Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

Montana Gov. Greg Gianforte (R) tested positive for COVID-19 on Monday

He made the announcement during a signing ceremony for legislation that shields businesses, health care providers, houses of worship and nonprofit organizations from coronavirus-related lawsuits.

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/546598-montana-governor-tests-positive-for-covid-19

2 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

I was being quite literal. Teddy in particular was not shy about personally thrashing scalawags.

I have no doubts about that.

When I posted the picture, I debated also posting the Sesame Street song "One of these things is not like the other".

In the picture, I can positively identify Grant, two Bushes, Ford, Teddy, Lincoln, Ike, and Nixon. Plus Trump.

Grant allowed corruption gone wild in his administration. Lincoln deliberately committed what we would consider war crimes today on his prisoners of war (which is not offset by the good that he did, in my book, but I tend to grade strictly). I loathe the first Bush, could almost barely tolerate the second on a good day. I don't like Ike. I loathe Nixon more than I loathe the first Bush.

But Trump managed to carve out a whole new class of his own.

2 hours ago, Pariah said:

"...unless you support us. Then by all means get involved."

McConnell to CEOs: 'Stay out of politics.' Republicans threaten businesses opposing Georgia voting law

My first though: I like and respect Coca-Cola a whole lot more than Mitch McConnell.

Mitch telling corporations to stay out of politics is laughable given the donations he receives. I don't usually wish ill on people, but god bless I wish he'd disappear.

Just now, Dr. MID-Nite said:

Mitch telling corporations to stay out of politics is laughable given the donations he receives. I don't usually wish ill on people, but god bless I wish he'd disappear.

His hypocrisy is staggering, is it not?

This is the guy who insisted on holding the Senate vote on Donald Trump's impeachment charge after the Biden inauguration, then used the fact Trump was no longer sitting President as an excuse to vote not to convict him. "Hypocrite" doesn't begin to cover him. What's staggering is that he doesn't even try to hide it anymore. Trump has convinced the GOP that their voters will swallow any garbage they feed them.

58 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

This is the guy who insisted on holding the Senate vote on Donald Trump's impeachment charge after the Biden inauguration, then used the fact Trump was no longer sitting President as an excuse to vote not to convict him. "Hypocrite" doesn't begin to cover him. What's staggering is that he doesn't even try to hide it anymore. Trump has convinced the GOP that their voters will swallow any garbage they feed them.

49 minutes ago, BoloOfEarth said:

To be fair, he's not all that wrong.  Maybe "shown" instead of "convinced"?

Uhm, we are talking the senator that stonewalled Merrick Garland's Supreme Court nomination during the 2016 election.  He hasn't bothered to 'hide it' since long before Trump...

Ah, now we have clarification:

McConnell warns corporate America to 'stay out of politics' — but says donations are OK

So my warning, if you will, to corporate America is to stay out of politics," McConnell told reporters at a news conference in Louisville. "It's not what you're designed for. And don't be intimidated by the left into taking up causes that put you right in the middle of one of America's greatest political debates.

You know, Republicans drink Coca-Cola, too, and we fly. And we like baseball. This is a pretty competitive political environment in America as I just pointed out a 50-50 Senate. If I were running a major corporation, I'd stay out of politics.

9 hours ago, Pariah said:

My first though: I like and respect Coca-Cola a whole lot more than Mitch McConnell.

I still have to nominate this for the Damnation by Faint Praise Hall of Fame.

Second, anyone?

9 hours ago, Pariah said:

CEOs to MoConnell:  "Well if you feel that way, we'll stop giving your faction any money."

4 hours ago, Tom said:

Uhm, we are talking the senator that stonewalled Merrick Garland's Supreme Court nomination during the 2016 election.  He hasn't bothered to 'hide it' since long before Trump...

But it wasn't until 2020 that Amy Coney Barrett was pushed through less than two months before the presidential election, when McConnell had argued that eight months before Obama's term was up was not enough time to properly vet Merrick Garland. When confronted with that disparity Mitch essentially shrugged it off.

Citizens United was wrong because it incorrectly asserted that corporations have the same rights to free speech as people. $ = free speech is correct, by many Supreme Court rulings, as well as broader principles regarding the actual exercise of rights versus nominal rights. Just as it has been established that the right to an attorney is meaningless if you don't have one, and one must be provided for you, the exercise of free speech is meaningless if you can't spend money on pamphlets, ads, staff, etc. Like it or not, raised tent politics are baked into the American system.

What we need are some laws, with teeth, that ensure corporations act in accordance with the public benefit, and that they don't become immortal, amoral "people" that aggregate the interests of the wealthy. Certainly, I would hate to see labor unions prohibited from aiding in any way the campaign of an elected official.

20 hours ago, Old Man said:

Lincoln wouldn't be there either.

I don't know about that. Lincoln had a very broad coalition that sought to unite Radical Abolitionists with more moderate members. At the outset of the Civil War, he continued to countenance slavery. He started a steep escalation of genocide against Native Americans. He suspended habeas corpus, and expanded emergency powers in ways unprecedented in the USA. He had legislators from rebel states arrested and removed from Congress in order to create the majorities he needed to pass legislation.

As much as I admire Lincoln as a skilled statesman, and accepting that he may have done the best he could with the situation as he saw it as the time, in the fullness of history, I have to count him among the white supremacists, of which Trump is one scion. In saving the Union, Lincoln did vast damage to democracy, from which we are still feeling the reverberations.

1 hour ago, unclevlad said:

Oh, come now.  McConnell is entirely devoted to his convictions.  

What you have to recognize is what they are...by his actions.  His words?  They're worth the paper they're written on.

I concur. But my point was, in previous years he'd be more devious in hiding his venality.