Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

2 hours ago, TrickstaPriest said:

And in Trump's speech he essentially set himself up for a 2024 election run.

Because he literally is maximizing damage to everything and everyone.

I still think things are going to get worse over the next two weeks.  I don't think he can actually help himself.

Even if so, how do you all think the next election cycle will go?  For someone who literally caused a coup?

It depends largely on how many of his campaign staff, family members and of course him end up behind bars and for how long...

9 hours ago, archer said:

<SNIP>

... to rehabilitate himself in the eyes of the general public.

<SNIP>

9 hours ago, unclevlad said:

<SNIP>

Last point:  does anyone think Trump will clean up his social media act meaningfully?

<SNIP?

Neither of these will ever happen. T**** does not have the ability to change that much. It's in his DNA.

29 minutes ago, aylwin13 said:

Neither of these will ever happen. T**** does not have the ability to change that much. It's in his DNA.

You know, you can get around that language filter by putting a dash in his name.

Sometimes I just pretend that T-Rump is his real name, like T-Rex.

T-Rump, the last of the orange dinosaurs.

Just now, death tribble said:

If Trump was removed prior to the 20th January, would that make Pence the 46th President and then Biden would be 47th ?

Just thinking out loud.

Yeah.

But if we could then get Pence to resign and the next couple of ones resign, then Biden could be the 50th.

11 minutes ago, archer said:

You know, you can get around that language filter by putting a dash in his name.

Sometimes I just pretend that T-Rump is his real name, like T-Rex.

T-Rump, the last of the orange dinosaurs.

I just don't want to type out that word/name. And in my head, I read/hear it as tRump anyway.  :) 

2 hours ago, Old Man said:

Uh... what do you mean, “again”?

It's another day, another lecture (first class day was Wednesday).  What I had last term was lab classes, not lectures, and while I teach physics in those the method and content are different.  I tend not to think of it in the same category.  And, the last day of classes in the fall was about Nov 15, and the intransigence of the defeated at that time was not quite so obviously beyond the pale as it was on Wednesday.

An aspect of this that I haven't seen discussed is the impact on Americans abroad.  I have a hard time imagining what the reaction would be among the US forces in South Korea, Germany, etc., and even harder to imagine the combat deployments in southern Asia.  And I say that as someone who remembers first-hand (admittedly as a child) the event and reaction in West Berlin when JFK was assassinated in 1963.

15 hours ago, TrickstaPriest said:

And in Trump's speech he essentially set himself up for a 2024 election run.

Because he literally is maximizing damage to everything and everyone.

I still think things are going to get worse over the next two weeks.  I don't think he can actually help himself.

Even if so, how do you all think the next election cycle will go?  For someone who literally caused a coup?

Right now Pelosi, Schumer, and a large number of other Democrat legislators are organizing to impeach Trump again. If that passes the House and Senate -- and the latter is not impossible given the present composition of the upper chamber, and the mood of many Republicans -- Trump would be barred from ever again holding public office.

6 hours ago, Starlord said:

Anyone see a resemblance?

spacer.png

There was a lot more to Jack Kirby than just pretty pictures.

I'm beginning to think it *possible* that Trump resigns, but I can't be any more definite than that.  Everything we believe about him says it can't happen but the pressures from all over, including places like the Wall St Journal, might mean he does.  And Trump has said, he's not going to the inauguration.  Just as well.  The best case right now would be for Trump to resign and slither out.  I think Biden could shake hands with Pence...maybe not the most cordial handshake ever but not the worst.  Not with Trump.  

Also...I don't know flag protocol details but if you fly a flag, I'd think it appropriate to fly it at half mast today.  A Capitol police officer died today from injuries suffered Wednesday.  

5 minutes ago, Hermit said:

2 years is not that long.  These comments will be brought back up against her in the primary election in 2022, and if she survives that, they'll be blasted across the airwaves during the general election.  But I suspect she won't get past the primary.  Oh heck...my brain needs more coffee clearly.  Connection took a while.  No violence, huh?  Tell that to the family of the Capitol Police officer who just died!!!!!!!!!!  DAMN YOU, Ms Weaver!!!

NYT routinely does a roundup of the late-night talk show comics.  There are a great number of excellent lines from Wednesday night.  This one is, I think, worth repeating here:

"And the wildest part is these MAGA marchers think Donald Trump cares about them. He doesn’t care about you. He doesn’t care about your wife or your job or your health care or the air you breathe, the water you drink. He cares about himself. And only about himself. Unless you were pushing a lawn mower, he wouldn’t let you into his golf club. He’d roll his limo right over you to get a Chick-fil-A sandwich.” — JIMMY KIMMEL

3 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

"And the wildest part is these MAGA marchers think Donald Trump cares about them. He doesn’t care about you. He doesn’t care about your wife or your job or your health care or the air you breathe, the water you drink. He cares about himself. And only about himself. Unless you were pushing a lawn mower, he wouldn’t let you into his golf club. He’d roll his limo right over you to get a Chick-fil-A sandwich.” — JIMMY KIMMEL

DJT sent them at armed guards at Capitol Hill, either anticipating there wouldn't be sufficient protection for congress (!) or expecting there was, meaning he was expecting his supporters might get shot at.

Which puts it into perspective when he said, or started to say "I'll be there with you!" and then never showed up

I WONDER WHY

It might be thin, cheap plate in the overall scheme of things, but there is a silver lining here.

There is no way Trump is in office on the 21st.  I would also say that there are few areas where he can probably do serious damage in the time left...pardons would be an exception here.  Things like oil leases might be another.  Figure he's got plenty of pro-development people entrenched so, even if they don't believe in him, want the same thing.  But that should be a much smaller subset.