Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

Cumulus Media, which employs some of the most popular right-leaning talk-radio hosts in the United States, has told its on-air personalities to stop suggesting that the election was stolen from President Donald Trump - or else face termination.

"will not tolerate any suggestion that the election has not ended. The election has been resolved and there are no alternate acceptable 'paths'... The memo adds: "If you transgress this policy, you can expect to separate from the company immediately."

The biggest talk radio personalities this applies to includes Mark Levin, Ben Shapiro and Dan Bongino.

And from what I can tell, the order isn't just "quit talking about it on your radio show". So the ones like Mark Levin who also has a Fox News TV show with guests could potentially be dropped if he lets his guests ramble on about election fraud and such.

https://www.thetelegraph.com/news/article/Talk-radio-owner-orders-conservative-hosts-to-15860720.php

Felony Murder refers specifically to the fact that any deaths that occur during the commission of a felony by a conspiracy are applicable to all members of the conspiracy and not just the ones who were directly involved in the death. For example: during the commission of a bank robbery, a security guard is shot and killed. Every member of that crew is charged with Felony Murder...even the getaway driver who sat in the van out front the entire time.

7 minutes ago, BNakagawa said:

I'm not sure an acting cabinet member has a say in that matter.

It's a point that needs to be considered, along with how Trump abused the entire confirmation process by simply using acting heads.  There's no doubt in my mind that a 25th Amendment removal would've been headed to the Supreme Court.

A complementary aspect to archer's link to the Cumulus Media story:  other big corporations are stopping campaign contributions to those who voted for the election objections.  You may have heard this...it started over the weekend, but...

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/political-donations-republican-congress-electoral-certification/

The list has *grown*.

20 minutes ago, BNakagawa said:

No one does, it's uncharted territory in constitutional law.  What's to stop a corrupt POTUS from packing his cabinet with unconfirmed members?  What's to stop a corrupt cabinet from refusing to declare a POTUS incapacitated even if that POTUS is literally dead?  What's to stop a mentally ill POTUS from contesting his removal?  The 25th Amendment is worse than useless in edge cases.

21 hours ago, archer said:

I don't personally have a problem with gun ownership but I have a heck of a problem with people shooting each other...which might sound odd but I'll admit to be odd on occasion.

Makes perfect sense to me. I have a number of knives around the house. With the possible exception of my dad's pocket knife, none of them have drawn the blood of any human being but me, and thus I consider them tools rather than weapons.

19 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

How about the Washington National Cathedral? Let's see if the avowed Religious Right is willing to be seen damaging the most symbolic church in America.

The Religious Right is pretty much composed of evangelical Protestants whose antipathy for Catholicism is well-publicized. The ones willing to march on Washington at Twitler's behest might not have too much respect for a historic Episcopalian cathedral, assuming they actually distinguish between the two faiths.

5 hours ago, archer said:

Acting Homeland Security Secretary Chad Wolf is stepping down from his position effective at the end of the day on Monday.

https://thehill.com/policy/national-security/533718-acting-dhs-chief-chad-wolf-stepping-down

Guess he gave up on the possibility of using the 25th amendment.

he wasn't going to be around much longer one way or the other. he had already said Trump was responsible for the riot so he was going to be fired, forced to quit or have to wait until he was replaced by Biden anyway. 

CES

12 minutes ago, Pariah said:

I wonder how long that will last. You cut off the president, so we're cutting you off. I can totally see the government have a look at this

CES  

9 hours ago, BNakagawa said:

8 hours ago, unclevlad said:

It's a point that needs to be considered, along with how Trump abused the entire confirmation process by simply using acting heads.  There's no doubt in my mind that a 25th Amendment removal would've been headed to the Supreme Court.

The amendment says cabinet member not "Senate confirmed head of a department".

Trump has been using them as cabinet members. Acting heads are listed on the White House's website as being members of the president's cabinet and have been for at least years (and perhaps for decades).

