Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

2 hours ago, DShomshak said:

I thought the proper expression was, "I can't in good conscience do X," but the guy substituted a similar but incorrect word. Sort of like how many people speak of "flaunting the law" when they mean "flouting."

There's also "I can't condone this".

I first saw the Fox host's words as a written statement and assumed he said "I can't in good conscience" but it was transcribed incorrectly.

I've seen "countenance" used like he did, but only in writings from the 1800's and earlier or some author writing about characters in the 1800's or earlier and who was wanting his character's conversations to seem old-fashioned.

I had no idea that word was still in common usage with that meaning today. I looked it up because I was skeptical as to whether that meaning would be even be listed in online dictionaries. And I was a bit flabbergasted that a Fox host would think that his audience would understand his meaning by using a word which I assumed was a bit obscure.

And I was more than a bit amused by the idea of the host trying to subtly say that he was having a tough time not laughing in her face.  :D 

4 hours ago, Ternaugh said:

So, what did the neighbors of Four Seasons Total Landscaping think of the press conference on Saturday? https://slate.com/human-interest/2020/11/interview-fantasy-island-sex-shop-four-seasons-landscaping-philadelphia.html

American politics is likely to remain a three-ring circus for a while, but hopefully we can soon end the clown show.

EDIT: I thought the adult store owner's designation of the "Trumpers'" opposite numbers as "Bidenites" was pretty clever.

14 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

American politics is likely to remain a three-ring circus for a while, but hopefully we can soon end the clown show.

EDIT: I thought the adult store owner's designation of the "Trumpers'" opposite numbers as "Bidenites" was pretty clever.

Trumpkins as a homage to Munchkins.

I haven't yet come up with a favorite term for Biden followers. 

25 minutes ago, TrickstaPriest said:

More consequences of what Trump has done:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/hammer-scorecard-vote-counts/

There will be millions of Americans, if not tens of millions, who will still believe this is real until the day they die.

Well, just remember, you can fool some of the people all of the time.

6 hours ago, archer said:

Trumpkins as a homage to Munchkins.

I haven't yet come up with a favorite term for Biden followers. 

5 hours ago, Pariah said:

"Grown-ups" 

Yeah, it's hard to come up with a good snark for people in Biden's cult of personality, because I just can't see him having one.

Dean Shomshak

On 11/9/2020 at 5:16 PM, Ragitsu said:

^ This is the flavor of competency we are going to lose :cry::weep:.

I bought Pfizer years ago and was so excited to earn millions when they announced their COVID vaccine...

Oops.... Turns out I bought Pfizer Total Landscaping instead.

Oh well. Maybe I could rent the place out for a news conference?

37 minutes ago, TrickstaPriest said:

This is actually old news now, but geeze.  PURE character assassination by innuendo once they find they have absolutely nothing.

Hey!!!  I'm brilliant!!!!

I just realized...the Fox News talking heads are all limbo dancers!!!!  Yes!!!  Each is always trying to go lower than the others!!!

And with that, I must bid you all a good evening...

I know everyone is white-knuckling the Alaska election results, so an update.

https://www.politico.com/2020-election/results/alaska/

Trump was ahead by 55,000 votes with 50% of the vote counted before absentee ballots started to be counted on Tuesday morning.

As of the end of counting Tuesday evening, with 69% of the vote counted, Trump is ahead by 47,767.

It's too early to call the race but it looks like the Biden dream of winning Alaska might be in trouble....

3 hours ago, TrickstaPriest said:

Aka "I never had real evidence of misdeeds by Hunter Biden, and my excuse for not presenting the evidence has been blown, so now I'm going to pretend to suddenly develop compassion."

Rupert Murdoch may be the worst thing to ever happen to journalism.

To be honest, you see this kind of infighting among white supremacists all the time. They make a lot of noise, but when it comes to action they're too angry, undisciplined, and insecure to cooperate effectively. It's why I never bought into the fear of a civil war under loser Trump's provocation. Sure, there could be localized violence, but large-scale coordination is beyond them.

Even the violence may be overrated. Movements like these tend to draw people who love to talk tough, but lack the stomach for real risky confrontation.