Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

Great. What percentage are racists, in your view?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/opinions/clinton-wasnt-wrong-about-the-deplorables-among-trumps-supporters/2016/09/12/93720264-7932-11e6-beac-57a4a412e93a_story.html%3F0p19G%3De?client=ms-android-verizon

Looks like around half?

As a Californian who sees Donald Trump as an existential threat to aspects of the nation I hold dear, like equality and respect for people of different race or gender, I get it. Even joke about extending the wall (which I still don't believe will be built).

But don't be stupid, California is going nowhere. I wouldn't want to abandon my country to these people. And the country would crater financially.

We will just find ourselves fighting and litigating on the states rights side again. And being obstructionist on policy implementation. Honestly folks are already talking strategy for things like deconstructing the ACA (putting in place state laws that mirror it) and so forth. If the feds don't want to enforce it, fine, we can do it as a state. And insurance companies that want to do business in California can conform to the state regulations. Works for the auto industry and so forth. Unpleasant, but seems necessary. Likewise environmental impact studies and litigation around "the wall". Drag it out as long as possible, fight for every inch.

This week we will see a lot of emotional response. Behind the scenes folks are digging in for the long haul.

Coming together under President Trump? Yeah, that was never really an option. I suspect he'll put forward legislation that passes, some of it I might like. Most I'll likely be disturbed by. And some, I assume, will be appalling. Will be interesting to see what the Dems can block. They will certainly try, and they should.

It's going to be a long four years.

Okay, good articles. And I agree with a lot of them (which is probably why I think they're good ;) ). I still think voting for Trump is like setting your house on fire and trying to collect the insurance money while you're still in the building but I certainly think many underestimated the desperation and outrage of many rural areas.

Yeah, I think they actually voted in more of the same, unfortunately. Essentially, as far as areas like the cracked article talks about, the last four elections were made up of scares(this one being immigration, the last being immigration and gay marriage, the previous one being morals in government) that have no effect on their situation. Whip up a frenzy, then abandoned as soon as its over.

I think a strong focus on ALL our poor areas would do a lot more than coming together over any particular president.

Traditionally, American politics has always used the 'black threat' to whip up certain areas, and those areas were often also poor and high crime. In the end, both groups would still be in a bad situation.

If reasonable I will agree with his policies.  I will support his policies.  I will fight for his policies.  If successful I will praise his policies.

I will never agree with, support, praise, or fight for him as a human being.  There aren't enough inner cities schools in the world he could build, or press conference apologies saying 'I was just kidding', to make me forget or forgive the things he's said.

:rolleyes:   :rolleyes:   :rolleyes:   :rolleyes:   :rolleyes:

Amazing how people love to hate on California. I don't see that hate for New York, which is just as liberal.

Oh, were New Yorkers threatening to secede as well? I must have missed that.

And I don't actually hate California.  I'm not a big fan of the Raiders, and my ex is from the San Fernando valley, but in general, I think California is okay.

Also, while New York State is usually ignored, I hear a lot of gripes about New York City... heck, "New York City Values" was a sleight used in the primaries... so honestly, both it and Cali get plenty of @@@@ for being liberal bastions in my experience. 

Lately, Chicago has joined the list. We're just upfront about putting crooks in office.

True, California and New York (and Chicago, and.....) are liberal bastions.

I'm not bashing them for that.

I'm saying that it's stupid for people to assume that secession is the best solution--or even a solution at all--to the problem of this election.

Yeah, I think they actually voted in more of the same, unfortunately. Essentially, as far as areas like the cracked article talks about, the last four elections were made up of scares(this one being immigration, the last being immigration and gay marriage, the previous one being morals in government) that have no effect on their situation. Whip up a frenzy, then abandoned as soon as its over.

I think a strong focus on ALL our poor areas would do a lot more than coming together over any particular president.

Traditionally, American politics has always used the 'black threat' to whip up certain areas, and those areas were often also poor and high crime. In the end, both groups would still be in a bad situation.

If the poor in both rural and urban areas ever get organized in this country, the 1 percent should be very very afraid...

Pardon my pseudo marxism there

If the poor in both rural and urban areas ever get organized in this country, the 1 percent should be very very afraid...

Pardon my pseudo marxism there

No problem.

I just happened to stop in at an old forum I used to go to. It was usually a really pleasant place. Wow, it's an ugly scene in there with the politics.

I like the Hero forums.

Well, none of us wants to get Banned or Moderated, so there's that.

But yeah, I find the folks here are pretty okay. :thumbup:

(I'm currently on a two-week hiatus from Facebook, myself. I've heard enough from others to know that I don't need to be there right now.)

Yeah. - Post election has been much worse than pre election.,

I've ended up blocking some posters, not because I don't like them anymore, but I am trying to block all politics on facebook. I have politically passionate friends. I had a nice private conversation with them about it.

Pariah - our Mutual Gothic friend was one.

No he doesn't. There's no practical way to compel a sitting president to testify or charge one with a crime. The check is impeachment and removal, and that won't happen.

Unless the mainstream GOP is planning to install Pence as their president. But I agree it's highly unlikely in the near future.

Oh, were New Yorkers threatening to secede as well? I must have missed that.

And I don't actually hate California.  I'm not a big fan of the Raiders, and my ex is from the San Fernando valley, but in general, I think California is okay.

Glad to hear that. Still doesn't change that a lot of red states hate California with a passion.

And like Iuz said, nobody's really serious about secession. Protesters weren't any more serious about it 4 years ago. People are upset, and they're expressing it. Like I said, just them vent out their frustrations. There will probably be demonstrations as far as the Inauguration, but nothing will out of it.

The only glimmer of hope for anything I'd consider good to come out of the Trump Presidency might be finally doing something about China's invidious trading position and expansionism.

Trump has said he's going to do something about the balance of trade with China. Maybe he'll succeed in building a global consensus to put pressure on them to stop their state subsidy of all their industry (achieved via the artificial maintenance of the Yuan at below-market-rate values). Maybe he'll succeed in getting the world to stand up against the systematic and government sanctioned flouting of international IP rules. Maybe he'll stand up to them in the South China Sea. While he's at it, perhaps he'll put pressure on them to give their citizens the freedoms most of the rest of the world have come to view as desirable societal goods.

But he probably won't. Making it work would hurt. Even if the long term gains of having China be an actual equal partner in global free trade (rather than a beneficiary of unequal trading)

It astonishes me that not a single one of Trump's supporters has any issue with that whatsoever, as far as I can tell.

I forget who it was who said this--it might have been someone on this forum--but this quote has stuck with me--

"Clinton's supporters support her in spite of her negative aspects.  Trump's supporters support him because of his negative aspects."

I'm afraid I don't remember it exactly, but that's the gist.

It astonishes me that not a single one of Trump's supporters has any issue with that whatsoever, as far as I can tell.

Winning is more important than anything to people.  Their guy won so that's the end of it.  It could come out that he rigged Florida and his followers would claim it was justified to counter the unfair media bias and unregistered illegal voters that the election officials (paid off by the establishment) were allowing to vote.  The silent majority of Republicans (who plugged their noses or chugged Pepto Bismal as they voted for him) would roll their eyes but continue to silently enjoy maintaining control of the House and Senate.