Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

8 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

If you're referring to Rep. Andy Harris allegedly trying to bring his gun onto the House floor a week ago, he reportedly was caught by the metal detectors and turned back. https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/capitol-police-probing-whether-gop-rep-andy-harris-tried-bring-n1255237

Like it isn't totally f__ed up that we have to have metal detectors around the chamber in the first place.  To stop GOP congresspeople.

But I was mainly referring to the fact that those GOP congresspeople wander around the rest of the Capitol with guns.  Like Mr. Harris in the linked article.

"The Capitol Hill attack was Antifa/Anti-trump" people is already becoming a commonplace thing I'm seeing

On top of that, I'm seeing people saying that Biden should apologize for the 44k+ people who've died because of coronavirus more often than not.

Food for thought.

/s

I'm honestly a little relieved my trump-loving close family member doesn't think the Capitol Hill riot was a false flag operation

Yesterday's ep of "The Daily" NYTimes podcast gave a (perhaps surprisingly) empathetic look at how QAnon believers are dealing with Trump's departure.

1 hour ago, Cygnia said:

Boy howdy, the US sure never learned these ;lessons. I remember after Saddam Hussein's overthrow, the American campaign of "debaathification" that, so I am told, turned hundreds of thousands of Iraqi soldiers into fiercely dedicated insurgents and left occupied Iraq with no home-grown military to fight them. Which then resulted in a half-assed force that folded like a cheap suit against ISIS.

That Puritan streak, to cast out the unrighteous no matter the cost -- it's rarely don us good.

Dean Shomshak

Trump's impeachment defense team leaves less than two weeks before trial

Reportedly over creative differences.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/30/politics/butch-bowers-deborah-barbier-trump-impeachment-team/index.html

Trump had a large amount of trouble finding anyone at all to represent him. Now he drove these people off.

Technically, the accused in an impeachment trial isn't entitled to court-appointed legal representation because what's happening isn't part of the judicial system.

It'll be interesting if Trump ends up not having a legal team.

Senator Cruz volunteered to represent Trump's electoral cases in from of the Supreme Court. Maybe he can take over.

<shakes head in amazement>

Trump insisted that the defense strategy was simply regurgitate the whole "election was stolen" story.  

Yeah...on that basis, the surprise is if there's *any* attorneys left on his team.  Other than Rudy, maybe.  

It probably won't matter.  In a normal criminal trial...on that 'defense' it'd be a trivial conviction, as none of the prosecution's assertions would be challenged at all.  But it's not a normal trial, and the 'jury' is about as anti-impartial as possible.  Who knows, maybe details like that insane "stand down" order...from a total Trump lackey...will sway people.  Probably not enough.

12 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

It probably won't matter.  In a normal criminal trial...on that 'defense' it'd be a trivial conviction, as none of the prosecution's assertions would be challenged at all.  But it's not a normal trial, and the 'jury' is about as anti-impartial as possible.  Who knows, maybe details like that insane "stand down" order...from a total Trump lackey...will sway people.  Probably not enough.

That's literally the problem.  In any other situation he'd be a laughing stock.  But because the party behind him has literally abandoned any pretense of trying to run this country as anything more than a mono-party that shuts down everything not on their agenda, they are utterly fine with enabling him.