Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

10 hours ago, Pariah said:

I'm curious, why do these folks think that Donald Trump won't throw them under the bus the way he has with so many others?

‘I’m facing a prison sentence’: US Capitol rioters plead with Trump for pardons

This is the problem. When leaders are not held accountable, their followers don't think they should be either.

Looking at the article, I note:

THEN

“We’re gonna go down and storm the Capitol,” Ryan said in a video posted to Facebook. “They’re down there right now and that’s why we came and so that’s what we are going to do. So wish me luck.”

During a live Facebook video at the scene of the incursion, Ryan stated: “We are going to f***ing go in here. Life or death, it doesn’t matter. Here we go.”

She climbed the steps of the Capitol, then promoted her real estate business to camera: “Y’all know who to hire for your realtor. Jenna Ryan for your realtor.”

Later, Ryan posted on Twitter: “We just stormed the Capital [sic]. It was one of the best days of my life.”

NOW

“I’m facing a prison sentence,” she told CBS11 at her home. “I think I do not deserve that.”

Turning to look into the camera, she said: “I would ask the president of the United States to give me a pardon.”

So life or death didn't matter, but a prison sentence is excessive?

42 minutes ago, Hugh Neilson said:

I don't know why they'd be so opposed to the proposition: prison worked great for Nelson Mandela (a major political symbol). Then again, Mandela is probably the last sort of person they would ever identify with.

58 minutes ago, Hugh Neilson said:

I think part of it, as I wrote earlier, is that they were treating the whole thing like a game, not seriously thinking about being killed. They were also caught up in the passion of the moment. Now they've cooled off, and reality is knocking very hard at their door. They were also part of a pack, and probably felt safety in their numbers. But each of them is facing these charges alone.

17 hours ago, Ragitsu said:

He was working security and was released. he still has a problem with having a weapon in the District, but he wasn't there to do anything but protect some of the set up from damage

CES

20 hours ago, Old Man said:

Who said anything about Russians?  Last I checked the Confederacy and Nazi Germany were formally declared enemies of the United States.  And I reckon participating in a direct attack on Congress might violate an armistice provision or two.  But, IANAL.

And those states no longer exist. The Confederacy was defeated and absorbed. The Third Reich was defeated and abolished, and a new constitution was the basis for the current German republic. Anyone claiming to represent either of them or act in their name has no legal standing, other than as private citizens.

23 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

And those states no longer exist. The Confederacy was defeated and absorbed. The Third Reich was defeated and abolished, and a new constitution was the basis for the current German republic. Anyone claiming to represent either of them or act in their name has no legal standing, other than as private citizens.

You don't actually need a declared war to commit an act of war under the title. I think the real sticking point is intent. Since most of these upstanding citizens have a fuzzy idea of their own intent at best, that's probably hard to prove.

Song for Donald and Melania...

We're leavin' together
But still it's farewell
And maybe we'll come back
To Earth, who can tell?
I guess there is no one to blame
We're leaving ground (leaving ground)
Will things ever be the same again?
It's the final countdown
The final countdown

The Final Countdown by Europe.  Those of a certain age, you know you loved it too.

On 1/17/2021 at 2:18 AM, Old Man said:

Just showing constituents around when all Capitol tours have been banned since March?  And I'd be interested to learn what percentage of "tourists" found themselves roaming around inside the Capitol again on January 6.

I'd be interested to know why people can go on a tour of the Capitol at all, at any time and for any purposes over the last 20 years, without signing in and showing matching ID so that there's a record of them showing up, leaving, who signed them in, and what entrances and exits they used.

52 minutes ago, Iuz the Evil said:

Yikes, that’s really problematic for our surveillance of various radical factions I suspect.

Pretty interesting that it's Russia that's stepped in.  I was only half-in-the-pool of them being closely involved (deniable but possible), but that pretty much clinches it for me.

Hey now it's the US that's the subject of proxy wars of foreign countries! :D yaayy... 😕

48 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

I'm going to love watching how any self-proclaimed American patriot using Parler rationalizes this.

BTW I hear all the Americans pronouncing this social medium's name, "parlur," which sounds really cute to me, because "parler" is a French word, pronounced "par-LAY," literally the verb, "to speak."

I think they were going off of 'parlour' or 'parlor' - which is a meeting or reception room often for conversation, i.e. beauty parlor or funeral parlor.

Meanwhile....

Confused users in search of Parler push the app 'Parlor' to top of app store charts

5 hours ago, Starlord said:

I think they were going off of 'parlour' or 'parlor' - which is a meeting or reception room often for conversation, i.e. beauty parlor or funeral parlor.

Meanwhile....

Confused users in search of Parler push the app 'Parlor' to top of app store charts

What’s funny is that the less confused Parler users are switching to Signal. The other funny thing is that Signal tells you if someone in your contacts list signs up for Signal. I’ve gotten a few of those in the past week. Hmm. 

23 hours ago, csyphrett said:

It has come out that Boebort (the food poisoning, court defying, guncarrying in a no gun zone, restaurant owner congresswoman who tweeted they were moving Pelosi around) also gave tours to insurrectionists the day before the riot. The FBI are like man, that's a big coincidence

CES

I'd like to read more about this. Source, link, please? (Yes, I can Google, but my service is real slow.)

Dean Shomshak

Oh, and my newspaper today carried a Bloomberg News story about Trump's post-presidential prospects. He's been cut off from the major social media outlets; PayPal and other major online minancial services have cut him off, too; his brand is toxic with retailers; banks say they won't do business with him; his name is being taken off real estate. Oh, and there's a stack of criminal investigations and civil lawsuits. But apparently he's still popular in Brazil, India and the Middle East, especially with populist leaders and petro-despots. So his future may be in Saudi Arabia or the UAE, and never mind about that "Muslim Ban."

EDIT: And here's the link:

• Citizen Trump: The many paths ahead for the ex-president

www.gctelegram.com/story/news/2021/01/19/citizen...

Citizen Trump: The many paths ahead for the ex-president. By Tina Davis. Bloomberg News/TNS. Most ex-presidents spend their time out of office playing golf, getting their libraries in order ...

Dean Shomshak