Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

39 minutes ago, archer said:

Eventually some major hospital will get hit by one of these lawsuits.

Texas Medical Center in Houston, for example, is the largest hospital in the world, sees 10 million patients per year, and has 106,000 employees.

So you're going to get a judge decide to shut it down because some doctor fudged the line on whether or not a single procedure was okay?

San Antonio’s Methodist Hospital?

Baptist Medical Center in San Antonio?

Baylor University Medical Center in Dallas?

I'm guessing that the hospitals have enough political pull to deflect a shutdown order.

In the "sauce for the goose" camp, I'm seeing people suggest that blue states should use this law as a template for gun control legislation. What could possibly go wrong with that?

14 minutes ago, Ternaugh said:

In the "sauce for the goose" camp, I'm seeing people suggest that blue states should use this law as a template for gun control legislation. What could possibly go wrong with that?

In the realm of what could possibly go wrong with that:

"So you're going to try to grab my guns? Good luck prying them with your cold, dead hands...."

36 minutes ago, Ternaugh said:

"Suggest" is a little too strong a term for what I've seen.  "Observe" is closer.  "Suggest" feels like "let's do this";  "observe" is "hey, something like that could be used for OUR platform."

And that's the core problem.  This can balloon.  Lessee...

--gun control

--drunk driving

--using your cell phone while driving

--prostitution/soliciting

--we've had watering restrictions...not sure if we have them right now but they'll spread, so violations of the rules here.  Ours was even/odd days of the week, not between 10 am and 6 pm.

--Denver had fire bans...not even in a home fireplace...when an inversion layer formed in the winter, or was likely to form.  Inversion layers trap smoke big time, so wood burning is a significant problem.  

--How about violations of mask mandates?

If this tactic gains traction and is deemed legal, ya gotta figure that any of these measures might get passed in some places.  Yes, it becomes a vigilante society.

18 hours ago, unclevlad said:

"Suggest" is a little too strong a term for what I've seen.  "Observe" is closer.  "Suggest" feels like "let's do this";  "observe" is "hey, something like that could be used for OUR platform."

And that's the core problem.  This can balloon.  Lessee...

--gun control

--drunk driving

--using your cell phone while driving

--prostitution/soliciting

--we've had watering restrictions...not sure if we have them right now but they'll spread, so violations of the rules here.  Ours was even/odd days of the week, not between 10 am and 6 pm.

--Denver had fire bans...not even in a home fireplace...when an inversion layer formed in the winter, or was likely to form.  Inversion layers trap smoke big time, so wood burning is a significant problem.  

--How about violations of mask mandates?

If this tactic gains traction and is deemed legal, ya gotta figure that any of these measures might get passed in some places.  Yes, it becomes a vigilante society.

Or flip the script. A law permitting suit against doctors that refuse to perform abortions, or against pharmacists who fail to provide birth control or abortion drugs.

I am no lawyer, but even I can tell it's just a very bad place to go, legally speaking.

Dean Shomshak

I also note that all five of the justices who refused to block the Texas law pending review are Roman Catholics.

For a long time, American Catholics faced the accusation that they were (or might be) more loyal to the Pope than they were to the US. This was raised against John F. Kennedy, IIRC. An ugly smear, but... Well, when Catholic bishops are calling for Catholic politicians to be excommunicated if they don't place Catholic dogma forbidding abortion above American law and court precedent that allows it, a person with a suspicious mind might suggest an appearance of conflict of interest on the part of those five conservative Catholic justices. Perhaps the Catholics on the court should have recused themselves.

As a historical oddity, I have heard that the few justices who aren't Catholic are all Jewish. Currently, no Protestants on the SCOTUS (let alone other sects or faiths). The Court isn't all white men anymore, but in this other sense there still isn't much diversity.

Dean Shomshak

Also, had this 1982 Supreme Court case pointed out to me.

LARKIN ET AL.
v.
GRENDEL'S DEN, INC.

https://h2o.law.harvard.edu/cases/5577

Apparently, a state can't in all cases delegate regulatory duties to private individuals or private organizations because it violates the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment. It has to pick and choose when it can according to whether the private organization is substantially doing the regulatory duty using the same standard as a state agency would.

