Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

In a similar vein, more personally...there is a part of me that says, yeah, jerks, you're too stupid to live, so I won't be mourning at your funeral.  And another part that says...well, yeah, but those hospital and life insurance tabs are paid by everyone eventually, so it's costing ME money because they're so stupid.

These aren't admirable;  the first is callous, the second selfish.  But they are real feelings that need to be acknowledged, if not used to make policy.  Dean's comments are nothing I haven't thought myself...and hated myself, to a point, for thinking them.  Which, of course, is another side of the problem...

As a reminder, I asked whether such a callous and crass analysis might impel more conservatives to get vaccinated. But yeah, the blowback would probably be worse than any gain in lives saved.

On the other hand... Choices have consequences. I accept the consequences of my own bad choices. I will not weep much for people who refuse to save themselves from Covid, whatever their politics, when they endanger so many people who cannot get vaccinated because of jobs, transportation, child care, or medical issues.

It's not nice, but I won't pretend to be a better person than I am.

Dean Shomshak

The structure unfortunately allows people to avoid responsibility for their choices.  There was an op-ed in the NYT earlier this week, suggesting that insurance companies should start denying claims to Covid patients who have chosen not to be vaccinated, on the premise that this was avoidable, or a fundamentally risky choice like some activities  Or like allowing higher rates for smokers relative to non-smokers.  Your choice has consequences.

This probably can't be done, tho, without full authorization of the vaccine.  Which is understandable;  what it points out is that the approval process is intended to deny first, accept second.

A Texas GOP official on Facebook on July 30th, “In 6 months, we’ve gone from the vax ending the pandemic, to you can still get Covid even if vaxxed, to you can pass Covid onto others even if vaxxed, to you can still die of Covid even if vaxxed, to the unvaxxed are killing the vaxxed.”

In previous Facebook posts from Apley, he had showed support for mask burning and called incentives to encourage vaccinations “disgusting.”

On August 1st he was admitted to the hospital with COVID and was immediately put on a ventilator due to his extremely grave condition.

He passed away at 3 a.m. on August 4th. The funeral service is not yet scheduled.

He is survived by his wife and 5 month old son, both of who tested positive for COVID. 

https://www.star-telegram.com/news/coronavirus/article253276493.html

< personal comments on the story redacted >

5 minutes ago, TrickstaPriest said:

Don't read the comments unless you want to get very angry.

Pretty sure this won't change unless a terribly lethal variant starts to spread - people have to be dying in literal droves for people to take it seriously apparently.  Even then I'm sure it'll end up as "its the vaccine killing people, not the virus!"

I will grant that I didn't bother scanning down too far, but they seemed largely business as usual.  

Which is more depressing than anything.

One comment might be the closest to capturing the state of things.  "I just simply can't believe ANY news program.  Lies from all sides...."  It's not whether you agree with it, but the degree of distrust and disillusionment it suggests.  I rather suspect that comment represents the silent third camp that is larger than we expect.

Could also be a consequence of the emotional battering that's been *so* intense for the last 20 months or so.

49 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

I will grant that I didn't bother scanning down too far, but they seemed largely business as usual.  

Which is more depressing than anything.

One comment might be the closest to capturing the state of things.  "I just simply can't believe ANY news program.  Lies from all sides...."  It's not whether you agree with it, but the degree of distrust and disillusionment it suggests.  I rather suspect that comment represents the silent third camp that is larger than we expect.

Could also be a consequence of the emotional battering that's been *so* intense for the last 20 months or so.

My local classic rock radio morning show does not deny all the bad stuff going on.  What they do is continue to mention what is still right with the world, often in simple day to day interactions at the grocery store, a restaurant, etc.  Their frequent reminders that there's still good in this world are wonderfully refreshing.

4 hours ago, archer said:

A Texas GOP official on Facebook on July 30th, “In 6 months, we’ve gone from the vax ending the pandemic, to you can still get Covid even if vaxxed, to you can pass Covid onto others even if vaxxed, to you can still die of Covid even if vaxxed, to the unvaxxed are killing the vaxxed.”

In previous Facebook posts from Apley, he had showed support for mask burning and called incentives to encourage vaccinations “disgusting.”

On August 1st he was admitted to the hospital with COVID and was immediately put on a ventilator due to his extremely grave condition.

He passed away at 3 a.m. on August 4th. The funeral service is not yet scheduled.

He is survived by his wife and 5 month old son, both of who tested positive for COVID. 

https://www.star-telegram.com/news/coronavirus/article253276493.html

< personal comments on the story redacted >

As my great grand used to say..."Stupid is a capital crime".

13 hours ago, unclevlad said:

With unfortunate collateral damage.

We can hope for a silver lining.  Hey, you stupid denier types!  How about thinking about your little kids?????

One of the core grievances against liberals that Arlene Hochschild found among her Trump-loving Tea Party types in rural Louisiana: Stop telling us what to feel.

Dean Shomshak

2 hours ago, Tom said:

Tucker Carlson: What the Fox News host is doing in Hungary https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-58104200

INT:WTF

Long NYT Opinion piece on this that I saw a few minutes ago.  

We shouldn't be surprised;  Carlson's got an extensive track record of antipathy to diversity.

There is an interesting, contrasting story in the NYT as well.  One of the points was that strong-arm, authoritative, patriarchal politicians have a perception advantage.  The gap from authoritative to authoritarian isn't great.  

1 hour ago, DShomshak said:

One of the core grievances against liberals that Arlene Hochschild found among her Trump-loving Tea Party types in rural Louisiana: Stop telling us what to feel.

Dean Shomshak

Nobody should have to be told to feel common human compassion, especially toward their own children. But it seems that's where we are.

Pro-Trump Pastor Who Said Trump Would Be Back in Office in June Now Says He Was Inaugurated on March 4th - as the 19th president of the United States of America

https://www.mediaite.com/trump/pro-trump-pastor-who-said-trump-would-be-back-in-office-in-june-now-says-he-was-inaugurated-in-march/

I shudder at the towering intellectual giants arrayed against us.