Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

< grumble, grumble, damnable government, grumble, grumble >

Okay so my kids each got their second stimulus check.

Last April, my wife and I each had our first stimulus check direct deposited into our account.

But we didn't get a tax refund for our jointly-filed income taxes which we filed last April. That lack of refund means the IRS somehow officially immediately "lost" our bank account information which they had during that same month. So our second stimulus checks were to be mailed to us.

My wife got her stimulus check. I did not, even though we filed jointly.

Come to find out that the government simply never issued a stimulus check for me. And get this, they don't have a way to correct their mistake and send me a stimulus check or direct deposit a stimulus check for me. They just simply didn't create a system to correct any mistakes they made.

The best they can do is have me file my 2020 income tax return, note on it that I should have been given a stimulus check but wasn't.

Then when they get around to processing my income tax return, they'll figure out whether to give me the stimulus check, jointly, as part of my refund. Or whether they need to keep my stimulus check and not issue it at all and use that money to offset taxes that I owe.

First of all, I don't understand how they could, under any circumstances, make a mistake like that.

Second, how can you not set up any system to fix your own mistakes?

Third, the stimulus is supposed to be a completely separate issue from income taxes. Even if I owed fifteen years of back taxes, I'm still supposed to get the freaking stimulus check. The check is issued by the Treasury Department by order of Congress. The IRS isn't supposed to be involved at all. The government is conflating two separate things then telling a government agency it can seize my money without any legal authorization. 

Fourth, they don't understand the concept of stimulus if they think that MAYBE getting money at some point in the distant future is the same as getting money two weeks ago.

Fifth, I'd REALLY be screwed if my spouse and I didn't have a good relationship about money. In some marriages, giving the wife $600 then later giving $600 to them as a couple could easily start WWIII.

< grumble, grumble, damnable government, grumble, grumble >

I saw this as a comment on a YouTube political video, posted by one Rich Delgado:

So...

- Biden is President

- Dobbs is out

- Trump can't tweet

- Newsmax is getting sued

- Fox, Giuliani and Sidney Powell are getting sued

- Newsmax has to pay Rachel Maddow's legal fees

- Giuliani gets a big fat disclaimer before his radio show

- Mike Lindell's movie is pulled from YouTube.

Man, I am LOVING 2021!!!!

2 hours ago, archer said:

But we didn't get a tax refund for our jointly-filed income taxes which we filed last April. That lack of refund means the IRS somehow officially immediately "lost" our bank account information which they had during that same month. So our second stimulus checks were to be mailed to us.

How the IRS Was Gutted

An eight-year campaign to slash the agency’s budget has left it understaffed, hamstrung and operating with archaic equipment. The result: billions less to fund the government. That’s good news for corporations and the wealthy.

1 hour ago, Old Man said:

How the IRS Was Gutted

Indeed. One of their ugly truths of Government is “you get what you pay for” (and pay attention to). Cut funding? That’s an immediate reduction in service. Period. Don’t pay attention because it’s boring? It becomes incredibly inefficient. 

I like Government, but it’s very vulnerable to the whims of the electorate. And thank goodness for that. 

i just wish the electorate was better informed and more interested.

Was this disinformation or simply not saying anything?

Also, was this the will of the electorate, or those serving the whims of the plutocrats?  On the face of it, this goes hand in glove with reductions in oversight in other areas.

How much noise would the reductions to the Postal Service have made...if not for the election-related issues?  There's been no impetus to bring up the IRS reductions...heck, it could be argued that a lot of em were "the result of automated process improvements."  

45 minutes ago, Starlord said:

Wow, it's weird listening to a calm, competent and thoroughly prepared Press Secretary again.  Great answer to this Fox journalist questions about the Keystone pipeline and Biden's climate job plans

She's also got years of experience in government doing just this sort of job.

You know, rather than getting the job as a political payoff to her father in exchange for his endorsement during the primaries.

This "Doocy" guy got a name that certainly sounds like it fits him. I've watched multiple press conferences where he keeps trying to ask "gotcha" questions like he's dealing with the lying fools that used to front Trump. But he just comes across as unprepared, childish and not very bright.

50 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

This "Doocy" guy got a name that certainly sounds like it fits him. I've watched multiple press conferences where he keeps trying to ask "gotcha" questions like he's dealing with the lying fools that used to front Trump. But he just comes across as unprepared, childish and not very bright.

They're so used to a disingenuous public line with selective quotes and  evidence that they can't understand that some people might actually believe what they say and have come to their beliefs through education. That includes the idea that the government should put the long term good over short term fixes.

1 hour ago, Grailknight said:

They're so used to a disingenuous public line with selective quotes and  evidence that they can't understand that some people might actually believe what they say and have come to their beliefs through education. That includes the idea that the government should put the long term good over short term fixes.

I think the goal of many "journalists" today is to try to extract a juicy sound bite they can spin out of context into something controversial to use as clickbait.

43 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

I think the goal of many "journalists" today is to try to extract a juicy sound bite they can spin out of context into something controversial to use as clickbait.

That was the long and short of what he was trying to do, was my take as I watched it.  Altho not just clickbait per se;  it'd be used as ammo by all the Fox talking heads.

21 hours ago, archer said:

Oh, and if they authorize another $1400 in stimulus in Feb or March, am I going to have to wait until 2022 in order to claim it?

We got a card, rather than direct deposit, because the financial institution into which our tax refund went changed (it was acquired, now belongs to another credit union, so the routing numbers are different).  I haven't done anything with it yet, partly because we have a couple of trouble-on-a-scale-as-yet-unclear home maintenance issues still being examined that could absorb all of it and more, as opposed to spending it on nice-but-not-strictly-necessary like a new laptop for my wife, etc.

3 hours ago, unclevlad said:

That was the long and short of what he was trying to do, was my take as I watched it.  Altho not just clickbait per se;  it'd be used as ammo by all the Fox talking heads.

This unfortunately has been a thing for a while.  This is why you catch all of these stupid runon dialogues from congressmen during events like trials and other meetings.  It's entirely so it can be clipped by fox/etc and so they can go "Xman is a hero!  see him yell at Y group for Z reason."

Former First Lady Melania wanted to know what was in store for her future and went to fortune teller who told her, "Prepare to become a widow. Your husband will meet a untimely demise."

Melania thought for a few moments, took a big breath and asked the fortune teller, "Will Biden pardon me?"