Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

Twitter has locked Trump's account, and removed three tweets, including a video of Trump. Facebook and Youtube have also removed the video.

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/social-media/facebook-youtube-twitter-remove-video-trump-amid-chaos-capitol-n1253157

Twitter removed three tweets from the account of President Donald Trump on Wednesday and suspended his account for 12 hours after he continued to push conspiracy theories about the election after a mob stormed the U.S. Capitol.

The company also warned that further violations of its rules "will result in permanent suspension" of Trump's Twitter account.

3 minutes ago, tkdguy said:

I think you're right. I'm having a few personal issues exacerbating my anger at this situation. But I do think Giuliani and company should be held accountable for their role in all this.

Believe me, we hear you.  You aren't the first on this thread, and I suspect many of us sympathize.  

Several of his lawyers should face disbarment.  This absolutely includes Giuliani, and the woman on the Georgia phone call...she's already gone from her firm, in part because that firm told its people to stay out of the election dispute.    I'm also not giving Pence or McConnell *that* much credit for finally saying no;  it's way too late for it.  But their comeuppance has to be through the political process.

10 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

I'm also not giving Pence or McConnell *that* much credit for finally saying no;  it's way too late for it.  But their comeuppance has to be through the political process.

Saying "yes" at this point would be more of a political detriment to them than a benefit. I'm confident if the reverse was true they'd reverse.

15 minutes ago, Ternaugh said:

Twitter has locked Trump's account, and removed three tweets, including a video of Trump. Facebook and Youtube have also removed the video.

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/social-media/facebook-youtube-twitter-remove-video-trump-amid-chaos-capitol-n1253157

Trump must be apoplectic. But perhaps this will drive home to him that the impunity granted by his office is effectively gone.

Conservative sites seem torn between cheering the rioters and claiming it was an antifa false flag operation.

One guy they were claiming to have pics of at antifa events was the painted weirdo in the buffalo hat. He is definitely a Trumpist QAnon type

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/politics/arizona/2021/01/06/arizona-qanon-supporter-jake-angeli-joins-storming-u-s-capitol/6568513002/

The Senate is back in session.

Right now, tho, numerous Senators on both sides are having their say.  That was a given, and it is completely in the tradition of the Senate.  Can't complain about it, but some of em are going overboard.  Oh well, that's not new either.  This'll go on for a while.  Particularly if there's a motion to cl

ose debate and have a vote on the Arizona claim soon, and if any other claims get quashed as seems to be likely now.

And here's an interesting thought.  If these objections have been cut off at the knee by the protests, for the Congressmen who had planned to object but who withdraw their objection...one can expect there may be a fair number of abstentions if not outright reversals of votes...the hard-core Trump sympathizers might...no, not might, *will*...feel totally betrayed, and their anger will not go away.  

EDIT:  from CNN, this should not really surprise anyone...

President Trump, who has proven over the past year to be eager to deploy the National Guard when violence breaks out, initially resisted doing so on Capitol Hill today as a mob of his supporters breached the building, according to a source familiar.

Vice President Mike Pence was on the phone with Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Gen. Mark Milley, according to another source, and encouraged a much quicker deployment of the National Guard to the Capitol to help quell the rioters who were breaking through security barriers and overwhelming Capitol Police.

However, the source notes, Pence does not have authority over the National Guard.

As reported earlier, a White House adviser said some aides around Trump were furious that the President didn't do more to stop the insurrection at the Capitol. The adviser said aides have been all but begging Trump to come out and make a statement to begin to calm the situation.

A White House official said aides to the President went to Trump to have him make the order to deploy the national guard to the US Capitol. The official said aides also asked that Trump record a video calling for an end to the siege on the Hill.

A source familiar with the situation said White House staffers are "horrified" by the violence at the Capitol and are worried there will be more trouble on the streets tonight.

"He doesn't want to" to do more than what he is doing right now, the adviser said.

"If we could throw him to the angry mob, we'd throw him to the angry mob now," the adviser said.

Former defense secretary says assault on US Capitol "was fomented by Mr. Trump"

From CNN's Barbara Starr

In this April 23, 2017 file photos, James Mattis listens to a question during a news conference at Camp Lemonnier on April 23, 2017 in Ambouli, Djibouti. In this April 23, 2017 file photos, James Mattis listens to a question during a news conference at Camp Lemonnier on April 23, 2017 in Ambouli, Djibouti. Jonathan Ernst-Pool/Getty Images

President Trump’s first Secretary of Defense James Mattis called the riots in Washington, DC, today a "violent assault on our Capitol, an effort to subjugate American democracy by mob rule" and said it "was fomented by Mr. Trump.” 

Mattis said Trump has used “the Presidency to destroy trust in our election and to poison our respect for fellow citizens has been enabled by pseudo-political leaders whose names will live in infamy as profiles in cowardice.”

1 hour ago, unclevlad said:

And Fox is now interviewing a woman who helped organize the early event, that wasn't violent.  She decries the violence...but then continues to assert the election was stolen.  That is perhaps the enduring, deep poison of the Trump years.

Ngl, if she and people like her continue to boycott elections, I'm pretty okay with that.

30 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

The Senate is back in session.

