Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

8 minutes ago, archer said:

A flying saucer landed in my backyard and little green men came out. They demanded, "TAKE US TO YOUR LEADER".

What the hell am I supposed to tell them? That we won't have a leader until January 20th?

I'd take them to Dolly Parton.  Tom Hanks maybe.

Meanwhile, here is the best analysis of the coup attempt I've seen so far.  I can't stand the Twitter format--you have to keep clicking "Show Replies"--but it goes over both the planning and execution:

Let’s talk about the organization of the coup first. Seeing some people insist that the coup must have been highly planned and coordinated. Yes and no. This was a #StochasticCoup. We’ll see little evidence of direct communication between Trump and the insurrectionists.
(...)
How can you look at these videos and not conclude that the police, not just the Capitol police but any police on the scene, received a stand down or minimal force order of some sort? We’re looking at the greatest Capitol security breach since 1814 and police barely responded.

Honest question looking for an honest answer.

There's a big chance there's going to be more violent protests in DC right before the Inauguration. There's a big chance there's going to be violent protests during the Inauguration.

So it'd be a hell of a lot safer for Biden and everyone else involved if the Inauguration took place indoors due to the violence and with a very small number of people due to COVID.

Keeping in mind that Biden can't announce any plans or have any plans leak that he's making contingency plans to get sworn in elsewhere without the fringe kooks spinning that into a preemptive victory...where would be a good place for the contingency plan?

Capitol Building would be a nice visual but the President coming inside without being invited is kind of one of those "not on my turf" kind of things. There'd be no way of keeping House and Senate members and staffers from knowing the alternate plans which make keeping it secret next to impossible. The Capitol building (obviously) has a lot of entrances to defend. And the president would still be stuck traveling through potentially violent crowds.

Supreme Court building would be historic. There's less staff to leak things. I believe it already has TV broadcast capability. Fewer entrances. And the president would still be stuck traveling through potentially violent crowds. The rioters probably wouldn't know to start out at the Supreme Court building which might give defense a slight edge.

White House would be easiest in terms of travel time. But there's no way to prepare anything in advance because Trump's people would neither cooperate nor keep it quiet that it was happening. And there'd be similar problems with planning anything in any place controlled by the executive branch like the Treasury Building.

If there is violence, the best we could hope for would be a nice dignified-looking room in Washington that looks historically significant and TV coverage.

Any other ideas?

I'm kind of assuming a place which we wouldn't want to get trashed like the Library of Congress. (In a pinch, the Supreme Court could meet anywhere. But if someone burns the Library of Congress down, the contents are gone.)

7 hours ago, archer said:

zip ties

At least one photo showed someone with flexi-cuffs. Those are far from simple zip ties. They're purpose made restraints, with one loop for each wrist, extremely heavy-duty and reinforced with wire. Not really prepper gear, unless your preparations include taking prisoners.

25 minutes ago, archer said:

Any other ideas?

I'm kind of assuming a place which we wouldn't want to get trashed like the Library of Congress. (In a pinch, the Supreme Court could meet anywhere. But if someone burns the Library of Congress down, the contents are gone.)

How about the Washington National Cathedral? Let's see if the avowed Religious Right is willing to be seen damaging the most symbolic church in America.

27 minutes ago, Pattern Ghost said:

At least one photo showed someone with flexi-cuffs. Those are far from simple zip ties. They're purpose made restraints, with one loop for each wrist, extremely heavy-duty and reinforced with wire. Not really prepper gear, unless your preparations include taking prisoners.

Yes, this is exactly prepper gear. I specifically talked about the use of zip ties which people get as preps for securing prisoners.

It's available for purchase on Amazon. 

https://www.amazon.com/Toughness-Tensile-Strength-Handcuffs-Resistant/dp/B07YQQJ7WX/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=flexi-cuffs&qid=1610354306&sr=8-2&th=1

Top reviews from the United States

Reviewed in the United States on August 17, 2020
Color: BlackVerified Purchase
You know why you're buying these. They work, could also double as tools to dispose of the rich. But mostly you know why you're buying these. And they work. Cheaper quality than asps but they are good to go.
6 people found this helpful

15 minutes ago, Pattern Ghost said:

Uh, just do it in the usual spot. If the insurrectionists show up, deal with them. Flamethrowers come to mind, but if you prefer a less toasty approach, you could also go with tear gas, LRAD (sonics), and water cannons.

I'm kind of assuming that Biden isn't going to want his Inauguration to look like it's happening in a war zone. If you show up with enough troops and use enough force (bullets, rubber bullets, the Force, etc.), you're going to "win".

Somehow, it doesn't seem to be Biden's style. And probably not a way to rocket off to a good start on public perception.

Though I sympathize, at least to an extent, with your sentiments. ;) 

1 minute ago, Pattern Ghost said:

No, that's nutjob militia gear.

Same list of reviews from the same link as earlier.

Reviewed in the United States on September 3, 2020

Keep them close to my room door incase something happens.
I also keep one in every room!

Reviewed in the United States on September 22, 2020
Good product for a reasonable price. Will be handy to have ifvever needed.

Reviewed in the United States on January 5, 2021
Luckily I have not had to use them. They are made from a sturdy plastic and I feel confident they will work as designed.

Feel free to look up the products on your own and read the reviews.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/public-safety/liebengood-capitol-police-death/2021/01/10/3a495b84-5357-11eb-a08b-f1381ef3d207_story.html

So a second USCP officer is dead, this time, it seems, at his own hands. 

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/us-capitol-police-name-acting-chief-after-riot/2536419/

The previous USCP chief has resigned his post and a replacement appointed. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/10/us/politics/after-refusing-to-do-so-trump-orders-flags-to-be-flown-at-half-staff.html

Some time after Flags at other government buildings had been lowered to half staff to show respect for the fallen officer, 45 gives in and orders the white house flags lowered, too.

