Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

6 hours ago, Pariah said:

Russian bounties on American soldiers?

3 hours ago, Grailknight said:

The abandonment of the Kurds is probably a better bet.

Again, we're talking about the legal definition of treason. Yes, it can be argued that not putting pressure on the Russians to drop bounties put American soldiers at greater risk, and abandoning the Kurds threatens US security and global interests. Personally I agree with both arguments. But in neither case did Trump actively give aid or comfort to an enemy of the United States.

We'd like to stretch that definition to cover acts we consider unethical and immoral; but pushing the boundaries of the law to get his way is just what Donald Trump has done. That's not a precedent America can afford to nurture. In a nation of laws, what the law actually says is more important than what we want it to say. If we think it should be changed we pressure our legislators to change it. And if we don't believe we can do that, we officially give up on the ideal of a nation of laws.

25 minutes ago, Matt the Bruins said:

Wasn't there something about the super-fast abandonment of that US military base in Syria that allowed all kinds of sensitive information and equipment to fall into the hands of advancing Russian forces a few hours later rather than properly packing up and removing everything?

I think it was Turkish.  But yes, this was part and parcel to the clustereff that was the Kurd events.

7 hours ago, Old Man said:

Not I.

I was especially not surprised that the firing occurred via Twitter.  Stay classy, Trump.

If I were that guy, I'd show up to work tomorrow morning like normal.

If someone questioned me, I'd point to the federal court filing by the Justice Department where the administration admitted that Trump's tweets should not be taken literally as government policy.

26 minutes ago, archer said:

If I were that guy, I'd show up to work tomorrow morning like normal.

If someone questioned me, I'd point to the federal court filing by the Justice Department where the administration admitted that Trump's tweets should not be taken literally as government policy.

I would absolutely do this.

22 hours ago, archer said:

Maybe it's too early to seriously talk about the Biden agenda but obviously healthcare is going to be in there somewhere.

Bernie pushes for fully nationalized healthcare. Most progressives are pushing for "Medicare for All" while not being on Medicare themselves and realizing just how much Medicare sucks. Given the choice between only those two options, I'd go for nationalized healthcare every time.

However, I ran across this interesting article about how the European countries which have private insurance manage to avoid a lot of the problems which the US has with its system for private insurance.

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/why-europeans-don-t-get-huge-medical-bills?utm_source=pocket-newtab

I am again reminded of a series NPR did during the debates over the ACA, comparing the health insurance systems of various countries (IIRC, US, Canada, UK, Germany, Switzerland and Japan). Quite diverse; all gavbe better outcomes at lower cost than US. It's not that single-payer (or any other) is clearly and uniquely "best": It's that we in the US must be doing something uniquely wrong. (And perhaps more than one something.)

Dean Shomshak

50 minutes ago, DShomshak said:

I am again reminded of a series NPR did during the debates over the ACA, comparing the health insurance systems of various countries (IIRC, US, Canada, UK, Germany, Switzerland and Japan). Quite diverse; all gavbe better outcomes at lower cost than US. It's not that single-payer (or any other) is clearly and uniquely "best": It's that we in the US must be doing something uniquely wrong. (And perhaps more than one something.)

Dean Shomshak

Several things, IMO.

3 hours ago, unclevlad said:

For your amusement, and if you still have articles left (or a subscription):

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/18/opinion/trump-barr-giulianni-worst.html?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage

The head of the GSA came from nowhere to come in third.  Quite the feat for someone probably none of us knew existed 2 weeks ago.

Here’s what happened when Rudolph Giuliani made his first appearance in federal court in nearly three decades

7 hours ago, Starlord said:

Not to cut Rudy any slack for his obvious incompetence, but in the interest of fairness it should be noted that all he had to work with is the same BS that Trump's lawyers have seen thrown out of almost every court it's been presented. The suits themselves are laughable from a legal standpoint.

I've come to believe Trump gets along with Giuliani because they both shovel BS with equal gusto.

7 hours ago, Starlord said:

I tried to read that article, and I had to give up after two minutes because the stupid was too painful.

And I spend most of my days with teenagers.

8 hours ago, Starlord said:

MSN gave a gentle, incomplete version of the story. The Daily Mail gave more detail and gave enough context to show just how stupid Rudy's performance was.

He's kind of like the grandpa you have to sit down and have The Talk with about how he has to give up his driver's license because he can't see to drive and isn't aware of his surroundings anymore.

But this is someone needing to talk to Rudy about giving up his law license because he can't remember the judge's name or enough details about the case he's supposed to be arguing in order to be able to present it.

On 11/18/2020 at 8:20 AM, Hermit said:

Some logical points, but I think many Americans are sick of the two justice system... and practical or not, states still being able to make moves or not, there is something in the national character that would take another shot of cynicism like poison in a glass if we just keep admitting that those in power never have to play by the rules like those who don't.

I'm not for the pardon. But yes it will cause backlash

Everyone needs to be reminded that not even the president is above the law, so I am also against the pardon.

On 11/18/2020 at 8:38 AM, Starlord said:

During one of my shifts sending text messages, one of my teammates shared a response about getting rid of "Cinnamon Hitler and the rest." Why didn't I ever get any responses like that?

On 11/18/2020 at 8:57 AM, Cancer said:

Frankly, I am waiting to see just how much of the Führerbunker scenario plays out in the coming weeks.

I'm tired of this farce already. I think it's time for legal action to try and put an end to the shenanigans.