Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

Last night's Zoom call with the family turned into a full-blown political debate. Some of my cousins have really drunk the Kool-aid and spewed the crap the Trump supporters love to proclaim, from the election being rigged to Covid-19 being a hoax. Even my cousin from the Philippines called bs on their claims.

On 4/15/2021 at 7:26 AM, Pariah said:

As much as I dislike/mistrust the current composition of the Supreme Court and the ridiculous political shenanigans that lead thereto, I can't say I'm thrilled with this move. I think it has to potential to set a dangerous precedent.

Democrats to introduce bill to expand Supreme Court from 9 to 13 justices

I think this is probably just a statement; I don't think they've got the votes or the political capital to pull it off. 

Fella named Roosevelt had the same idea...

On 4/16/2021 at 3:34 AM, Starlord said:

6 red robes, 6 blue robes and 1 purple robe?  :)

6 starry, 6 Stripey, one Black. with a hood and mask...Awesome!

The Chauvin trial is winding down.

Minneapolis schools will close in-person classes Wednesday through Friday, IIRC, as a precaution.  The NBA has sent a memo to teams telling them to prepare for possible game postponements.

Some read this as "oh see, everyone expects acquittal."  I think it's simply prudent, should the verdict be something readable as a slap on the wrist (or less).  I would expect MLB to be advising clubs similarly, but haven't seen anything.  With the Toledo video and Daunte Wright so fresh, tensions have to be very high anyway.

11 hours ago, unclevlad said:

The Chauvin trial is winding down.

Minneapolis schools will close in-person classes Wednesday through Friday, IIRC, as a precaution.  The NBA has sent a memo to teams telling them to prepare for possible game postponements.

Some read this as "oh see, everyone expects acquittal."  I think it's simply prudent, should the verdict be something readable as a slap on the wrist (or less).  I would expect MLB to be advising clubs similarly, but haven't seen anything.  With the Toledo video and Daunte Wright so fresh, tensions have to be very high anyway.

My son's school has canceled evening classes a couple of times in recent weeks, due to curfews and other offshoots of our recent social unrest.  I usually don't fear much for his safety, but this does bring home how serious the situation is.

I would not want to be a juror, judge, or anyone else involved in the Chauvin case.  Tensions are so high that no matter what the verdict is, someone on one side or another will be dissatisfied.  I hope I'm wrong and that all this tension can somehow lead to honest debate, then peace and justice, rather than more anger, destruction, or worse, bloodshed.

5 hours ago, BarretWallace said:

My son's school has canceled evening classes a couple of times in recent weeks, due to curfews and other offshoots of our recent social unrest.  I usually don't fear much for his safety, but this does bring home how serious the situation is.

I would not want to be a juror, judge, or anyone else involved in the Chauvin case.  Tensions are so high that no matter what the verdict is, someone on one side or another will be dissatisfied.  I hope I'm wrong and that all this tension can somehow lead to honest debate, then peace and justice, rather than more anger, destruction, or worse, bloodshed.

I hope as well. But, no question, Justice must precede Peace.

Good read about the state of American politics here:
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/19/us/democracy-gop-democrats-sectarianism.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

One short paragraph summarizes things nicely:

Whether religious or political, sectarianism is about two hostile identity groups who not only clash over policy and ideology, but see the other side as alien and immoral. It’s the antagonistic feelings between the groups, more than differences over ideas, that drive sectarian conflict.

The right wing talking heads have pushed this with regard to the left for many years.  Whether one feels the left felt this way about the right before...it's clear that the Trump and Covid eras have crystallized this feeling that has deeper roots in gun violence generally, and police violence more specifically.

5 hours ago, Pariah said:

This is where we are: George W. Bush as the voice of reason.

Bush tells Congress to cool it on 'harsh' immigration rhetoric, hopes to set 'more respectful' tone

To be fair, most everything he's said on his own since Cheney removed the hand up his backside has sounded pretty reasonable to me.

11 hours ago, pinecone said:

I hope as well. But, no question, Justice must precede Peace.

I generally agree with this. The rule of law must be honored by all concerned.

Individuals are responsible for their actions, and my hope is that the result of this trial is one that is broadly accepted. If it is not, peaceful demonstrations are of course protected in our democracy.

11 minutes ago, Iuz the Evil said:

I generally agree with this. The rule of law must be honored by all concerned.

Individuals are responsible for their actions, and my hope is that the result of this trial is one that is broadly accepted. If it is not, peaceful demonstrations are of course protected in our democracy.

I hear what you are saying, but justice, and the law are not the same. Justice must be seen to be done, if it is not seen, then the social contract frays and breaks.

On 1/8/2021 at 4:18 PM, Iuz the Evil said:

I disagree with the idea of violence as a mechanism to further political change. He does make compelling arguments, which I largely agree with aside from  that moment.

On 1/8/2021 at 5:12 PM, Iuz the Evil said:

I can accept that. I also think that the elected body politic can and should respond with all appropriate force to prevent such actions. I was dismayed that was not the case this week.

I’m not a pacifist, I am a strong believer in the Rule of Law. If it is acceptable to use violence when sufficiently outraged, or feels that they have a moral imperative to act, people make terrible and misinformed decisions that in retrospect are deeply regrettable. Mob rule does not appeal to me, however noble the intent. Process matters.

This remains my belief on violence as a tool for social change. That’s no different in the case of events three months later.

9 hours ago, pinecone said:

I hear what you are saying, but justice, and the law are not the same. Justice must be seen to be done, if it is not seen, then the social contract frays and breaks.

What one side perceives as justice, the other side will very likely perceive as injustice.  We're that far out of balance.  This has to be addressed before any consistent perception of justice can exist.

And, yes, it's a catch-22.