Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

6 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

Second Iraq War, perhaps, but the Afghan War was forced on him by 9/11...as was much of the Patriot Act.  Even the 2nd Iraq War had *some* justification.  I didn't like Jr, don't get me wrong, but....

No. He wanted a continuation of his Daddy's feud with Saddam, plain and simple. The majority of the September 11th 2001 terrorists came from Saudi Arabia, but that fact was conveniently glossed over at the time. Bush Jr and his inner circle are war criminals that deserve nothing less than spending the rest of their lives in prison.

24 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

Second Iraq War, perhaps, but the Afghan War was forced on him by 9/11...as was much of the Patriot Act.  Even the 2nd Iraq War had *some* justification.  I didn't like Jr, don't get me wrong, but....

Trump incited a movement that has a strong chance to turn into a full-on domestic terrorism movement.  He targeted the core principles of democracy throughout.  His irresponsible dismissal of the coronavirus from the start has probably cost a good 100,000 lives.  The aftermath of his actions will extend DECADES...admittedly, in part because the roots have been there, but he's responsible for feeding, watering, and transplanting all the noxious weeds to make sure they flourish.

Trump is not merely the worst President;  he will go down as one of the worst freely chosen leaders ever.  He's not #1;  that's Hitler, hopefully forever;  that is, of course, Hitler.  For US Presidents, IMO he adjusted the scale, the gap between him and anyone else is that big.

Yes.

Geez, the Patriot Act was beyond terrible but dumping that solely on Bush's doorstep is < insert-polite-term-of-incredulity >.

Russ Feingold was the only Senator to vote against it. And the list of Democrats voting for it is like a Who's Who of the 21st century Democrat party including Feinstein, Schumer, Daschel, Sarbanes, Leahy, Biden, Pelosi, etc.

https://educate-yourself.org/cn/patriotact20012006senatevote.shtml

32 minutes ago, Pattern Ghost said:

Well, I think Death Tribble would be an OK president, though I would hesitate to give him the launch codes . . .

In the run-up to the 2016 election, I think after the Trump-Hillary debates had started, there was a national poll which included a question about who you would trust with the nuclear codes.

I forget the exact percentage but something like 11% of people who indicated that they were planning on voting for Trump, in the very same poll, said that they didn't trust him with the nuclear codes.

This wasn't two different groups of people, or even the same people on different days. Same people, same day, same poll.

I got a lot of mileage out of that poll.

Obviously, not trusting someone with the launch codes is a completely different matter than trusting someone to be president.

So all hail our furry, soothing ball of presidential death!

Not sure if I believe this but the story is making the rounds that a newly-elected Republican representative says that a number of his colleagues who voted to decertify the election only did so because they were in fear for their lives "or had legitimate concerns about the safety of their families. They felt that that vote would put their families in danger".

https://reason.com/2021/01/08/amash-successor-peter-meijer-trumps-deceptions-are-rankly-unfit/

1 hour ago, Ragitsu said:

No. He wanted a continuation of his Daddy's feud with Saddam, plain and simple. The majority of the September 11th 2001 terrorists came from Saudi Arabia, but that fact was conveniently glossed over at the time. Bush Jr and his inner circle are war criminals that deserve nothing less than spending the rest of their lives in prison.

They are not war criminals because they committed no crimes. They declared war and they did it. I understand what you are saying but objectively you are wrong. it's the same as someone saying the world is flat

CES 

2 hours ago, archer said:

Now as far as the bear spray, pepper spray, tear gas, two way radios with earpieces, zip ties, and guns go: for many people that qualifies as a list of random items which people keep within arms reach of their computer rather than unusual gear.

I do research as a hobby. 

One of the things I've researched is survivalist and prepper culture (I've likely had conversations with at least some of the rioters.)

How about pipe bombs?  Does your average prepper have a couple of those laying around?

It's not particularly controversial to say military or ex military or cops or ex cops were there.  That becomes a statistical probability with so many there in a party that largely has them involved.

It's a matter of whether they were on the 'front lines' or not.  And whether they will continue back home, and then try this again...

How many serial killers were cops/ex cops?  How many murders did they have?

How many will try to continue their cause after this?

I remember we posted about a group caught somewhere in Europe planning on rounding people up, executing them, and destroying the bodies with acid baths.

We are going to see stuff happening in this country.  It's going to be pretty bad no matter what.  😕  The only saving grace is also the curse - we have a lot of federal government investigative power... as long as the federal government deems its worthy to do so.

