Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

18 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

The tail end has the most salient point:  is this temporary, short-lived, driven by the moment...or is this popularity really going to last?  The latter is worrisome.  The numbers don't have to be large;  if all these networks do is to continue the extreme disinformation campaigns, they'll keep stoking the furnaces among the types that are hounding election officials' homes and families.  That will VERY likely lead to violence.

Essentially the new GOP strategy isn't "stop abandoning an increasingly secular and scientifically-literate youth to the perils of climate change and predatory wealth/religious-cult authoritarian leaders", it's "kill the younglings (for not listening to our lifestyle, built largely by predatory wealth/religious-cult authoritarian leaders, that will end your future anyway)"

The only amazing thing to me is they managed to use overt sexism to tunnel between highly secular gamers and religious maniacs for as long as they have

5 minutes ago, Cygnia said:

The problem is the populace supporting this genuinely believe that the non-trump voters in places like Pennsylvania and Michigan aren't part of this equation.  That trump had to win all four of these locations, because he just had to.

The fact that there are literally millions of people who's votes don't matter to them apparently doesn't enter their thought.  That, in fact, not everyone likes Trump.

On the one hand, this lawsuit doesn't concern me because I cannot conceive that the SC will do anything but reject it, with either no comment or a retaliatory broadside that it's a farce.

On the other hand, what's so scary is the states trying to back it.  Because they aren't going to do that if they fear a political backlash...and that means, they must feel they've got widespread voter support in their states.  That shows me that the politics of separation won't change;  why accede to anything the Democrats want, when their core is this large and this strong?  It embraces Trumpian political strategy, if not philosophy of governance...because Trump doesn't have one of those.  (Or, if you prefer, it's "do what I say.")  It provides strong legitimacy to all the wild election-fraud claims;  "it's no longer a single Trump supporter, it's 17 states!!!!  How can that not be real!!! "  

And yes, IMO it lays bare that there's a deep fracture in this country, that feels like it's leading to passive secession...secession through selective enforcement or half-hearted, reluctant compliance *as an active policy* rather than a passive one.

1 hour ago, unclevlad said:

And yes, IMO it lays bare that there's a deep fracture in this country, that feels like it's leading to passive secession...secession through selective enforcement or half-hearted, reluctant compliance *as an active policy* rather than a passive one.

Since covid, we've been essentially at a Cold Civil War.

12 minutes ago, TrickstaPriest said:

Since covid, we've been essentially at a Cold Civil War.

Could also be argued that this, like the extensive bankruptcy actions by long-struggling retail brands/stores, is more of an accelerant to processes that have been ongoing.  The rural-urban divide's been there for some time.  This last year's just made things much more stark.

22 minutes ago, csyphrett said:

Trump just dropped to being worse than Buchanan now, and his party needs to go.

CES   

Perhaps the simplest description of the difference between the two is...Buchanan turned away from the Party...Reform in 2000, then independent...whereas Trump turned the Party his way.

I think I've said that I think Trump is a great candidate to replace Brutus in Cocytus;  he passed Buchanan by a LONG time ago, for me.

(go read yer Dante, you unlettered heathens..................)

<ducks out the side entrance....>

3 hours ago, Cygnia said:

Our Attorney General signed off on this.

Our Republican Governor and Governor-Elect called him out on it: “Just as we would not want other states challenging Utah’s election results, we do not think we should intervene in other states’ elections. Candidates who wish to challenge election results have access to the courts without our involvement. This is an unwise use of taxpayers’ money”.

3 hours ago, unclevlad said:

On the other hand, what's so scary is the states trying to back it.  Because they aren't going to do that if they fear a political backlash...and that means, they must feel they've got widespread voter support in their states.

On the contrary, they do fear a political backlash... from Trump supporters.  Turns out death threats work pretty well.

2 hours ago, csyphrett said:

The guys in Ohio are like Shut up Texas. You don't tell us what to do. Pennsylvania basically said that Texas is a stupid idiot and a rebel for filing this stupid crap, and they need to be put down.

Trump just dropped to being worse than Buchanan now, and his party needs to go.

CES   

I hate being stuck in OH :(

7 minutes ago, Pariah said:

Or you could cross the border and have a proper drink, Kentucky bourbon.

Or maybe a mint julep, if you're into that kind of thing.

Not this time of year.

But one could simply partake of a proper egg nog, with one's choice of Kentucky or Tennessee....certainly seasonally appropriate.

And whiskey makes a quite decent addition to a weighty type of hot chocolate...more half and half than milk, or close to equal parts cream and milk, and a bit extra cocoa powder so the kick doesn't cut the richness.  For that matter...peppermint schnappes.....