Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

4 minutes ago, TrickstaPriest said:

And in Trump's speech he essentially set himself up for a 2024 election run.

Because he literally is maximizing damage to everything and everyone.

I still think things are going to get worse over the next two weeks.  I don't think he can actually help himself.

Even if so, how do you all think the next election cycle will go?  For someone who literally caused a coup?

Way too early to say.

People tend to have a really short political memory.

Democrats distanced themselves from Bill Clinton himself at the end of Clinton's presidency.

A few years later, he was a hero of the party again.

A decade later, he's looked back on by the general public as being an American statesman.

My instincts are that it won't go well for Trump. He's always been more of a huckster than a statesman so I think it will be very difficult to rehabilitate himself in the eyes of the general public.

But there's 4 years between now and then. All the states could choose to have closed primaries so that only self-identified Republicans can vote in any of the Republican primaries. If they do that, Trump could have an excellent chance of winning the nomination again. All he'd need to do is show up and lean on a podium and his faithful will love him.

But if the rules stay the same or become even more open to non-Republicans voting in the Republican primaries, Trump could have problems.

And a lot depends on who else is running. There's at least a couple of Trump clones who are wanting to run. There's a couple of people who were in the Trump administration who want to run. And there's going to be inevitably at least one virulently anti-Trump candidate who runs.

Trump might intimidate people who are wanting to run in his lane into dropping out. Or he might wind up running against a couple of Trump clones and multiple former Trump administration officials and the pro-Trump vote could splinter five ways.

I think all of this has definitely weakened Trump's chances. It hasn't made him look strong and that'll encourage the Trump clones into trying to grab the reins of the Trumpian movement.

• Replies 16.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Meanwhile over Mar-a Lago:  

I feel this needs to be shared.  

Posted Images

Schumer announced intent to can the Senate sergeant at arms.  It's something of a Majority Leader privilege position in any case.  And ya gotta concede that it'd be kind of hard to have confidence in them.

I think there's going to be a bumper crop of "Trump tell-all" books this summer by a whole lot of those he's betrayed.  To a degree, ok, there's still going to be a core element that will never waver, but I'm talking a herd's worth of cow manure is gonna be dumped on him, and from too many sides, so most of his support will disappear.

That's also assuming there isn't an impeachment effort come February or so.  Get another coronavirus relief bill passed;  get agreement on virus distribution plans and get those in place.  Then impeach.  It also assumes that even without impeachment, what criminal charges might be filed, up to and including seditious conspiracy?  All the fraud and tax evasion charges?  

And I can see particularly Hawley capitalizing should Trump fall from grace.  Cruz might be a bit too connected, but Hawley can maybe pick up the "I'm with you, I hear you;  Trump was flawed but his heart was right for us."  And sell it.  Hawley MIGHT end up being more dangerous because we've already seen his lack of scruples is on par with Trump, but he probably doesn't have Trump's major flaws.

Last point:  does anyone think Trump will clean up his social media act meaningfully?  So he will probably be blocked on all the major platforms.

2 hours ago, TrickstaPriest said:

I still think things are going to get worse over the next two weeks.  I don't think he can actually help himself.

Even if so, how do you all think the next election cycle will go?  For someone who literally caused a coup?

It depends largely on how many of his campaign staff, family members and of course him end up behind bars and for how long...

9 hours ago, archer said:

<SNIP>

... to rehabilitate himself in the eyes of the general public.

<SNIP>

9 hours ago, unclevlad said:

<SNIP>

Last point:  does anyone think Trump will clean up his social media act meaningfully?

<SNIP?

Neither of these will ever happen. T**** does not have the ability to change that much. It's in his DNA.

29 minutes ago, aylwin13 said:

Neither of these will ever happen. T**** does not have the ability to change that much. It's in his DNA.

You know, you can get around that language filter by putting a dash in his name.

Sometimes I just pretend that T-Rump is his real name, like T-Rex.

T-Rump, the last of the orange dinosaurs.

Just now, death tribble said:

If Trump was removed prior to the 20th January, would that make Pence the 46th President and then Biden would be 47th ?

Just thinking out loud.

Yeah.

But if we could then get Pence to resign and the next couple of ones resign, then Biden could be the 50th.

11 minutes ago, archer said:

You know, you can get around that language filter by putting a dash in his name.

Sometimes I just pretend that T-Rump is his real name, like T-Rex.

T-Rump, the last of the orange dinosaurs.

I just don't want to type out that word/name. And in my head, I read/hear it as tRump anyway.  :) 

11 hours ago, Cancer said:

If it were up to me, the only safe place on Earth for him would be in the land already run the way he likes it, and that's North Korea.

Ship him off to North Sentinel Island -- the natives there know how to deal with the problem.

2 hours ago, Old Man said:

Uh... what do you mean, “again”?

It's another day, another lecture (first class day was Wednesday).  What I had last term was lab classes, not lectures, and while I teach physics in those the method and content are different.  I tend not to think of it in the same category.  And, the last day of classes in the fall was about Nov 15, and the intransigence of the defeated at that time was not quite so obviously beyond the pale as it was on Wednesday.

An aspect of this that I haven't seen discussed is the impact on Americans abroad.  I have a hard time imagining what the reaction would be among the US forces in South Korea, Germany, etc., and even harder to imagine the combat deployments in southern Asia.  And I say that as someone who remembers first-hand (admittedly as a child) the event and reaction in West Berlin when JFK was assassinated in 1963.

15 hours ago, TrickstaPriest said:

Right now Pelosi, Schumer, and a large number of other Democrat legislators are organizing to impeach Trump again. If that passes the House and Senate -- and the latter is not impossible given the present composition of the upper chamber, and the mood of many Republicans -- Trump would be barred from ever again holding public office.

6 hours ago, Starlord said:

Anyone see a resemblance?

spacer.png

There was a lot more to Jack Kirby than just pretty pictures.

I'm beginning to think it *possible* that Trump resigns, but I can't be any more definite than that.  Everything we believe about him says it can't happen but the pressures from all over, including places like the Wall St Journal, might mean he does.  And Trump has said, he's not going to the inauguration.  Just as well.  The best case right now would be for Trump to resign and slither out.  I think Biden could shake hands with Pence...maybe not the most cordial handshake ever but not the worst.  Not with Trump.  

Also...I don't know flag protocol details but if you fly a flag, I'd think it appropriate to fly it at half mast today.  A Capitol police officer died today from injuries suffered Wednesday.