Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

4 hours ago, Cygnia said:

This has to be one of the most truly chilling stories I've ever read.

It's even surprising, somewhat...it was really THIS bad?  Realize:  this guy probably was part of vetting Amy Comey Barrett.

Nixon had his enemies list.  If Trump, nightmare of nightmares, gets re-elected, it seems likely he'd reinstall this sycophant in a similar position.  Would it be an enemies list...or a list of those to be suppressed by any means necessary?  Trump did inestimable damage to the institutions and operation of government by his systemic disruption;  sounds like this'd rise to another level where seemingly every position would be filled based on one overriding issue:  Trump loyalty.  

What an utter nightmare.

https://harpers.org/archive/2021/09/the-third-force-stupidity-and-transcendence/

EDIT: I'm sorry, I can't make the link work even though I'm sure I typed it correctly. Strangely, AOHell doesn't let me copy and paste links anymore. Try Googling the article title and Keizer's name.

As Parieah says, fear makes people stupid. But what's going on in the US right now goes far beyond run of the mill stupidity. As Garret Keizer says in his essay "The Third Force: On Stupidity and Transcendence," ordinary stupidity falls in a pit because it isn't paying attention. Aggressive stupidity goes looking for pits to jump in. It's a denial of reality and a concomitant lust for transcendence, a yearning to escape the murky, tangling, complicated world of fact and fly into a fantasy world that seems clean and simple by comparison.

Iwould call this "magical thinking" rather than "stupidity," but the result is the same. Denial of realities that seem too painful or humiliating to one's pride *will* catch up with you eventually.

(And I am not sure I agree with Keizer's diagnosis that the ultimate cause is alienation from labor, with cure of better wages, that he tacks on at the end. Better wages would be a Good Thong anyway, but I see American neofascism as growing far more from dissonance between myth and reality than from anything for which government might find a material policy solution. As Arlene Hochschilde found in her sociological examination of Louisiana Tea Party Trumpists, Strangers in their Own Land, these tend to be materially comfortable people who merely feel that other people -- especially minorities -- are getting greater rewards than they are, without having earned them; and behind that, a loss of their own sense of prestige.)

Dean Shomshak

Jimmy Kimmel Trolls Rep. Lauren Boebert With An Unforgettable Stunt

They took some of her actual videos and played them for people on the street, telling them that they were Saturday Night Live sketches. Most of the people who saw them had no trouble believing that it was a comedy routine and were fairly shocked to learn that these were actual quotes from a sitting Congressperson.

https://harpers.org/archive/2021/09/the-third-force-stupidity-and-transcendence/

This link just worked for me.  Dean, your link somehow is cut short, that's why it doesn't work.

Good read.  STRONGLY recommended.  One brief quote:

Gross stupidity invites negative consequences; it looks for a pit. There’s an element of willfulness to it: let the oceans rise, let the virus rage, you can’t scare me.

Yeah.

Seriously, people.  Highly recommended.

1 hour ago, Lord Liaden said:

The people he showed those to are New Yorkers. Mostly not Boebert's target audience. That doesn't necessarily make them smarter, but they tend to be more aware of the wider reality.

Kimmel's show films in Hollywood, California, so I doubt that they were New Yorkers. The rest probably still stands, though.

54 minutes ago, wcw43921 said:

NYT says his lawyers will appeal.

Who are they kidding?  The verdicts were by default because he completely refused to cooperate.  I wouldn't think any appeals court would even listen;  the ONLY thing he's doing is stalling.  A thought here...I'm kinda wondering if his lawyers might find themselves in hot water for this.  No, they maybe can't be blamed for an uncooperative client, but if it is, as I kinda think, a completely frivolous appeal...then they might be accountable.

Looks like they're kicking her out of the club ... even though she continues to be one of the most Conservative lawmakers in the House. Loyalty to Trump matters more than actually being a Conservative, I guess.

Wyoming GOP votes to no longer recognize Rep. Liz Cheney as a Republican

46 minutes ago, Pariah said:

Looks like they're kicking her out of the club ... even though she continues to be one of the most Conservative lawmakers in the House. Loyalty to Trump matters more than actually being a Conservative, I guess.

The 31-29 vote Saturday in Buffalo, Wyoming, by the state party central committee followed votes by local GOP officials in about one-third of Wyoming’s 23 counties to no longer recognize Cheney as a Republican. 

I foresee 31 tragic hunting accidents coming up.

2 hours ago, Pariah said:

Trump's "ideology" was never conservative, it was pro-Trump. 

Still, it's disappointing, albeit not entirely surprising, that it's still been a year, and they can't separate even this much from Trump.  

It's also a troubling sign for the mid-term elections.  Can't read too much into it, as it's just 1 state, but still a concern.

I agree that it's troubling, although not hopeless. Republicans are still a minority of Americans.

What I find more troubling is the number of Americans who believe political violence may be justified -- 18% of all adult Americans, and 30% of Republicans, according to a recent poll: https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2021/11/01/4-10-who-say-election-was-stolen-trump-say-violence-might-be-needed-save-america/

That's because liberals/progressives, etc. live in the real world where things are multifaceted and complicated. Reactionaries live in a world of black and white absolutes...no matter how much of a fantasy that world might be. It's easy to be consistent in your message when you don't have to acknowledge any other options.

1 hour ago, Dr. MID-Nite said:

That's because liberals/progressives, etc. live in the real world where things are multifaceted and complicated. Reactionaries live in a world of black and white absolutes...no matter how much of a fantasy that world might be. It's easy to be consistent in your message when you don't have to acknowledge any other options.

Got to disagree.  At least some progressives live in their own black and white world.  Different set of standards, sure, but can be equally intolerant and equally fantastic.

14 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

The Dark Side of the Force is supposed to be a faster, easier path to power. That does sound like Trump.

As opposed to Giuliani, who followed the Dark Side of the Farce.....

But you may be onto something there.
Wait...no.  Can't be.  Even the Sith practice control;  the difference is in how they're willing to use it.  And The Donald has never had any control.