Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

I just saw this, and I have to think everyone here hadn't yet or they'd have posted...

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/535317-rep-marjorie-taylor-greene-files-articles-of-impeachment-against-biden

A stupid freshman, 2 weeks in office, pulling this????

Lady, are you TRYING to commit political suicide?  This is so far beyond moronic it's breathtaking.

19 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

I just saw this, and I have to think everyone here hadn't yet or they'd have posted...

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/535317-rep-marjorie-taylor-greene-files-articles-of-impeachment-against-biden

Lady, are you TRYING to commit political suicide?  This is so far beyond moronic it's breathtaking.

She said from the beginning that she was going to do this. So I guess, good for her for keeping her word?

"Greene indicated that the articles accuse Biden of abusing his power while serving as vice president by allowing his son, Hunter, to serve on the board of a Ukrainian energy company"

On the other hand: It's a really good thing that she doesn't understand how crime works. Or impeachment. Or "allowing" your kids to do things.

36 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

THis is the lady that told Parler participants to hand over their ID and they did, exposing themselves

CES 

2 hours ago, unclevlad said:

In what sense is this political suicide?  If she answers to a constituency that expects her to kill Biden on sight, this may be a perfectly reasonable course of action.

7 minutes ago, Old Man said:

In what sense is this political suicide?  If she answers to a constituency that expects her to kill Biden on sight, this may be a perfectly reasonable course of action.

For her district maybe, but this is a completely baseless stunt that is going to antagonize all the Democrats, and many Republicans I think *because* it's so ridiculous.  Her prospects for building a record just went WAY down.

She doesn't understand how things work in the Washington legislature. She obviously thinks she can pull stunts like Trump did to get attention, and will get away with it because the President did. Another legacy of Trump, inspiring legislative idiocy. McConnell is running the GOP now, and he won't put up with grandstanding without his approval.

And it's compounded because the grounds make the election fraud allegations look substantive.  And just as Biden takes office?  It makes the entire Republican Party look bad.

Another aspect is, while the people in her district might approve, will her contributors?  She's already in hot water for objecting to the electoral college vote.  Moves like this will only lock down the feeling in corporate America that she's not one to support.  

1 hour ago, Starlord said:

Last point made in the article is that the lawyers filing this, may be subject to sanctions.  Disbarment works for me.  The Guardian article ties to the fantasyland aspect, but the assertions are even worse.  This is the court filing:

https://beta.documentcloud.org/documents/20459500-paul-davis-lawsuit-in-texas

As an article about Rep Boebert linked a few pages back notes, many of the 2030 freshmen Republicans seem to think their job is to pull stunts to please the base. Who cares about legislation, when there are libs to own?

But this didn't begin even with Trump. A few weeks back, center-right columnist David Brooks had a column about the Capoitol insurrection, and about Ted Cruz. Brooks says he was in the Senate dining room a bit after freshman Sen. Ted pulled his stunt of shutting the government down by filibuster, achieving nothing real. When Cruz walked into the dining room, Brooks says he felt the temperature drop fro the raw contempt senators of both parties felt for Cruz and his stunt. Cruz made himself hated.

And yet... bad as it was for government and the prestige of the Senate, boy howdy it sure worked for Cruz. The base lapped it up. Cruz became a fundraising machine. The lesson was clear: This is what the Republican base wants. And politicians took the lesson to heart. Boebert and Greene are just giving the voters what they want. Or at least an especially committed and profitable segment of the voters. Cruz hasn't suffered for his stunts, and probably neither will they.

Dean Shomshak

The differences between Cruz' stunt and Boebert's:

--the Republican Party is internally divided;  it remains to be seen how that plays out.  If Trumpism wins, Boebert may not see much long-term backlash.

--the money may NOT continue to roll in for Boebert, altho how long the corporations continue their stance remains to be seen

--Boebert's too easy to connect to crackpots like Paul Davis, the idiot that filed the suit to overturn the *entire* election.

FiveThirtyEight showed polling that immediately after the Capitol incursion, 16% of Republicans supported removing Trump before the end of his term.  It dropped a bit up until the 20th, but as the day neared, the impetus to do so pretty naturally waned.  10 Republicans voted to impeach, in the House...which might not sound like a lot, but impeachment votes have rarely been anything but pure party-line, as I understand.  (Nixon would've been the exception, but there was smoking-gun level evidence against him.)

The 2022 primary elections will be enormous.

ATC interview with reporter who watches QAnon fora says significant numbers of people say they feel like fools or that they were conned, Wondering what they can say to the friends and families they alienated. People waiting for Trump to swoop in at the last minute with THE PROOF to arrest Biden and blow the Satanic conspiracy wide open, and them... nothing.

But many others remain faithful. Reporter expects QAnon will schism as people seek new interpretations and new messiahs.

My thought: Just like every other millennarian movement, when the world doesn't end on schedule. (And QAnon is totally millennarian, with Trump as savior to bring the new heaven and new Earth.) Some people still believe, try to re-interpret the clues from Scripture (or the Q-drops), to find the new date.

It's a little rough, but I was moved to dash this off:

World didn't end,

Savior don't descend.

Feeling like a moron in my robe so white.

Standing on a hill,

To the prophet's will,

We believed so hard, how could he not be right?

No, I mustn't doubt:

God will pull us out.

Wicked world replaced with something clean and pure.

Read the signs again.

World, won't you end?

Find another prophecy -- this time, for sure!

Dean Shomshak

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2021/01/peter-robb-alice-stock-nlrb-fired.html

Twenty-three minutes after assuming the presidency, Joe Biden demanded the resignation of Peter Robb, the notoriously anti-union general counsel of the National Labor Relations Board appointed by Donald Trump. Robb refused to resign, so Biden fired him. Alice Stock, another anti-union Trump appointee, then assumed the role of acting general counsel—and Biden demanded her resignation the next day. Stock also refused to resign, so Biden fired her, too.

Both Robb and Stock, who relentlessly undermined unions’ ability to organize and bargain, are now complaining that Biden fired them without just cause. Stock went so far as to suggest that Robb’s firing was illegal. She is wrong. Robb and Stock were at-will employees of the executive. Like the countless American workers whom they prevented from unionizing, they had no guarantee against termination without just cause. Biden did not violate any laws. He simply gave the nation’s chief union busters a taste of their own medicine.

If the mission is to enforce federal labor law, then a virulently anti-union stance would clearly seem to be a violation of the organizational charter.  Republicans are whining the action made the position political.  Perhaps so, to a degree, but it's also plausible to say he was never doing his job in the first place.

Drawdown of number of National Guard troops in DC begins: going from 25,000 at the inauguration down to 7,000 at the beginning of the impeachment trial on Feb. 8th.

If the trial seems to be going without protests, they'll continue the drawdown to 5,000. Then keep it at that level through mid-March.

And apparently the new QAnon theory is that Trump's inauguration will be on March 4th. Not sure how they think that might happen, but I guess it doesn't have to make sense to me.

https://thehill.com/policy/defense/535586-national-guard-may-stay-in-washington-though-march-due-to-impeachment-security