Right now, tho, numerous Senators on both sides are having their say.  That was a given, and it is completely in the tradition of the Senate.  Can't complain about it, but some of em are going overboard.  Oh well, that's not new either.  This'll go on for a while.  Particularly if there's a motion to cl

ose debate and have a vote on the Arizona claim soon, and if any other claims get quashed as seems to be likely now.

And here's an interesting thought.  If these objections have been cut off at the knee by the protests, for the Congressmen who had planned to object but who withdraw their objection...one can expect there may be a fair number of abstentions if not outright reversals of votes...the hard-core Trump sympathizers might...no, not might, *will*...feel totally betrayed, and their anger will not go away.  

EDIT:  from CNN, this should not really surprise anyone...

I was puttering around the kitchen and was listening to the Senate as it went back into session talking about the challenge to the Arizona electors.

I don't really know many Representatives by their face but one of them was giving a really good speech. At the end of his time, I rewound: it was Ben Sasse.

If you want to hear a somewhat sappy speech about the need to come together, I'd recommend seeing it if you can find his speech. Sounded almost presidential.

2 minutes ago, archer said:

I was puttering around the kitchen and was listening to the Senate as it went back into session talking about the challenge to the Arizona electors.

I don't really know many Representatives by their face but one of them was giving a really good speech. At the end of his time, I rewound: it was Ben Sasse.

If you want to hear a somewhat sappy speech about the need to come together, I'd recommend seeing it if you can find his speech. Sounded almost presidential.

I've been blithering around with CNN on;  actually just put dinner into the oven.  I heard Sasse's speech, it was good.  But Sasse was never in favor of these objections, IIRC.

1 minute ago, unclevlad said:

I've been blithering around with CNN on;  actually just put dinner into the oven.  I heard Sasse's speech, it was good.  But Sasse was never in favor of these objections, IIRC.

No, he was never even close to being in favor of the objections.

To his credit.

Additional resignations

social secretary for the White House (I didn't catch the name)

White House deputy press secretary Sarah Mathews

Several other, higher level, White House officials are said to be considering resigning today. Including a couple of national security advisors and the Secretary of Education.

If we're starting to get cabinet secretaries into the mix, it isn't out of the question for the 25th amendment to be in play.

Oh, and Senator Loeffler withdrew her objection to the Georgia electoral results.

Word on CNN:  some Cabinet members *are* starting to talk about the 25th amendment, probably with grounds of mental instability, on which we've commented extensively.

BUT...they talked about the process.  It takes a 2/3 vote of each house as well.  In the House?  I think it's possible, I really do.  In the Senate...?  Seems unlikely before Inauguration Day, but after today, I can't say inconceivable.  It's by no means clear that McConnell would quash it unilaterally.

I will have to check Trump's approval ratings as this ripples through polls.  If this doesn't crash it, nothing will.

If you liked McConnell's speech, you should LOVE!!!!! Graham's.  It is beautiful.  "I disagree with the rulings (about the election laws) but I accept them."  And "It is OVER."  And last:  "Joe Biden is the elected President."

OH BOY...debate just closed.  Roll call now being called!!!!!!

12 minutes ago, archer said:

Several other, higher level, White House officials are said to be considering resigning today. Including a couple of national security advisors and the Secretary of Education.

No.

Don't.

Don't you dare tell me that Betsy DeVos is on the way out unless you mean it.

13 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

Word on CNN:  some Cabinet members *are* starting to talk about the 25th amendment, probably with grounds of mental instability, on which we've commented extensively.

BUT...they talked about the process.  It takes a 2/3 vote of each house as well.  In the House?  I think it's possible, I really do.  In the Senate...?  Seems unlikely before Inauguration Day, but after today, I can't say inconceivable.  It's by no means clear that McConnell would quash it unilaterally.

That's not exactly how it works.

The VP and the cabinet can remove the president and he's gone immediately.

The former president can object to that. If he does so, the new president and the cabinet has to, within four days, contact the head of the House and Senate stating that the former president is incapacitated.

+4 days

The House and Senate then have to convene within two days to start considering the matter.

+2 days

Then within 21 days, the House and the Senate have to vote on the matter and there's the 2/3rds requirement.

+21 days

So they could remove him by the 25th Amendment then Pelosi could easily stall the vote in the House until Trump's term in office would have been over anyway.

51 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

I will have to check Trump's approval ratings as this ripples through polls.  If this doesn't crash it, nothing will.

If you liked McConnell's speech, you should LOVE!!!!! Graham's.  It is beautiful.  "I disagree with the rulings (about the election laws) but I accept them."  And "It is OVER."  And last:  "Joe Biden is the elected President."

OH BOY...debate just closed.  Roll call now being called!!!!!!

Lindsay Graham has long shown himself to be a political lamprey, so this definitely settles who the biggest shark in the Republican pond is now.

2 minutes ago, Old Man said:

He could, but why would he?  He doesn’t need to buy his underlings’ silence the way Trump does. 

Knowing Trump's appointees, it might be the price he pays to get them to push Twitler out of office.

Edit to clarify:  They'd probably ask up front -- "Pardon me, and we'll go along with this."

Camelot time...

I wonder what the king is doing tonight?
What merriment is the king pursuing tonight?
The candles at the court, they never burned as bright
I wonder what the king is upto tonight?

It's not candles, it's a bonfire as the House of Trump burns down.

Trump.  The Anti-Arthur....