Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

13 minutes ago, DShomshak said:

One of my jobs was cleaning blood and membranes from the little bunny brains. But it means I can honestly include "Brain Washer" on my resume.

Could be worse -- when someone asks me how I managed to pay for college, I can honestly tell that that I used to strip and grind for cash.

I was materials science and engineering -- spent summers working in a concrete research lab, stripping and grinding samples.

Unfortunately, they have a case.  The law explicitly created preferential treatment.  It's a paradox in trying to redress discrimination;  the laws attempting to prevent discrimination block efforts to give favorable treatment...because that is in itself an act of discrimination.

I'm not *happy* with the Texas ruling, but it also doesn't surprise me at all.  

13 hours ago, Pariah said:

What's it gonna take to restore normality to this country?

Trump supporter warns CNN reporter of 'civil war' if former president not reinstated 'soon'

Complete capitulation and the whole world providing affirmation of their most rash beliefs and feelings. 

To be even less charitable, essentially being treated as princesses regardless of what reality is.

edit: I wonder what their plan is for climate change, given the southwest is running out of water.

13 hours ago, Dr. MID-Nite said:

That ship has sailed....

I have to disagree.  That ship never existed.  It was less real than the Discovery One...but Trump does do a good job of being HAL, so the confusion may be understandable.

On one hand, the threat of a civil war is just hot air, IMO.  And, realistically, why should their minds have changed?  It was utter delusion from the start, and nothing has happened to disturb that delusion.  On the other hand, tho, you do have to be concerned that there's enough of a mass of these fools to potentially cause a serious problem.

42 minutes ago, Pariah said:

Probably best to post this here rather than start an individual thread for it:

Donald Rumsfeld, The Controversial Architect Of The Iraq War, Has Died

In this, he is arguably one of the most influential political figures of the last 20 years.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2021/06/30/donald-rumsfeld-what-the-world-got-wrong-497275

1 hour ago, Pariah said:

Well, if buying senators and representatives isn't enough to get your point across, I suppose you can buy the National Guard, too.

GOP donor funds South Dakota National Guard troops in Texas

Pure political theatrics. Fifty Guards will make absolutely no difference on the border. This is just to stir up the Republican voter base. But when those Guards signed up I'm sure they never expected to be deployed as mercenaries bought by a private citizen.

It also feels like a very questionable deployment...probably legal, I suspect, but questionable.  A governor has broad latitude to do this, but ordering a deployment should still require a plausible mission statement.  I don't see it here, save for the actual border states perhaps.

And it's a bad idea to force the Guard personnel to deploy for what is, I agree, a purely political stunt.  And one which has no clear boundaries...how long will this last?  The minimum commitment is 3 years, so the troops sent commonly have no choice but to go.  This can't have a positive effect on recruiting.

41 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

Pure political theatrics. Fifty Guards will make absolutely no difference on the border. This is just to stir up the Republican voter base. But when those Guards signed up I'm sure they never expected to be deployed as mercenaries bought by a private citizen.

Just wait until they have a "buy two and get one free" sale and issue loyalty punch cards so you come back to them the next time you want to buy a National Guard.

Marketplace just discussed gthe business impact of the indictments against the Trump business group. Noted that all Trump's debt just became even riskier; which means that's worth less. IE, if a bank that holds, say, $100 million of Trump's debt but decides to sell the debt and get the money now... they won't be able to sell it for $100 million. A buyer will insist on a discount, based on their estimate of the odds that Trump doesn't pay at all. And those odds just became worse.

Dean Shomshak