4 hours ago, archer said:

What percentage of the rioters brought a pipe bomb?

I don't think they said how many. The reports stated that the police/Federals found them in cars parked on the street. maybe they meant to use them on the doors but didn't have to since a bunch of people were already pushing in

CES

2 hours ago, Old Man said:

I'd take them to Dolly Parton.  Tom Hanks maybe.

Meanwhile, here is the best analysis of the coup attempt I've seen so far.  I can't stand the Twitter format--you have to keep clicking "Show Replies"--but it goes over both the planning and execution:

They found that the Republican Attorney Generals organization were setting things up. They may or may not find further evidence but i doubt it.

CES 

Same list of reviews from the same link as earlier.

Also dumbass Walter Mitty fantasy gear.

Feel free to look up the products on your own and read the reviews.

I'm very familiar with the product. I've put plenty of people in them. Civilians have no need of them, because civilians shouldn't be taking prisoners. Anyone wasting money on them for prepping instead of buying more useful gear has some weird ideas rattling around in their head.

37 minutes ago, Pattern Ghost said:

I'm very familiar with the product. I've put plenty of people in them. Civilians have no need of them, because civilians shouldn't be taking prisoners. Anyone wasting money on them for prepping instead of buying more useful gear has some weird ideas rattling around in their head.

But how am I going to get my victims into the pit in my basement?

8 hours ago, Pattern Ghost said:

Uh, just do it in the usual spot. If the insurrectionists show up, deal with them. Flamethrowers come to mind, but if you prefer a less toasty approach, you could also go with tear gas, LRAD (sonics), and water cannons.

So do armed drones and sniper rifles.

There's no way I'd hold it outside.  

I like the Supreme Court building because Roberts administers the oath anyway.  A symbolic choice might be the Department of Justice building.

This might be a bit of a vent...

But is anyone else sick of the "elephant" controlling the "rider".  

I am against violence, I am against double standards.  I was against the riots this summer, I am against what happened at the capital. 

BUT it REALLY annoys me that the left can and did support one group, while the president (who I find to be an ass) is held responsible for the other riots (Yes, he added fuel, but I do not feel he lit the fuse).  See my issue is NOT who to hold responsible, but that I feel that a certain standard should be applied, condemn Trump to your hearts desire, but then hold AOC, Harris, and Peloski responsible for the midsummer riots, or don't hold any of them responsible (where I honestly stand, I hold those who DID riot responsible).  On a very personal level I can't stand Trump, but I see a certain level of hypocrisy with how the left and the right behave with him in the middle of it all,  that makes me feel I have to defend the jerk.  This is not a position I like to be in.  

The problem IMO is because it is all about emotion (the perfectly reasonable HATRED of Trump), instead of fairness, justice, or truth

Vent off

12 minutes ago, JmOz said:

BUT it REALLY annoys me that the left can and did support one group, while the president (who I find to be an ass) is held responsible for the other riots (Yes, he added fuel, but I do not feel he lit the fuse).  See my issue is NOT who to hold responsible, but that I feel that a certain standard should be applied, condemn Trump to your hearts desire, but then hold AOC, Harris, and Peloski responsible for the midsummer riots, or don't hold any of them responsible (where I honestly stand, I hold those who DID riot responsible).  On a very personal level I can't stand Trump, but I see a certain level of hypocrisy with how the left and the right behave with him in the middle of it all,  that makes me feel I have to defend the jerk.  This is not a position I like to be in.  

People are emotional driven.

But it's false equivalency from a pragmatic perspective.

If the BLM riots and protests were about something like overthrowing our government to install a dictator, I might agree with you about equivalency.

If the BLM riots and protests grew worse, they'd do further damage to buildings. (edit: and yes, there would be more casualties)

If the Capitol Hill riot grew worse, much of Congress would be slaughtered and we wouldn't be in a democracy any more.

If you don't believe me, watch the "KILL THE TRAITORS" chant as they enter the building.

The comparison is the same as playing with a grenade a few times (when the bigwig leftist media is ever purely on the side of BLM, which was incredibly rare except for that one event) versus playing with a nuclear bomb (which the bigwig rightwing media pushes for, frequently)

One of those will hurt those around you.  One of those will collapse the nation.

I hold the people who actually did the deed responsible in all instances.  However, the POTUS seems to have directly incited (ie., the action of provoking unlawful behavior or urging someone to behave unlawfully) the proceedings right before they happened.  Also, there seems to be evidence that his administration also may have interfered with, or just ignored, efforts to defend the capitol.  He should bear some responsibility for that and should be punished accordingly.

16 minutes ago, Starlord said:

I hold the people who actually did the deed responsible in all instances.  However, the POTUS seems to have directly incited (ie., the action of provoking unlawful behavior or urging someone to behave unlawfully) the proceedings right before they happened.  Also, there seems to be evidence that his administration also may have interfered with, or just ignored, efforts to defend the capitol.  He should bear some responsibility for that and should be punished accordingly.

My bringing the riots up was just an example of allowing the hatred people feel towards him modify their view of his actions.  

However, having watched what he said, etc... He told people to do something constitutional (march and cheer on "Their people"), could a reasonable person see that it would lead to violence, debatable, but did he advocate for it, based on what he said, I think no.  If you can find where he told his followers to do anything outside of a constitutionally protected protest, please correct me.

Taking the BLM riots, they lasted longer, cost more in lives and property, and literally took over city blocks, while I respect your opinion that the scale could be worse, a fair argument can be made that the actual consequences were a lot worse for the BLM riots.  As for the rhetoric, we both know how EASY it would be to find BLM comments as terrible.