Sure Trump would object and ask the Supreme Court to accept the case immediately under original jurisdiction (aka not having to go through a series of lower courts). He'd have to get 4 justices to agree for that to happen. And I don't think that would happen in this political climate. Heck, with riots in the streets, I doubt the Supreme Court would want to be in DC at all, much less be in DC surrounded by a violent mob which intends on physically intimidating them into ignoring all the legal niceties and giving in to whatever the mob wants.

Even if the SC agreed to look at the case, they'd have to physically get to Washington and Trump's notoriously inept legal team would have to try to put together legal arguments which would convince 5 justices that Trump's legal team is right. They can't just show up to the Supreme Court completely unprepared and whine "that's not fair".

If the Supreme Court was inclined to be that biased in favor of Trump, they would have granted original jurisdiction in the various election cases and have already given him the White House.

In any event, back to my point. The constitution sets forth a process and that process says that once the cabinet votes Trump out, Pence is president. And there's an orderly and very time consuming constitutional process that the former president is supposed to use if he wants to attempt to reclaim the office. 

The Supreme Court wouldn't short-circuit that process.

And even if the court was inclined at all to short-circuit that process, it'd likely remove Trump from office for at least 5-7 days even if the court was wildly in favor of intervening and chose to move at breath-taking speed.

In my opinion, at this point it's not a matter of keeping Trump from getting back into office as much as it is a matter of removing him from office. The system isn't set up to be able to move fast enough to put Trump back in office before Biden's inauguration...if Trump gets removed in the first place.

CABLE NEWS RACE
FRI JAN 8 2021

MSNBC MADDOW 5,152,000
CNN COOPER 4,855,000
CNN CUOMO 4,320,000
CNN BURNETT 4,221,000
MSNBC O'DONNELL 4,055,000
CNN LEMON 3,891,000
CNN TAPPER 3,803,000
MSNBC HAYES 3,740,000
MSNBC REID 3,369,000
FOXNEWS TUCKER 3,360,000
FOXNEWS HANNITY 3,013,000
FOXNEWS INGRAHAM 2,561,000
NEWSMAX KELLY 626,000

Somebody's slip is showing....

11 hours ago, Pariah said:

Anyone care to give odds on the survival of the provider?  Sure, some customers will be outraged by Trump being blocked, but others will be incensed by this action...and if they have a choice, they may well switch providers.  And they may be breaking Washington state law.  

In other news, the latest major snub of The Donald...Bill Belichick declined the Medal of Freedom.

2 hours ago, unclevlad said:

Anyone care to give odds on the survival of the provider?  Sure, some customers will be outraged by Trump being blocked, but others will be incensed by this action...and if they have a choice, they may well switch providers.  And they may be breaking Washington state law.

In WA maybe, but the folks in northern Idaho, I don't know. I mean... Idaho. I'd say they're the ones who made the original complaints.

In other news, the latest major snub of The Donald...Bill Belichick declined the Medal of Freedom.

I wasn't sure which way he'd decide on this, but good on Hoodie. 

If roughly half of the nation identifies as Democrat/liberal, then...that figure is disconcerting/disheartening instead of uplifting. The vast majority of Democrats/liberals want Trump gone; there may be a few Republicans plus Independents that also want him gone, but most of that 57% are Democrats/liberals. Most people in that remaining 43% are Republicans or Independents. *sigh*.

On 1/10/2021 at 10:12 PM, Lord Liaden said:

I do believe that W truly thinks he acted for the greater good, and genuinely wanted to make life better for people in America and elsewhere in the world. I don't consider him an evil man, but he is an unexceptional man, having taken on a responsibility that was beyond his capacity.

I am truly disturbed to see even this amount of Bush Jr. defense around wars that never should have happened.

On 1/10/2021 at 9:54 PM, Old Man said:

W started a war under false pretenses and openly supported a program of torture and indefinite incarceration without trial.  These are war crimes for which he has been convicted in international court.

For what it's worth, I agree with Ragitsu that W still holds the WPE title belt, but only because I never considered Trump a legitimate POTUS.

Thank you. I vehemently oppose any attempt to rehabilitate that man and/or his cronies.