap demons": You don't know something, therefore devils are doing it.

I mean, this observation is still valuable.

The problem is, one, there's still the Electors willingly handing over the states despite the votes, entirely because of the fraud rumors.  That naked power grab is possible with this very emotional justification.  This is before you even consider the Supreme Court.

The problem is, two, that because they've encouraged such a participatory anger, that Republican voters will still say they have been cheated, and crushed by liars, probably for the rest of their lives.  A huge portion of the country now thinks this way.

The problem is, three, the next election cycles will see Donald Trumpism type tactics just like this entirely to make this divide worse.  And they'll be done by people who can actually, you know, strategically prepare in advance.

That's why I'm such a doomer about this.

12 minutes ago, Old Man said:

I can think of another explanation for why Trump might have avoided taking steps to prevent election fraud.

No kidding.

But aside from the turnaround argument... all Trump does is push to change popular opinion.  This is a huge problem.  If you want tangible action on anything that isn't a naked power grab, this Presidency isn't the one to see it on.

But we need action now, on a lot of things.

I'm still not convinced the Electors won't flip their states anyway at the mere implication of what he's said.  I want to be hopeful, but.

(edit add) If anything, this administration has proven to me that 'good' won't win, and more specifically that the naked opportunity to take power is more valuable to these people than the shared stability of this country.

I've never seen an event like this in my lifetime.  A lot of people are hopeful, because they feel he speaks for them.  But his actions speak a hell of a lot louder to me than words, and that middle class tax cut is going to expire soon... and much of the changes he made can be interpreted as 'changing' the government, sure, but given his pattern of firings and replacements, it resembles make the government work for -me- a hell of a lot more. 😕

I don't think I'll live long enough to see the US get fixed from this damage, even if the repairs begin tomorrow.

1 hour ago, DShomshak said:

Oh, and isn't it strange that althought the Deep State Conspiracy can apparently manufacture as many fraudulent ballots as it needs to help Biden, it couldn't or wouldn't do that for all the down-ballot Dems who just lost races?

Dean Shomshak

This is a pretty good observation.

Whether you believe it or not, this kind of de-facto suggests there can't be a lot of fraudulent active ballots.  Even if there is a sophisticated 'operation'... that people are conjuring out of implication.

There could still be fingers on a few weights, and we can totally look into that.

But that's literally not what is being argued, which is why you pretty much can't trust the argue-er.

Hello? This is Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz and I'd like to report voter fraud. 

I was just about to vote in the Tri-State area using my Ballot-Box-Stuffinator when Perry the Platypus triggered the self-destruct circuit and destroyed my ballot. This should not go unanswered!

Sincerely,

Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz 

Executive Chairman of Evil Scientists Voting for a Better Tomorrow