Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

13 hours ago, tkdguy said:

Would the Creepy Pics thread be a better place for that? No, I didn't look; my sanity is fragile enough already.

5 hours ago, Cygnia said:

For those that DID look, was it photoshopped or the real deal?

For me, it's actually hilarious more than terrifying.  And yes, it's photoshopped.

Tucker Carlson Condemned After Urging Viewers To Harass Strangers Wearing Masks

“They’re the aggressors,” Carlson said of people who wear masks during the segment. “It’s our job to brush them back and restore the society we were born in. So the next time you see someone in a mask on the sidewalk or on the bike path, do not hesitate. Ask politely but firmly, ‘Would you please take off your mask? Science shows there is no reason for you to be wearing it. Your mask is making me uncomfortable.’”

I'm hoping that Carlson can be arrested for inciting criminal activity.  Probably not, but free speech does have its limits, and this is, at least, getting close to the line.  Equating having your child wear a mask, to child abuse????  There's a series of tweets;  the first one includes this:

Serious question to lawyers: this is endangering those of us who wear masks. Can we file a class action suit against Fox for this reckless endangerment?

If Carlson can't be challenged legally, then...probably not.  But it's definitely worthwhile to see what might be possible. 

The only reason I can't put him as my Public Enemy #1 is, I'm not sure if some other Fox jackass might not be worse.  But from what I've seen...I used to consider Palin as the Republicans' attack dog.  Carlson is an alt-right rabid dog.

But this is more support for why I *don't* consider Trump to be the biggest problem.  CLOSE, but the reckless talking heads have more reach overall.

I would guess that Carlson is trying to be "clever" by reversing the script used against people who refused to wear masks.

The obvious rejoinder would seem to be to reverse the script right back: "I will wear a mask if I want. It's my RIGHT. You are infringing on my FREEDOM. And if FREEDOM makes you uncomfortable, that's your problem, snowflake."

Okay, that's probably escalatory and unhelpful. But I do find it tempting.

Dean Shomshak

44 minutes ago, Ragitsu said:

That's what you get for dunking your head in Lovecraft's pool.

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it.

7 minutes ago, Cancer said:

Frankly, Carlson would well be taking money from the Russians, since they are launching and funding a lot of anti-vaccination disinformation. 

Nature opinion piece about anti-vaccination disinformation and the Russians

What really disturbs me is that disinformation is so effective these days, with people either not blindly believing what they're told or not caring as long as it fits in their ideologies.

Completely ignores people who wear masks due to compromised immunity systems, who are undergoing chemotherapy, who have respiratory problems due to pollution or allergies. Carlson may or may not have thought of that, but that doesn't matter because he doesn't care. Agitating his ignorant, bigoted audience is good for his ratings.

On the "turnabout is fair play" front, this is an outstanding example of cancel-culture at its most toxic. I should also like to know why I should give a damn that my wearing a mask in public makes Carlson or anyone else uncomfortable.

I haven't had so much as a cold in over a year.

Less than a quarter of Americans have been vaccinated. While the risk to the rest of contracting COVID outdoors is minimal if they maintain social distance, that's often not possible. But Carlson is framing mask wearing as a political statement rather than a public health precaution, when it's the extreme right which has made not wearing a mask a political statement.

2 hours ago, Old Man said:

Covid measures literally cut flu season by 99%.  2020-21 had the lowest number of recorded influenza cases on record.

While I'm sure that COVID measures were a major factor, "recorded" influenza cases are (by the CDC website's definition) the listing of virus samples from state and local labs.

With so many people scared to death of going to doctor's offices and emergency rooms, I'd be shocked if there weren't whole swaths of people who didn't go to a doctor at all even though they had flu symptoms. 

That's also thought to be one of the reasons that cases of COVID have been underreported.

My GP doctor's offices and the offices my wife's GP doctor were each closed to in-person visits for any reasons for months. I think it was something like December before my doctor's office reopened in a limited manner. And my wife wouldn't have let me go to an emergency room for anything less than being on my death bed.

You can't test for influenza virus through tele-visits.

Federal agents raided Rudy Giuliani’s Manhattan home and office Wednesday, seizing computers and cellphones in a major escalation of the Justice Department’s investigation into the business dealings of former President Donald Trump’s personal lawyer...

The dual searches sent the strongest signal yet that he could eventually face federal charges.

https://apnews.com/article/rudy-giuliani-trump-investigation-warrant-7a413e1bbb819cb52cd402d64a982185

On 4/27/2021 at 11:06 AM, unclevlad said:

I'm hoping that Carlson can be arrested for inciting criminal activity.  Probably not, but free speech does have its limits, and this is, at least, getting close to the line.  Equating having your child wear a mask, to child abuse????  There's a series of tweets;  the first one includes this:

If Carlson can't be challenged legally, then...probably not.  But it's definitely worthwhile to see what might be possible. 

The only reason I can't put him as my Public Enemy #1 is, I'm not sure if some other Fox jackass might not be worse.  But from what I've seen...I used to consider Palin as the Republicans' attack dog.  Carlson is an alt-right rabid dog.

But this is more support for why I *don't* consider Trump to be the biggest problem.  CLOSE, but the reckless talking heads have more reach overall.

Yes.  Literally why I've been laying the potential death of the human race (and various other issues) at the feet of the right-wing "news machine" for a decade and counting now 😕

And Tucker personally has almost as much influence as trump does, and will probably live longer... and frankly is smarter than he is.