Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

56 minutes ago, TrickstaPriest said:

Don't agree with this guy on a lot of things, but he's directly talking about what I am.  Literally minimizing a literal coup (obviously warier of the latter half)

It turns out that Officer Goodman, the cop he was speaking of didn't just run to save his own life (understandable) but cunningly lead the seditionists away from areas where the congress members were. The officer deserves props for that . Hell, he deserves a medal.

I don't agree with Sam Harris on all his points but he does have me thinking on a few 

5 hours ago, Hermit said:

It's actually a fascinating period all around. IIRC, The Texas area was not the only Mexican State that was rebelling  In addition to the Republic of Texas, there was also the Republic of the Rio Grande and the Republic of Yucatán. I maybe muddling the dates of those events but it was close I think. Texas just happened to succeed where others didn't and largely because the United States was ready to back it up and later take it in.

Huh. Sounds like it could be adapted inoi a pretty fair fantasy novel, the way Paula Volsky adapted the French Revolution in Illusion. Though I thought that book was a little too on the nose; Mexican politics would likely be less familiar to most readers. It would certainly be less familiar to me!

Dean Shomshak

4 hours ago, TrickstaPriest said:

My sympathies.

I've hit my Last Straw moment five times now.

The literal denial of the pandemic, and the denial denial (edit: denying the denial while simultaneously promoting an anti-mask culture, literally the least you could possibly do), and the direct interference with the election (USPS) while forewarning about it, the post election consequences, the Georgia call, and now this.  This crappy coup was the most recorded/streamed single event in American history (except for the George Floyd protests, arguably).

There's no excuse for people not to actually look at what happened.  I've seen six angles of the officer being caught in the door during the door breach 'push' alone.

I am running into a shocking amount of people who insist the coup wasn't a real thing, it's not Trump's fault, etc etc.

It was antifa.  The left organized a false flag assault on the Capitol to disrupt the election that they already won.  This is some real sixth dimensional chess, let me tell you.

/s

Ali Alexander is stating that Senator Mo Brooks (alabama), Andy Biggs (arizona) and Congressman Paul Gozar (arizona) gave him a tour of the Capitol building before he helped create the riot. Brooks is blaming antifa even though it is likely that the FBI will be able to prove a connection between him and Alexander eventually.

Biggs is probably the cause of people getting infected with Covid since he won't wear a mask.

Gozar's relatives say he should be removed since he is worthless and antiethical to the US

CES 

This is one of the few stories I found. I don't know how reliable the Hill is, but CNN and Bloomberg and a couple of others were posting this

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/533565-gosars-siblings-push-to-have-him-removed-from-congress-after-capitol-riot

I am going to be honest here, this will probably be a good bye of sorts (for this thread for me) i hope i dont offend.

While i didnt like Trump, the resulting aftermath has put a great deal of fear in me. As a small government conservative, i do sincerely we and the libertarians days of politicql free speech are numbered. I just dont see the censoring stoping here and now. And the signs do tell me we are next. It is what it is, and this is my sincere opinion. I do hope i didnt offend.

6 minutes ago, Badger said:

I am going to be honest here, this will probably be a good bye of sorts (for this thread for me) i hope i dont offend.

While i didnt like Trump, the resulting aftermath has put a great deal of fear in me. As a small government conservative, i do sincerely we and the libertarians days of politicql free speech are numbered. I just dont see the censoring stoping here and now. And the signs do tell me we are next. It is what it is, and this is my sincere opinion. I do hope i didnt offend.

I mean, I'm more willing to talk about the bad that happened during the George Floyd protests than I was before this event happened.

But this event is endangering on another scale.  There's going to be snapback for a while.

The censorship issue is more of an issue of fighting over what is causing endangerment, because I assure you that's something I've seen for over a decade.  I'm not surprised it ended this way.

1 minute ago, TrickstaPriest said:

I mean, I'm more willing to talk about the bad that happened during the George Floyd protests than I was before this event happened.

But this event is endangering on another scale.  There's going to be snapback for a while.

The censorship issue is more of an issue of fighting over what is causing endangerment, because I assure you that's something I've seen for over a decade.  I'm not surprised it ended this way.

Yeah, i wasnt saying anything about that. But, i just see me as the inevitable victim of collateral damage. But, thanks for the comment. I do plan on being around hopefully in other threads, just that politics isnt worth wasting any time for me.

5 minutes ago, Badger said:

If Trump's words at that last rally weren't in a context of everything else that he's been saying for months and if Trump weren't getting briefings about how the crazies were interpreting his words, I don't think his words at the speech would be actionable.

But he did deliberately create a very specific framework for understanding those words.

I think that's the difference we're going to see between "free speech concerns" and "incitement/sedition concerns".

I don't personally think that this episode in American politics will end up further restricting political free speech in any manner. The laws are already set up to handle this scenario.

20 minutes ago, Badger said:

Totally understand.  Don't stay away too long, it's always nice to see a reasonable conservative viewpoint.

House Republicans who voted to impeach:

1.   House Republican Conference Chair Liz Cheney (Wyo.)

2.   Rep. Anthony Gonzalez (Ohio) 

3.   Rep. Jaime Herrera Beutler (Wash.)

4.   Rep. John Katko (N.Y.)

5.   Rep. Adam Kinzinger (Ill.)

6.   Rep. Peter Meijer (Mich.)

7.   Rep. Dan Newhouse (Wash.)

8.   Rep. Tom Rice (S.C.)

9.   Rep. Fred Upton (Mich.)

10. Rep. David Valadao (Calif.)

House Republicans who didn't register a vote:

Daniel Webster (AL)

George Murphy (NC)

Kay Granger (TX)

That's more against the president than I would have honestly expected.

14 hours ago, csyphrett said:

Its starting to come out that some of the new Republicans were tweeting where Nancy Pelosi were as the Service moved her around. There's talk about excluding them from action in the house and senate

CES 

you can't pardon an impeachment. it has to be rescinded

CES

I meant the rest of his numerous federal crimes. 

4 hours ago, Badger said:

What censorship are you talking about, specifically?

I see no reason to re-imbed the video to respond to it; I hope that's not bad form.

At any rate:  if social media and the companies that host it make a strong move push against fascism, nazi-ism, and terrorism, and _you_ lose followers....

Maybe that's the sort of thing that should make you think about who you are and how you're doing?