16 hours ago, Ranxerox said:

How about pipe bombs?  Does your average prepper have a couple of those laying around?

Most of them who expressed an opinion and who served in the military claimed to have enough knowledge to make improvised explosives.

Since actually making them is a crime, people wouldn't express an opinion on whether they'd already done it. And would have been penalized by a moderator and had the post erased if they talked about it.

Several were vocal in saying that if the world as we know it ended, they planned on using IED's to help protect their property (primarily due to the fact that you have to sleep sometime).

Some said they'd post signage to warn people while others explicitly said they wouldn't. 

I advocated that they instead plant tame blackberries to protect their perimeter. The vines without encouragement will grow 8-10 feet deep and about 8 feet tall. Each vine is 2-3 inches thick at it's base. The tangle of them would be thick enough to be a serious impediment to driving a truck through it unless the truck built up a hell of a lot of momentum first. There's literally not any way for a person on foot to move through the area without maybe 20-30 minutes of cutting and making a heck of a lot of noise.

Anyway, I got the impression from "the manner in which a few people chose to not talk about whether they'd already made IED's" that they'd already made IED's.

Since you asked.

What percentage of the rioters brought a pipe bomb?

9 minutes ago, archer said:

I advocated that they instead plant tame blackberries to protect their perimeter. The vines without encouragement will grow 8-10 feet deep and about 8 feet tall. Each vine is 2-3 inches thick at it's base. The tangle of them would be thick enough to be a serious impediment to driving a truck through it unless the truck built up a hell of a lot of momentum first. There's literally not any way for a person on foot to move through the area without maybe 20-30 minutes of cutting and making a heck of a lot of noise.

This is interesting and pretty pragmatic

I will try to be less alarmist.  I strongly suspect the FBI will have their hands full for years with this though.

2 minutes ago, TrickstaPriest said:

This is interesting and pretty pragmatic

I will try to be less alarmist.  I strongly suspect the FBI will have their hands full for years with this though.

Probably a boon to the area as well. If you plant even a few acres around the perimeter of your property, you're going to grow more berries than you could possibly harvest yourself, even if you devoted full time to it. That's good for hungry neighbors, hungry passersby, and for bees and other wildlife in the area.

And it's a heck of a lot more healthy for people than blowing each other up with IED's or shooting trespassers.

I don't personally have a problem with gun ownership but I have a heck of a problem with people shooting each other...which might sound odd but I'll admit to be odd on occasion.

As for the FBI, hopefully they'll arrest and prosecute enough of them quickly enough that the FBI won't have their hands full for years. But I'm usually pessimistic when it comes to the rate of prosecution, whether people will stay in jail while waiting to be prosecuted, and how many other convicts the fanatics will convert while they're being jailed.

2 hours ago, csyphrett said:

They are not war criminals because they committed no crimes. They declared war and they did it. I understand what you are saying but objectively you are wrong. it's the same as someone saying the world is flat

W started a war under false pretenses and openly supported a program of torture and indefinite incarceration without trial.  These are war crimes for which he has been convicted in international court.

For what it's worth, I agree with Ragitsu that W still holds the WPE title belt, but only because I never considered Trump a legitimate POTUS.

24 minutes ago, Old Man said:

W started a war under false pretenses and openly supported a program of torture and indefinite incarceration without trial.  These are war crimes for which he has been convicted in international court.

Let's just be clear: said conviction was by the Kuala Lumpur War Crimes Commission/Tribunal, established in 2007 in Malaysia by its former prime minister to unilaterally investigate alleged war crimes by any nation or party. This commission has no connection to the International Criminal Court and isn't recognized by the United Nations, and its verdicts have no standing under international law, being purely symbolic.

I do believe that W truly thinks he acted for the greater good, and genuinely wanted to make life better for people in America and elsewhere in the world. I don't consider him an evil man, but he is an unexceptional man, having taken on a responsibility that was beyond his capacity.

We do need to keep the discourse civil and rational to avoid drawing the Wrath of Dan. :fear:

2 minutes ago, archer said:

j/k

Why are liberal politics so confusing?

In liberal politics, left is right and right is wrong. But since the left is right and what is right is wrong then the left would seem to be as wrong as it is right.

To me it just keeps going back and forth until you can't tell up from down. I think the whole thing is sideways.