Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

30 minutes ago, archer said:

Maddow pointed out that if the gun rights advocates had done even a cursory background check on the fake school that they would have easily discovered the school was a fake, the school website was a newly-created fake, there were no students, and the award that they were to receive had never existed or been given out to anyone in the past.

The people pulling the stunt didn't try to cover their tracks or make it hard for the targets to figure out it was all fake. They just assumed the targets would fall for it without question.

And they did.

Now wait just a minute. Are you suggesting, sir, that there is or ought to be some kind of process or policy for determining whether information is factually accurate before acting on it?

What a radical you are!

16 minutes ago, Pariah said:

Now wait just a minute. Are you suggesting, sir, that there is or ought to be some kind of process or policy for determining whether information is factually accurate before acting on it?

What a radical you are!

I, sir, am an idealist, not a radical!

I would challenge you to a duel with salami swords but I have this trick knee, you see, which prevents me from duels on a field of honor.

1 hour ago, archer said:

Rudy Giuliani’s Law License Suspended Over ‘Demonstrably False’ Statements

https://www.mediaite.com/politics/breaking-rudy-giulianis-law-license-suspended/

“We conclude that there is uncontroverted evidence that respondent communicated demonstrably false and misleading statements to courts, lawmakers and the public at large in his capacity as lawyer for former President Donald J. Trump and the Trump campaign in connection with Trump’s failed effort at reelection in 2020,” the court found. “These false statements were made to improperly bolster respondent’s narrative that due to widespread voter fraud, victory in the 2020 United States presidential election was stolen from his client. We conclude that respondent’s conduct immediately threatens the public interest and warrants interim suspension from the practice of law.”

The first real act of accountability...however small....that I've seen in a long time.

3 hours ago, archer said:

If we picked a place half way between us...how does the Bunny Ranch in Nevada sound as a field of dishonor?

I spent significant chunks of the last two weeks driving across Eastern and Southern Wyoming. Bunny Ranch, Nevada sounds, somehow, even less interesting.

6 hours ago, archer said:

Rudy Giuliani’s Law License Suspended Over ‘Demonstrably False’ Statements

https://www.mediaite.com/politics/breaking-rudy-giulianis-law-license-suspended/

“We conclude that there is uncontroverted evidence that respondent communicated demonstrably false and misleading statements to courts, lawmakers and the public at large in his capacity as lawyer for former President Donald J. Trump and the Trump campaign in connection with Trump’s failed effort at reelection in 2020,” the court found. “These false statements were made to improperly bolster respondent’s narrative that due to widespread voter fraud, victory in the 2020 United States presidential election was stolen from his client. We conclude that respondent’s conduct immediately threatens the public interest and warrants interim suspension from the practice of law.”

Slate rather gleefully (to no one's surprise) dissects the ruling in great detail:

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2021/06/rudy-giuliani-law-license-suspended-hilarious.html

Months back, ATC interviewed a law professor who suggested Giuliani's actions merited disbarment. I guess he called it.

Dean Shomshak

And apropos of nothing, after the years I spent working weekends in my father's rabbit slaughterhouse, the name "Bunny Ranch" fills me with terror and loathing.

Dean Shomshak

6 hours ago, DShomshak said:

Months back, ATC interviewed a law professor who suggested Giuliani's actions merited disbarment. I guess he called it.

Dean Shomshak

And apropos of nothing, after the years I spent working weekends in my father's rabbit slaughterhouse, the name "Bunny Ranch" fills me with terror and loathing.

Dean Shomshak

Did "Watership Down" give you nightmares as well?

8 hours ago, DShomshak said:

1 hour ago, Cygnia said:

Did "Watership Down" give you nightmares as well?

And were the rabbits being slaughtered, or were they the ones doing the slaughtering?   (I'm picturing the scene from Monty Python and the Holy Grail.  "Right!  Rabbit stew, comin' right up!")

22 hours ago, archer said:

I, sir, am an idealist, not a radical!

I would challenge you to a duel with salami swords but I have this trick knee, you see, which prevents me from duels on a field of honor.

You've heard the bit about beating swords into plowshares, I presume. But if you have swords made of salami? I suggest we get together and turn them into sandwiches. What kind of rolls should we bring?

1 minute ago, Pariah said:

You've heard the bit about beating swords into plowshares, I presume. But if you have swords made of salami? I suggest we get together and turn them into sandwiches. What kind of rolls should we bring?

We could have hoagie's heroes.

But many people say they can't be beat.

9 hours ago, csyphrett said:

THe bunnies are hookers, Dean

CES 

I'm aware of that, thank you. I still find the name... unpleasant.

Fortunately, I read Watership Down years before my father decided to make rabbits his side hustle. Meat for grocery stores, blood plasma and eyes for the UW School of Medicine, and brains for a company that, IIRC, used them to make a blood coagulant. One of my jobs was cleaning blood and membranes from the little bunny brains. But it means I can honestly include "Brain Washer" on my resume.

Dean Shomshak