Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

13 hours ago, Starlord said:

Overall, I think DeWine as good a job as possible with the pandemic in Ohio.  To clarify, he said that Biden is the President-elect, but that Trump has the right to make sure the election results are correct.

I don't have any particular complaints with DeWine's handling of the pandemic.  That doesn't mean the "telling me to wear a mask is an infringement of my personal liberty" crowd doesn't lump him in the "freedom-hating, etc, etc, etc..." category who are a clear threat to America as we know it.

Ohio isn't as bad as Michigan from my personal observations (I've seen plenty of "My Governor is an Idiot" signs in Michigan - usually next to a Trump sign of some sort), but there is a certainly a subset of Ohioans who think DeWine has been/is being unduly restrictive and have expressed their opinions in a readily identifiable method.

6 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

Law firms have to worry about their broader reputation;  filing a bunch of hopeless lawsuits is not good for that.  Pennsylvania is particularly hopeless;  the margin is almost a full percentage point.  Laws vary, but I think the Trump campaign can demand a recount...but with that margin, in many states, THEY would have to pay for it.  Not the state.

The vote fraud cases would have to work their way up, yes, and with a long, extensive string of dismissals based on groundless...which is saying "WTF are you doing wasting the court's time" really...the Supreme Court will, I suspect be very much disinclined to hear any of them.  That said...if some states try to do an end-run on the electoral college, and select a slate in opposition to the popular vote in the state...THAT might go to the Supreme Court directly.  

CNN has finally called all the states, so the final margin is 306-232.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/lincoln-project-resurfaces-kellyanne-conway-tweet-calling-306-electoral-votes-historic/ar-BB1aZOpf?ocid=msedgdhp

25 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

Good golly, Trump's team makes mockery sooooo easy.......

And almost a moral imperative when the man is so grandiose and thin-skinned. The bigger you puff yourself up, the more you attract people with pins. The higher you build your pedestal, the more people want to knock it over.

Dean Shomshak

6 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

I think...really...we should give Trump a break.

I mean, look at how the shock of potentially losing turned his hair *white*.  Like, ALL the way white, all at once.  

You have to feel for a man who's undergone that, right?

Rogue had to face Dire Wraiths in order for her hair to turn white.

Losing an election shouldn't be a similar system shock.

44 minutes ago, archer said:

Losing an election shouldn't be a similar system shock.

OK, then you explain it... :)

(I saw it on a clip from his Rose Garden talk, where he was blaming Cuomo for delaying vaccine deployment.  I'm going good GOSH, it makes him look radioactive...glowing white hair going with the glowing orange skin tone...)

14 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

(I saw it on a clip from his Rose Garden talk, where he was blaming Cuomo for delaying vaccine deployment.  I'm going good GOSH, it makes him look radioactive...glowing white hair going with the glowing orange skin tone...)

Maybe the Pentagon finally came clean about the aliens they have locked up at Area 51.

That could explain Trump's disappearance the last few days....

11 hours ago, unclevlad said:

I think...really...we should give Trump a break.

I mean, look at how the shock of potentially losing turned his hair *white*.  Like, ALL the way white, all at once.  

You have to feel for a man who's undergone that, right?

No.

Hubby went grey-white at 17.

2 hours ago, TrickstaPriest said:

Local friends still think there's so much fraud that we shouldn't call the election yet.  They still quote stories that are disproven or failed in the courts due to lack of evidence.  Didn't even try to talk to them about it.

They are super thrilled by the hundred thousand people in Washington marching.

Is that a Trump estimate on the crowd size or a real estimate on the crowd size?

I think three people and an angry badger could equal a thousand people in a Trump count.

On Old Man's pic...

Story I saw yesterday about Jared and Ivanka.  Big time wheels in NYC before they went to DC.  Now?  After all the anti-NYC rants, the story postulated they'd be completely shunned.

It is constantly amazing that people hold to an absurd, consistently-rejected position.  But it's also amazing that we're still amazed. :)  I'm definitely not excluding myself there.  And frightening in what that says for the future.

3 hours ago, archer said:

Is that a Trump estimate on the crowd size or a real estimate on the crowd size?

I think three people and an angry badger could equal a thousand people in a Trump count.

100000 is the White House estimate.  DC officials put the count at 10,000.

Which apparently is more than enough for violence in the streets.

1 hour ago, Old Man said:

100000 is the White House estimate.  DC officials put the count at 10,000.

Which apparently is more than enough for violence in the streets.

NYT says 21 arrests, 1 stabbing.

I'm not saying that's good but, good gosh, it could've been a WHOLE lot worse.  And I'm still afraid one (or more) of these will be.

Hearing more significant Republicans call for Trump to...if not concede, at least allow the transition process to start and let Biden get the briefings.  Problem?  NYT story says they're Bolton...Taylor...Scaramucci...and Kelly.  Guess what they have in common?  They're all former high-ranking officials in Trump's administration...so...you know....traitors.  There's also the governor of Arkansas, but he's still far too much of a lonely voice.

1 minute ago, Pariah said:

Look, I don't mean to be rude, but all those Trump supporters promised me that COVID-19 was going to magically disappear right after the election. Well, it's still here. What the Hell, guys? I'm sick of it. Who do I complain to?

You're not believing enough.  If Tinkerbell was relying on your claps to live, she'd fizzle out...

On 11/13/2020 at 10:08 PM, unclevlad said:

Well, Cuomo was a complete incompetent.

But, still 49 other states.

I decided to watch more intelligent things than what passes for the news....

Who lives in a pineapple under the sea