In the Texas abortion case, however, the state is attempting to devolve regulatory power onto private individuals or private organizations which no state agency even has. That's violating the precedent which Larkin v Grendel set up.

Which makes any court challenge to the Texas law much easier since the Supreme Court has already set up guidelines for how to a state may do such a thing. And how it may not....

So now Texas has passed, and Abbott has signed, a bill allowing people to sue social media platforms when they're tossed off for violations of their terms of use.

OK, this is apparently largely similar to a Florida law that's been blocked on clear First Amendment grounds, but damn.  This is beginning to feel a lot like the abortion restriction tactics.  Throw up wild, overly broad bans at first, but keep pushing and pushing and tweaking and pushing until you get 80% of what you wanted in the first place.

QAnon has to be dancing with glee.  My gosh, social media is bad enough NOW.

Is Abbott trying to take over the Trump Train?

1 hour ago, unclevlad said:

Got it in one. 

I mean, there are so many Trumplodytes still out there, and The Donald is eventually going to need a successor. Why not Abbott?

35 minutes ago, Pariah said:

Got it in one. 

I mean, there are so many Trumplodytes still out there, and The Donald is eventually going to need a successor. Why not Abbott?

I didn't say it after the abortion ban, so....can't claim more than got it in two.

The background picture on my secondary Windows box came up today with a gorgeous shot of a small vineyard, with hills and a lake.  Spiez, Switzerland...SE of Bern, western edge what looks like a glacial moraine lake called the Thunersee.  Fortunately, Texas remains about 50-60 miles away......

This is perhaps more news but...

First:  the story.  A suspect has been arrested in the shooting of an El Paso lawyer and her husband, where she died.  Local news is reporting that the shooter left a manifesto claiming his targets were a "Satanic abortion cult" and that they had Biden and LBGTQ posters.  

Sick enough, right?  Whackjob of the first water.

Guess what?  The people he shot didn't have those.  He didn't even shoot those he was after.  My only mild consolation is, the guy should fry;  this is Texas, so the death penalty is on the table.  And this guy totally deserves it.

This is 80% individual nutjob...and IMO 10% the agitation Trump set up over especially the last 2 years, and 10% the whole hate campaign of too much of the right-wing media.

On 9/9/2021 at 8:33 PM, unclevlad said:

I didn't say it after the abortion ban, so....can't claim more than got it in two.

The background picture on my secondary Windows box came up today with a gorgeous shot of a small vineyard, with hills and a lake.  Spiez, Switzerland...SE of Bern, western edge what looks like a glacial moraine lake called the Thunersee.  Fortunately, Texas remains about 50-60 miles away......

But ... they have already stolen your water ... what's next?

18 minutes ago, Cygnia said:

It was then, the authors say, Trump began to shout. “No, no, no! You don’t understand, Mike. You can do this. I don’t want to be your friend anymore if you don’t do this,” said Trump, who, by chronology, is an adult.

Mike Pence and Dan Quayle. Now there's a meeting of minds for the ages. :rolleyes:

On 9/9/2021 at 9:34 PM, unclevlad said:

He and DeSantis appear to be vying for the status of, "out-Trump's Trump."

They seem to consider this a winning re-election strategy. The way their approval ratings are dropping, they might want to rethink that.

10 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

Mike Pence and Dan Quayle. Now there's a meeting of minds for the ages. :rolleyes:

He and DeSantis appear to be vying for the status of, "out-Trump's Trump."

They seem to consider this a winning re-election strategy. The way their approval ratings are dropping, they might want to rethink that.

It's triangulating. First you move to the right for the primaries, then you move back far enough to get back the votes you lost. So, anyway, ready for Ron DeSantis, AOC's pal from the 'hood?

13 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

Yeah, the ages of 12 and under.

45 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

I don't think Ron or Greg are that smart. Every time they face public backlash over one of their moronic decrees, they double-down on it even harder.

Not that surprising. It's page one of the Donald Trump playbook.