Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

So, forget the 25th Amendment.  Pence sent a letter to Pelosi declining to start the action, and criticizing Pelosi for the resolution requesting that he invoke it. I can see his point about the latter;  the House has its own mechanism, and that is impeachment.

So I suspect we'll have the impeachment pass tomorrow.  The question will be, how many Republicans vote in favor.  Does anyone who voted to sustain the objections to sitting the electors, reverse their position now?  That might be the absolutely worst move, tho, to flip at this stage.

7 hours ago, archer said:

From what I remember of my Texas history, the immigrants to Texas were invited to move from the US to Texas and were promised protection from Indians and no taxes.

A lot of the problems started when the government tried to repossess cannon which had been deployed to discourage Indian attacks. And started imposing taxes.

That is so; but Mexico banned further immigration from the United States in 1830, yet American colonists continued to arrive anyway. And the forces at the Alamo included volunteers from the States who had come in support of the revolution.

Also, another big point of contention was that Mexico had banned slavery, and thousands of the colonists were slave-owners.

Its starting to come out that some of the new Republicans were tweeting where Nancy Pelosi were as the Service moved her around. There's talk about excluding them from action in the house and senate

CES 

9 hours ago, BoneDaddy said:

If he’s impeached, pence can pardon him. So I’m torn - I’m pretty sure we (all of us on earth) a a bit less safe with him in office, but I long to see him prosecuted. He will doubtless attempt to pardon himself, and it’s definitely about time the pardon power was limited in some way (by judicial fiat) but Pence’s power to pardon him seems plenary to me unless pence is a codefendant.

If we don’t prosecute him, government corruption becomes even more open and free of consequences. We clearly need to rein it in a great deal. 

you can't pardon an impeachment. it has to be rescinded

CES

That is so; but Mexico banned further immigration from the United States in 1830, yet American colonists continued to arrive anyway. And the forces at the Alamo included volunteers from the States who had come in support of the revolution.

Also, another big point of contention was that Mexico had banned slavery, and thousands of the colonists were slave-owners.

The whole era was a flusterfubar. The government banned further immigration in 1830 then reinstated immigration after 1833 in response to requests from colonist petitions.

The government banned slavery in 1829 except among immigrants from the US who were continued to be allowed to use slaves.

General Santa Anna in Mexico led a successful rebellion against the government of Mexico with support of Texans. He had their support because he claimed to be in favor of greater autonomy for states...right up until he wasn't.

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Texas-Revolution

Their politics almost makes current US politics look reasonable and tidy.

3 hours ago, archer said:

The whole era was a flusterfubar. The government banned further immigration in 1830 then reinstated immigration after 1833 in response to requests from colonist petitions.

The government banned slavery in 1829 except among immigrants from the US who were continued to be allowed to use slaves.

General Santa Anna in Mexico led a successful rebellion against the government of Mexico with support of Texans. He had their support because he claimed to be in favor of greater autonomy for states...right up until he wasn't.

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Texas-Revolution

Their politics almost makes current US politics look reasonable and tidy.

It's actually a fascinating period all around. IIRC, The Texas area was not the only Mexican State that was rebelling  In addition to the Republic of Texas, there was also the Republic of the Rio Grande and the Republic of Yucatán. I maybe muddling the dates of those events but it was close I think. Texas just happened to succeed where others didn't and largely because the United States was ready to back it up and later take it in.

It's amazing to me how many of the mob seem SURPRISED they can break into a federal building, the capitol no less, break laws, make threats (Implied at least) and end up *Gasp* On No Fly lists, or even just flat out get arrested.  

There are stories and reports of various mob members freaking out because they're discovering the law actually applies to them.

5 hours ago, csyphrett said:

Its starting to come out that some of the new Republicans were tweeting where Nancy Pelosi were as the Service moved her around. There's talk about excluding them from action in the house and senate

From what I saw, it wasn't clear.  They weren't saying where she was, just that she had been moved.

Which is still cagey as ef.

---

You would not believe how many old friends of mine are saying effectively "coup??  that doesn't pass the sniff test.  No way the elite police in DC would let that happen.  lololol if it wasn't trespassing why weren't all the protesters shot???"

I swear, OAN/Fox News is utterly culpable now.

Well, I can't afford to burn bridges but i may have just done that. One of my relatives put up a long eloquent piece by Mike Rowe, and I ..tore into it.

I have been SO good at trying not to rile family or friends who have supported Trump. The Coup was the last straw for me I fear. I hope this doesn't bite me in the ass, but I just can't stand the BS any longer.

2 minutes ago, Hermit said:

Well, I can't afford to burn bridges but i may have just done that. One of my relatives put up a long eloquent piece by Mike Rowe, and I ..tore into it.

I have been SO good at trying not to rile family or friends who have supported Trump. The Coup was the last straw for me I fear. I hope this doesn't bite me in the ass, but I just can't stand the BS any longer.

My sympathies.

Went through the same thing with my father but with just expressing the facts calmly. We spent a frosty six months last year where I got the impression that he was waiting on me to apologize for the facts.

32 minutes ago, Hermit said:

My sympathies.

I've hit my Last Straw moment five times now.

The literal denial of the pandemic, and the denial denial (edit: denying the denial while simultaneously promoting an anti-mask culture, literally the least you could possibly do), and the direct interference with the election (USPS) while forewarning about it, the post election consequences, the Georgia call, and now this.  This crappy coup was the most recorded/streamed single event in American history (except for the George Floyd protests, arguably).

There's no excuse for people not to actually look at what happened.  I've seen six angles of the officer being caught in the door during the door breach 'push' alone.

I am running into a shocking amount of people who insist the coup wasn't a real thing, it's not Trump's fault, etc etc.