Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

1 hour ago, Lord Liaden said:

Exactly. Lawyers will sometimes take high-profile cases where the money is incidental to the publicity the case will bring them. However, association with Donald Trump at this time and in this situation may not be a career-booster, and might even be detrimental.

When someone is starting off really close to the bottom of the barrel, there's not much of a place to go except up.

Meanwhile, to the surprise of absolutely no one, Moscow Mitch has announced that he intends to vote to acquit.

Let's see how many Republican Senators have the mivonks to defy the new de facto leader of the Republican Party. My guess is no more than three.

14 minutes ago, archer said:

I mean, I'm not surprised, but this literally has built the table for a second civil war.  The fact that the senate has decided to split their vote along party lines over a literal insurrection event (meant to actually kill one or both parties) practically screams that one is inevitable now.

3 minutes ago, TrickstaPriest said:

I mean, I'm not surprised, but this literally has built the table for a second civil war.  The fact that the senate has decided to split their vote along party lines over a literal insurrection event (meant to actually kill one or both parties) practically screams that one is inevitable now.

Yeah, I think it's inevitable that one side or the other will in the future at some point whistle up an armed mob to take over Capitol Hill, the White House, and/or the Supreme Court while knowing that if they should fail that it's highly unlikely that they'll be held responsible.

I thought we'd put all of this behind us more than 200 years ago when VP Aaron Burr raised an army to overthrow the government in what was then the western part of the US. But apparently not.

26 minutes ago, TrickstaPriest said:

The only reason I'm not completely panicking over this is that Trump is old and in poor health.  Even without him, conservative media and the brainwashed base will continue to be a problem.

55 minutes ago, Old Man said:

The only reason I'm not completely panicking over this is that Trump is old and in poor health.  Even without him, conservative media and the brainwashed base will continue to be a problem.

I'm not afraid of Donald Trump. I'm afraid of the next person to try to follow in his footsteps, who'll probably be smarter.

As a Canadian I've always been grateful that the United States is our closest neighbor, friend and ally. Like all Canadians I've complained about stuff America has done from time to time, but I was never scared by it. I'm scared now. :fear:

I applaud the ten Republican Representatives who voted to impeach Mr. Trump, as well as the seven Republican Senators who voted to convict. I know it was a difficult decision that will probably come back to bite them next election season. I thank these leaders for their courage.

The rest of the Republicans in Congress can go straight to Hell as far as I'm concerned.

I am embarrassed ever to have belonged to this Party.

I'm disappointed that the Senate chose not to hear witnesses. I knew they weren't going to convict. I hoped, as a consolation prize, that this whole thing could produce a nice first draft of history, a sort of truth and reconciliation commission. Load up on the testimony! Make Giuliani try and make sense.