Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/06/01/trump-lost-generation-491474

A fascinating look at the "Trump effect" on the Republican Party, including:

“of the 293 Republicans who were serving in the Senate or House on Jan. 20, 2017 — the day of Trump’s inauguration — a full 132 (45 percent) are no longer in Congress or have announced their retirement or resignation.” 

34 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

Just make sure they don't have a MAGA sticker somewhere else.

Or at least, don't get caught doing the coloring when that's the case....

Or do them a favor and color in the MAGA sticker too. 

2 hours ago, unclevlad said:

Just make sure they don't have a MAGA sticker somewhere else.

Or at least, don't get caught doing the coloring when that's the case....

I mean, vandalism is not actually recommended. But I thought it was funny to think about. 

Facebook Plans to End Hands-Off Approach to Politicians' Posts

it will no longer keep posts by politicians up on its site by default if their speech breaks its rules...

The change...is a retreat from a policy introduced less than two years ago, when the company said speech from politicians was newsworthy and should not be policed...

politicians’ posts will no longer be presumed newsworthy, said the people with knowledge of the plans, who spoke on the condition of anonymity. Politicians will be subject to Facebook’s content guidelines that prohibit harassment, discrimination or other harmful speech

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/03/technology/facebook-politicians-posts.html

Woot!

12 minutes ago, BoloOfEarth said:

Don't know that it really belongs in the Political thread, but figured I'd be safer putting this here.

Organizer cuts off veteran's mic when he discusses role black people played in origins of Memorial Day.

Really?!?  Honestly?!?

9 minutes ago, TrickstaPriest said:

Yep

On the plus side...

from Speaker's Comments About Freed Slaves and Original Memorial Day Censored at Hudson Event | WKSU

Statement from the Facebook page of the American Legion — Department of Ohio:

It is clear and evident through the statement sent to our Department that the Officers of American Legion Post 464 intentionally censored Lt. Col Bernard Kemter, US Army (Ret.) during his Memorial Day speech hosted by American Legion Post 464 of Hudson, Ohio.
This action was highly inconsiderate and proved to be a feeble judgment call made by the Officers of Post 464 and not at all aligned with the Principles, Pillars, and People, of The American Legion. Not acknowledging or discussing history that involves people of a different race and color is akin to eliminating or making invisible the fact that people of color exist and were/are part of this vital piece of history regarding a ceremony that veterans, families of veterans, and community members, hold reverent.
Therefore, Department Commander Roger Friend asks for the resignation of James E. Garrison, Post 464 Adjutant, and Cindy Suchan, Auxiliary President of Post 464 effective immediately. A formal letter from Commander Roger Friend has been sent to the said parties and a decision for the existence of this Post and a trial-board hearing for this incident is currently pending.

1 hour ago, BoloOfEarth said:

Don't know that it really belongs in the Political thread, but figured I'd be safer putting this here.

Organizer cuts off veteran's mic when he discusses role black people played in origins of Memorial Day.

Really?!?  Honestly?!?

Dishonestly, actually.

It seems to me that when I come across actual examples of "cancel culture," they're usually coming from the Right.

5 hours ago, archer said:

Facebook Plans to End Hands-Off Approach to Politicians' Posts

it will no longer keep posts by politicians up on its site by default if their speech breaks its rules...

The change...is a retreat from a policy introduced less than two years ago, when the company said speech from politicians was newsworthy and should not be policed...

politicians’ posts will no longer be presumed newsworthy, said the people with knowledge of the plans, who spoke on the condition of anonymity. Politicians will be subject to Facebook’s content guidelines that prohibit harassment, discrimination or other harmful speech

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/03/technology/facebook-politicians-posts.html

Woot!

Rick DeSantis and Florida just signed in a law that politicians can't be banned from facebook in Florida. This might be an answer to that

CES

Neat trick enforcing such a law, given the nonlocality of the internet and that Facebook is not based in Florida.

Some years back, the Economist's team of futurists wargamed out a scenario in which Facebook and the EU came into direct conflict over how Facebook operates. The EU caved within a week. While I am deeply uneasy about any private company having that much power, I would not mind seeing Florida Republicans smacked down over this.

Dean Shomshak

1 hour ago, Starlord said:

In my experience all my Trump loving acquaintances spend half their time on Facebook complaining about how much they hate Facebook and that they're leaving Facebook, yet I still see them posting day after day, month after month, year after year....

Are your acquaintances Russian bots?

7 hours ago, Cygnia said:

Incidents like that make me think Ohio wished it was part of the losing side in the Civil War...

Racism isn't limited to the South. My mother's family is from Pennsylvania and my father's from Alabama and in visiting both locales growing up, I can tell you I saw a heck of a lot more overt racism in Pennsylvania.

1 hour ago, Pattern Ghost said:

Racism isn't limited to the South. My mother's family is from Pennsylvania and my father's from Alabama and in visiting both locales growing up, I can tell you I saw a heck of a lot more overt racism in Pennsylvania.

Grew up in central Mass...sad to say that proud racist northern rednecks are a thing up there. :(

National Review Confirms ‘Startling’ Report On Trump’s Current Grasp Of Reality