Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

Team Trump Struggling to Fill National-Security Jobs

Team Trump is struggling to fill numerous key slots or even attract many candidates because hundreds have either sworn they’d never work in a Trump administration or have directly turned down requests to join

I'll admit, my first thought was schadenfreude, but my second was that I hope he does find respectable talent. We all need those posts filled.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/10/politics/steve-bannon-trump-chief-of-staff/index.html

So, that Breitbart founder Steve Bannon who folks have been debating how deeply he's involved in white nationalism? Possible Chief of Staff.

SMH. Wow. I was hoping Palin being bandied about as Secretary of the Interior was rock bottom for appointments. Not there yet I guess.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/10/politics/steve-bannon-trump-chief-of-staff/index.html

So, that Breitbart founder Steve Bannon who folks have been debating how deeply he's involved in white nationalism? Possible Chief of Staff.

SMH. Wow. I was hoping Palin being bandied about as Secretary of the Interior was rock bottom for appointments. Not there yet I guess.

I cannot, in good conscience, like your post. Eck.

Shaun King, of Black Lives Matter fame, put out a request for people who have experienced any incidents of overt racism, islamophobia, homophobia etc since the election to contact him with their story. He's gotten over 3000 emails so far. It's been 2 days.

Trump needs to go on tv and unambiguously dissociate himself from hate groups, racism, etc. Meeting with the Khans would also be a good start.

I've had multiple staff report incidents to me since Wednesday. And I'm in Napa, California with a 66% Clinton vote in the northern Bay Area.

Edit: just to be clear, that'd be refusal to accept services from a person of color (stated outright), explicit commentary on the sexual attractiveness of a clinical staff by a community stakeholder, threats about deportation, and many nasty comments. In essentially 1.5 days. With a grand total of 2 such incidents in the preceding month. Could be coincidence, but seems suspicious.

Cannot imagine what is going on out there. The emboldened racism (and sexual harassment) is pretty ugly.

From what I've read, if you get rid of the subsidies and mandates, while keeping the pre-existing condition provisions(which the GOP bill allegedly does), it's entirely possible that more than the 20 million new insured would lose their coverage. IOW, More people would be uninsured than there were BEFORE Obamacare. Yeah, good plan, guys. You should definitely pass that, then hold open town hall meetings in your districts, like the Dems did during Obamacare. Should be fun for you.

Covered California does draw upon the federal program to subsidize coverage for low income members. So if the federal program is completely axed, Covered California while it would presumably go on existing might well become unaffordable for many of the currently covered.

I am well aware, it's heavily part of my job providing social service management in California.

You're probably looking at some form of state subsidized program. Even the most ambitious repeal of ACA is not likely to take place until 2018. Tax revenue from newly legalized marijuana already being discussed. Every single Medi-cal bond measure passed. It's bad, but California (while it may have to scale back) isn't going to fully eliminate expanded Medi-Cal benefits. Especially not with a multi billion dollar budget surplus and new tax revenue on the way. No chance. Total cost would be at most $15 billion annually to fully cover as is, that's unlikely but we could be maybe 30% there without significant changes based on identified revenue already that was going to be earmarked for expansion.

Will be painful but there it is. The legislature just expanded enrollment to include undocumented youth, and that's 100% on the state dime. There's very little likelihood DHCS and the State is contemplating letting the exchanges go. Just changes where the subsidies come from and might be forced to modify benefit plans. Could increase price, limit benefits, or push down eligibility ceiling.

We're spending a lot of time just the last couple days talking about this in Sacramento. Got another meeting on Monday. Would cost billions to keep it going as is. Cuts may be necessary, but the general tenor is to keep going and see what can be achieved to maintain the significant gains of the program.

If Trump follows through on the state control of their own Medicaid promise, that's what it will look like. If not, it'll be a hybrid.

Shaun King, of Black Lives Matter fame, put out a request for people who have experienced any incidents of overt racism, islamophobia, homophobia etc since the election to contact him with their story. He's gotten over 3000 emails so far. It's been 2 days.

Trump needs to go on tv and unambiguously dissociate himself from hate groups, racism, etc. Meeting with the Khans would also be a good start.

We have created an environment where some people feel extremely entitled to be absolute jerks. This comes in a variety of forms. Some people are racist & some people are race-baiting liars.

http://nyti.ms/2eFyfIk

But regardless of what this person has done, they are not the problem of secretary Clinton, nor are the others Pres. Elect Trump's.

Seriously, people need to chill out. I am not a weed person but perhaps everyone should take a week off and smoke till they can't remember their own name.

Soar.